How many resources do you have?

Page 2 of 4 (69 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 68 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 485
Randy Lane | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 28 2014 3:59 PM

I think it was James DG Dunn that I recently read a blog posting from wherein he shared the misfortune of having to downsize his library from something over 7,000 books to just over 3,000 books (retirement and moving caused the downsizing). Has to travel and use libraries extensively while working on volume 3 of Christianity in the Making. Oh the benefits of digital. Imagine having to chose which of 4,000 or so books to part with. Have some anti-depressants handy.

Posts 18857
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 28 2014 4:35 PM

Ted Hans:
20,830 In my library. The question is, how many have I and those with a large library read?Sad

Why do people keep being discouraged about not having read a high percentage of the books in their libraries? The purpose of accumulating a large library is not so that you can read them all. The larger your library, the better quality research you'll be able to do, the more likely you'll end up having some good hits when you search on a particular topic. You never expect to read all the books in your academic library or local public library, do you? But if you're working on a paper or sermon or article or book, you would want your local library to be very well stocked. Same with your Logos library. The more the merrier, and the smaller percentage of them you'll actually ever read, but that's OK.

Posts 2039
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 28 2014 4:45 PM

I have 5574, and I use them for research in teaching a high school course on biblical literature, Sunday school, and personal study research.  I used it for a masters in biblical studies, and I figure I will eventually pursue a research doctorate in biblical studies.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 2039
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 28 2014 4:50 PM

Rosie Perera:

Ted Hans:
20,830 In my library. The question is, how many have I and those with a large library read?Sad

Why do people keep being discouraged about not having read a high percentage of the books in their libraries? The purpose of accumulating a large library is not so that you can read them all. The larger your library, the better quality research you'll be able to do, the more likely you'll end up having some good hits when you search on a particular topic. You never expect to read all the books in your academic library or local public library, do you? But if you're working on a paper or sermon or article or book, you would want your local library to be very well stocked. Same with your Logos library. The more the merrier, and the smaller percentage of them you'll actually ever read, but that's OK.

Yes 

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 839
Jack Hairston | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 28 2014 5:24 PM

3083 resources (includes Perseus)

I'm a regular guy who just wants to know and understand the Bible.

Posts 1674
Paul Golder | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 28 2014 5:31 PM

Rosie Perera:
several hundred hidden (all the Latin...I wasn't interested in)

Tristitia est,

"As any translator will attest, a literal translation is no translation at all."

Posts 461
Robert Harner | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 28 2014 5:34 PM

Rosie Perera:

The larger your library, the better quality research you'll be able to do, the more likely you'll end up having some good hits when you search on a particular topic.

I have a large number of paper books bought over the decades. Used to search the used book stores regularly for books that looked interesting and had a good price. Used books on line also (as well as new ones). Every now and then I look for a book on a certain subject or sometimes a specific title and find it on a shelf unread the last 10 or however many years. Priceless! And then there is Logos. There I have 13,023 resources.

Posts 277
Ben | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 28 2014 5:36 PM
I'm a pastor and biblical teacher, I have a small library, it's more than 800. haha...

2 Peter 3:18  But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To him be the glory both now and to the day of eternity. Amen.

Posts 87
Pinoy Preacher | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 28 2014 6:02 PM

I'm a pastor too and all I have is 688 resources... :-)

Posts 406
Erik | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 28 2014 6:45 PM

I am an Attorney and attending seminary part-time...my current library size is 6,185.  Given that I could have purchased a Ford Fiesta SE for the amount I've spent in Logos, I can only imagine what was spent by those with 20K+ volume libraries.

Posts 6890
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 28 2014 8:02 PM

This is what Logos tells me I have: 

You own Verbum Basic+ Plus 6253 additional resources Of course, that includes Perseus which for some reason I'm thinking about getting rid of it, since it's just sitting there.  I may just keep the simple ones like Beowulf and shorter sets. DAL
Posts 579
Pam Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 28 2014 8:17 PM

10,627 showing in library; several hundred hidden (is there a way to count these?). Just a retiree who likes to do Bible study. Smile

Posts 6890
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 28 2014 8:37 PM

Pam Larson:

10,627 showing in library; several hundred hidden (is there a way to count these?). Just a retiree who likes to do Bible study. Smile

I could be wrong, but I think they're included in the 10K count you have.  When I try to do an upgrade the number Logos gave me was a little over 6k and Verbum basics +, but in my library only 5571 show (laptop) and 5534 (iPhone & iPad don't know why the discrepancy on the number of resources between iPad and laptop). 

DAL

Posts 3942
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 28 2014 8:38 PM

Randy Lane:

I think it was James DG Dunn that I recently read a blog posting from wherein he shared the misfortune of having to downsize his library from something over 7,000 books to just over 3,000 books (retirement and moving caused the downsizing). Has to travel and use libraries extensively while working on volume 3 of Christianity in the Making. Oh the benefits of digital. Imagine having to chose which of 4,000 or so books to part with. Have some anti-depressants handy.

I actually purchased his NIV bible from the sale... It was just a pew bible with no notes... But I still think its cool.

I have 5903 without perseus.

EDIT: Seminarian, Missionary & on again off again pastor.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 22
Elina A. | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 28 2014 8:41 PM

2,492 resources in my library (including Perseus). Just an ordinary person. Smile

Posts 18857
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 28 2014 9:12 PM

DAL:

Pam Larson:

10,627 showing in library; several hundred hidden (is there a way to count these?).

I could be wrong, but I think they're included in the 10K count you have.

No, they aren't. When you hide a resource and restart Logos, your resource count goes down by one.

The only way to count your hidden resources is to page down through the list and count how many full pages worth there are plus how many titles are on the final partial page, then multiply the first number by 8 (or however many lines per page show up in that list on your screen), and add the second number to that.

I wish there were better management for hidden resources; e.g., a way to sort by author, or filter the list to find a book that you might want to unhide if you can't remember what word its title begins with, select multiple items in the list to unhide all at once, etc. Also, I wish the box that displayed that list could be expanded so you could see more than 8 items at a time, and add at least an author column so you can tell which of several books by the same title the one you're looking for is.

Posts 6890
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 28 2014 9:23 PM

Rosie Perera:

I wish there were better management for hidden resources...

I wish you could hide all Perseus resources all at once.  I got tired really quick of hiding them 10 by 10.  I wish you could tell the program "Hide Perseus Collection" and be done with it.  I'd hate to call sales to ask them to lock it for me when I could just have them hidden and in a sense still handy in case something comes up.

DAL

Posts 18857
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 28 2014 9:30 PM

DAL:
I wish you could hide all Perseus resources all at once.

You can! They added the ability to hide all selected resources at once a few minor versions ago. Just select them all, Ctrl+right-click, and choose "Hide these resources." It works on more than 10 at a time.

Posts 6890
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 28 2014 9:33 PM

Thank you Rosie! I will try that right now!

DAL

Posts 767
Alan Charles Gielczyk | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, May 28 2014 10:18 PM

14,780. Seminary student, SS teacher, and pulpit supply.

Page 2 of 4 (69 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS