Calling all Verbum users

Page 1 of 1 (15 items)
This post has 14 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 28223
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, May 23 2014 2:57 PM

This one is built for Catholics but the pattern should be useful for other groups. This is a reading list intended to be anchored on the left side of your lectionary layout so that you have ready access to related resources. At the moment it isn't fleshed out - your input as to what you want at your fingertips is greatly needed.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 23 2014 3:29 PM

I'm somewhat embarrassed to say that I have not "graduated" to reading lists.  I don't think I understand completely their potential.

For the items listed here I would prefer to have an option of divineoffice.org instead of univeralis.com for the Liturgy of the Hours.

Are these lists easily customizable?

Posts 28223
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 23 2014 3:36 PM

Anyone and everyone can add to them but individuals can't make changes visible only to themselves. I've added your suggestion, the Rosary, the Angelus and a music planning site.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 10402
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 23 2014 3:38 PM

Steve:

I'm somewhat embarrassed to say that I have not "graduated" to reading lists.  I don't think I understand completely their potential.

For the items listed here I would prefer to have an option of divineoffice.org instead of univeralis.com for the Liturgy of the Hours.

Are these lists easily customizable?

They are - but there's always only one list per topic for the whole Logos user community. They are kept at topics.logos.com and use the Logos wiki syntax. Its easy to copy a logos resource location there (the resource menu gives an option "RL") and weblinks are auto-detected. 

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 23 2014 4:24 PM

Do you want the Swedish Mass readings?Stick out tongue

Like I mentioned on some other thread of yours a while back,  http://www.thesacredpage.com/ sometimes has very good posts on the Sunday readings.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 23 2014 4:25 PM

Do you want the Swedish Mass readings?Stick out tongue

Like I mentioned on some other thread of yours a while back,  http://www.thesacredpage.com/ sometimes has very good posts on the Sunday readings.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 6858
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 23 2014 5:57 PM

Glad to see a Verbum in Spanish and Bilingual too.  I will get it as soon as dynamic pricing goes into effect.  Right now I know the price showing on pre-pub is definitely not my price.  It should be way less! 

Please Logos, activate dynamic pricing on Spanish products too.  This is a very much needed feature.

DAL

Posts 3398
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 24 2014 7:13 AM

DAL:
Glad to see a Verbum in Spanish and Bilingual too.  I will get it as soon as dynamic pricing goes into effect.  Right now I know the price showing on pre-pub is definitely not my price.  It should be way less! 

Is it just me*, or has Logos inverted the resource lists on the product listings? It's the Bilingüe version, as listed, that is not bilingual, has many fewer resources, and costs about three times as much as the Spanish version (which is bilingual, as it stands). If I didn't have a higher Verbum base package already, I would definitely put in for the non-Bilingüe version at that price with those resources, and it would be more than well worth it for the English language resources alone... meanwhile, the allegedly Bilingüe version, which has no English resources and costs a couple hundred dollars more is, as it stands, a horrible deal.

*I'm sure it isn't.

Posts 3398
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 24 2014 7:34 AM

SineNomine:
Is it just me, or has Logos inverted the resource lists on the product listings?

I just called in to verify. The lady who answered sent me to Customer Support, which sent me to Products, which almost sent me back to Customer Support, until I told Products who'd sent me to Products. Then I explained it to Products and Products said that it'd be quickly passed on to Marketing. So by the time you, o reader, read this message, it may have been fixed. For Logos's sake, I hope so. If I'm right and it's not fixed soon, it could cost Logos a lot of money.

EDIT/UPDATE: At least Verbum.com and Logos.com are consistent - the same (presumptive) error also appears on Verbum.com.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 24 2014 8:25 AM

SineNomine:
Is it just me*, or has Logos inverted the resource lists on the product listings? It's the Bilingüe version, as listed, that is not bilingual, has many fewer resources, and costs about three times as much as the Spanish version (which is bilingual, as it stands).

I have never in my life seen a company do so many utterly basic errors as Logos does. No one ever seems to check their own work, not even for severe but simple to spot errors like this. They just rush through it, throw it out there, hoping it's correct, and expecting us to check it for them and tell them if it's wrong. Just in my private dealings (mostly purchases) with Logos over the last month, I think they're up to about 10 errors by now. And every time I ask them to correct something, they always seem to leave one error unfixed, or introduce another one instead. I don't think they're allowed the time to do a good job.

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 3398
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 24 2014 8:53 AM

fgh:
I don't think they're allowed the time to do a good job.

That is possible, I think.

I personally think that Logos might benefit a lot from having someone whose full-time job is to look for and fix errors (and typos) on the website, in promotional material, in the actual lists of which base package contains what, etc. This person would also update out-of-date product descriptions and monitor the forums for threads/posts pointing to problems that had not already been identified.

Posts 21
Gary Foster | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 24 2014 9:59 AM

This is great! I never knew about reading lists before, after all this time using the software. I'm constantly learning new things about how powerful it is.

I happened to glance over at my open copy of verbum while I was reading this and saw a link to the reading list. Clicked on it and color me impressed! Now that I know about it, I'll poke around and see if I can find any suggestions (doubtful, it looks pretty comprehensive).

Posts 6858
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 24 2014 11:11 AM

SineNomine:

Is it just me*, or has Logos inverted the resource lists on the product listings? It's the Bilingüe version, as listed, that is not bilingual, has many fewer resources, and costs about three times as much as the Spanish version (which is bilingual, as it stands).

You are correct! And the problem has still not been solved.  I personally don't care because I know enough to tell the difference, but for the sake of looking professional, they should fix it.  Though mistakes like this will always be present to some degree or another which is fine.  I'm looking forward to my dynamic pricing, though Geeked

DAL

Posts 3398
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 24 2014 12:50 PM

DAL:
 I personally don't care because I know enough to tell the difference, but for the sake of looking professional, they should fix it.

That and to avoid complaints from people who pre-order the rather inexpensive Esencial package based on what it only appears to contain.

Posts 3398
SineNomine | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 28 2014 3:25 AM

I just checked, and they have fixed it.

Page 1 of 1 (15 items) | RSS