Expected completion date for EEC

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 23 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 224
André Kamphuis | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, May 24 2014 9:44 AM

The product page for the EEC says that  "The entire 44-volume set will be available in 2019—an unprecedented publication timetable for a commentary of this magnitude."

Looking at how many of the volumes still don't have a year of publication, but TBA instead (11 + two half volumes), is it still realistic to expect that all volumes will be delivered before the end of 2019?

Could someone please provide some clarity? I know that Logos is reluctant to make any promises about the future, but in this case it sounds like they already do. Bob Pritchett once said:

Bob Pritchett:
We tell the truth as honestly and completely as we know it to be right now, and we try to write ALL of our communications in the present tense, with zero promises about the future. If you see a promise about the future in our communications, please feel free to report it to me (bob@logos.com) and I'll have it turned into a statement about the present only.

The line on the product page sounds like a pretty solid statement about the future completion date. I want it to be true, but can it be?

Posts 5315
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 24 2014 11:04 AM

With a large project like this there is unfortunately almost certainly going to be delays. The WBC is a great example. Acts volume one was scheduled to be done in 2008, which got pushed back to 2011, and still the volume is not yet ready to be released even though I have heard on the forums that the author is close to being done. Logos wants to have all the ECC released by 2019, but that may not happen due to no fault in Logos plan (unless you feel that they made a poor choice for authors). I decided to pass on the ECC but I do believe Logos has done their best to choose the authors they feel will produce the highest quality of work and unfortunately the old saying likely holds true you can have it done fast or you can have it done right.

-Dan

Posts 2401
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 24 2014 12:05 PM

I don't have the original release dates in front of me, but I know that several of them have been changed - which is to be expected.

I did purchase the commentary and although I have not used it a lot, I do like them.

Posts 5002
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 24 2014 1:53 PM

I think the last volumes are scheduled to be published no later than the second decade of the Millennium.

Indifferent

Posts 9402
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 24 2014 2:31 PM

Here are the release dates - http://evangelicalexegeticalcommentary.com/volumes/

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 2118
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 24 2014 4:25 PM

Do they charge the total price when you purchase, or do they charge you little by little as volumes come out?

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 2401
Ronald Quick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 24 2014 4:42 PM

You paid for the entire series upfront.  If I remember correctly it could be set up on a payment plan.  I don't remember the total cost, but it went up significantly after the first volume was released.

Posts 2118
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 24 2014 5:03 PM

Ronald Quick:

You paid for the entire series upfront.  If I remember correctly it could be set up on a payment plan.  I don't remember the total cost, but it went up significantly after the first volume was released.

So is the price that they are listed at the price for the whole set?  If so, how does Logos justify charging the full price for the set without any idea when the series will be completed?  That seems to be unprecedented.  

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 1216
Matt Hamrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 24 2014 5:14 PM
Joseph Turner:

Ronald Quick:

So is the price that they are listed at the price for the whole set?  If so, how does Logos justify charging the full price for the set without any idea when the series will be completed?  That seems to be unprecedented.  

This was talked about numerous times before the first volume shipped. Those of us who purchased it has not been disappointed with the series so far. At least by the forum posts there have been hardly any complaints. If you want the series then pay up. If you want the series but can't justify spending the money now then spend it when the series is complete. You can always purchase a single volume and see if you like the series.
Posts 2672
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 24 2014 5:19 PM

David Paul:

I think the last volumes are scheduled to be published no later than the second decade of the Millennium.

I think it will be some time before then so that we can study Daniel [August 30, 2018] and Revelation [March 1, 2017] before the start of that time period.

Posts 10787
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 24 2014 5:23 PM

Ronald Quick:
I don't remember the total cost

Here was my cost, but I do not remember the number of payments in that plan. Paid it off early in any case.

Believe the cash price was $ 699.99. Have been more than pleased with every volume currently in publication. The series is prioritized #1 above NICOT/NT and Pillar.

Posts 2118
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 24 2014 5:25 PM

Matthew Hamrick:
Joseph Turner:

Ronald Quick:

This was talked about numerous times before the first volume shipped. Those of us who purchased it has not been disappointed with the series so far. At least by the forum posts there have been hardly any complaints. If you want the series then pay up. If you want the series but can't justify spending the money now then spend it when the series is complete. You can always purchase a single volume and see if you like the series.

I certainly agree that no one is being forced to buy it, and waiting until the whole set comes out is certainly an option, but it still doesn't follow with the way Logos normally does things.  I haven't kept up with this set and I guess I was just surprised when I realized that people are paying way in advance for books that have no release date in sight.

Posts 2672
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 24 2014 5:31 PM

Jack Caviness:

Here was my cost, but I do not remember the number of payments in that plan. Paid it off early in any case.

Believe the cash price was $ 699.99. Have been more than pleased with every volume currently in publication. The series is prioritized #1 above NICOT/NT and Pillar.

Try clicking on the order number [1029499]  Should break down the order.

Posts 9402
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 24 2014 6:23 PM

Joseph Turner:
I certainly agree that no one is being forced to buy it, and waiting until the whole set comes out is certainly an option, but it still doesn't follow with the way Logos normally does things.  I haven't kept up with this set and I guess I was just surprised when I realized that people are paying way in advance for books that have no release date in sight.

Certainly it is different but I look at it this way. We helped invest in making this series a reality by providing up-front costs. Otherwise I don't think it would ever come to be.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 2118
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, May 24 2014 6:26 PM

Bruce Dunning:

Certainly it is different but I look at it this way. We helped invest in making this series a reality by providing up-front costs. Otherwise I don't think it would ever come to be.

And that definitely seems like a worthwhile cause!

Posts 224
André Kamphuis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, May 30 2014 8:38 AM

I contacted Logos about this, and received some helpful information from the manager of the publishing department:

"We are still hoping that the EEC will be completed by 2020, but realistically, it could take as long as 2022. Massive and tragic unforeseen circumstances, including authors passing away and illnesses of family members, have shifted around its calendar. On a project of this magnitude, it is very difficult to guarantee the delivery dates, as for many of the authors, their work takes upwards of five years to complete.

We will be updating many of the TBA dates on the website soon, as well as pushing out the final estimated completion date to 2022. I am sorry that we are unable to hit that original projected date—so much has changed since then. It is still possible that we will finish the series by 2020, but there are several unknown factors (including finding a new author for one volume) that make us believe that 2020 is no longer a possible deadline to hit.

We will do our best, as we have been doing, to deliver volumes to you as quickly as possible. We appreciate your support of the series and realize how patient you must be to wait on it. Again, our apologies for the delays."

Posts 9402
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 2 2014 3:30 AM

Thanks for the news Andre. I guess delays in this world are inevitable.

Posts 30
williamvarner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 14 2014 1:20 PM

Hi friends on the forum. I can't answer the "when" of the EEC completion, but as one of the authors I can express my delight that Logos has followed though on their commitment to also publish print copies of the commentaries. The Logos blog today features a brief background story on the nature of my James commentary. What it does not mention is that the print copy (600+ pages) is now available on Amazon and some other sites. 

Thanks or your continued interest in the series.

Posts 9402
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 14 2014 5:23 PM

williamvarner:
The Logos blog today features a brief background story on the nature of my James commentary. What it does not mention is that the print copy (600+ pages) is now available on Amazon and some other sites.

Congratulations and thanks for all your hard work.

Posts 224
André Kamphuis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 30 2014 2:16 PM

Well, we have some new dates. These are the changes since the last time I checked.

Numbers: 2015 instead of 2014
1 & 2 Chronicles: 2015 instead of 2014
Nahum, Habakkuk & Zephaniah: 2015 instead of 2014
Galatians: 2016 instead of 2014
Philippians: 2015 instead of 2014
1 & 2 Thessalonians: 2016 instead of 2014

None of the 13 books previously listed as "TBA" have anything more promising (Judges & Ruth, Psalms, Proverbs, Ecclesiastes, Amos & Jonah & Micah, John, Acts, Romans, 1 Corinthians, 2 Corinthians, Colossians, 1 Peter, 2 Peter & Jude)

That is a bit disappointing again, since we were told to expect some update on these titles.

André Kamphuis:
We will be updating many of the TBA dates on the website soon, as well as pushing out the final estimated completion date to 2022.

Page 1 of 2 (24 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS