Page 1 of 1 (19 items)
This post has 18 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 134
Steve Shelton | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jan 1 2010 12:24 PM

I have read the various posts on read aloud but I am still confused.  I can get L4 to read with the voice which is in windows 7.  The problem is the voice is terrible to listen to for any period of time.  Can this voice be changed?  Can any one give me instructions on how to do this?  Thanks

Posts 320
John Bowling | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2010 12:51 PM

I'm not aware of any way to change it. However, if you have a third party reader program, such as Natural Voice Reader, you can copy the text you want read into that program and use one of their voices.

perspectivelyspeaking.wordpress.com

Posts 134
Steve Shelton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2010 12:59 PM

John

Thanks,  My conclusion from research was that you couldn't change it.  I just wanted to check with someone.on the forum here.

Posts 5018
Forum MVP
Richard DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2010 1:35 PM

Steve Shelton:

John

Thanks,  My conclusion from research was that you couldn't change it.  I just wanted to check with someone.on the forum here.

The voice is completely dependent on Windows (not Logos), if it can be changed, it must be done from Windows Control Panel. In Windows Vista and Windows 7 only one voice is provided (Anna). The Voice pitch and speed can be changed. There is an option to select a different voice, but no other voices are provided.

Help links: WIKI;   Videos; Logos 5 FAQ (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 2567
Forum MVP
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2010 1:42 PM

Steve Shelton:

John

I think in some previous thread on the same subject there was an information that you can buy a third party voice and Windows would use it instead of the default one. At least that's how I remember the information. Microsoft might have some more info on that.

Bohuslav

Posts 174
LogosEmployee
Dan Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2010 2:03 PM

Bohuslav Wojnar:
I think in some previous thread on the same subject there was an information that you can buy a third party voice and Windows would use it instead of the default one.

I think this is the thread: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/3294.aspx

... and here is one place that was mentioned: http://www.naturalreaders.com/order_information.htm

I use "Paul" and it is way better than the default voice from Microsoft.

Posts 2567
Forum MVP
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2010 2:08 PM

Dan Pritchett:

Yes, that's it. Thank you Dan. You were more diligent to find it. It's quite late here in Europe already and it is New Year, so I better quit for today. Have a blessed new year of 2010. You do a great job with Logos Yes

Bohuslav

Posts 532
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2010 2:49 PM

What folder is the replacement voice file to be placed in so that MS Narrator will find it?

Posts 3150
Forum MVP
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2010 6:04 PM

You can change the speed, volume, and pitch of the voice "Anna", if you want to try that thinking that a tweak to the voice may be sufficient for now.

1. Open Narrator by clicking the Start button , clicking All Programs, clicking Accessories, clicking Ease of Access, and then clicking Narrator.

2. Click Voice Settings, and then make any of the following adjustments:

• To select a different voice, click the voice you want to use in the Select Voice box.

• For a faster voice, select a number in the Set Speed list. The higher the number, the faster the voice.

• For a louder voice, select a number in the Set Volume list. The higher the number, the louder the voice.

• For a higher-pitched voice, select a number in the Set Pitch list. The higher the number, the higher the pitch. A higher-pitched voice can make the voice easier for some people to hear.

Posts 134
Steve Shelton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 1 2010 6:47 PM

Dan

Are you using the Windows Narrator for the voice "Paul"?  or are you using another program?  The only thing I found was the use of 3rd party voices with another application.  I can't get the Windows Narrator to recognize any other voices.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Posts 783
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 26 2010 2:34 PM

Dan Pritchett:
I use "Paul" and it is way better than the default voice from Microsoft.

I purchased "Paul" and "Kate" from NeoSpeech when we were in Logos 3 with the forever-beta text-to-speech feature.  Now I use Windows 7, and I have "Anna".  I too like Paul and Kate a lot better than Anna's voice, so I installed "Paul" on my Windows 7 PC.  But Paul doesn't show up in the Control Panel > Speech Recognition > Text to Speech.  Only Anna is selectable from there.

Has anyone been successful in installing Paul & Kate on Win7? (I thought I read somewhere that the WinXP voices are not compatible with Vista/Win7.)

Any help is appreciated.

Peter

Posts 783
PL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 27 2010 5:14 AM

Anyone has any idea?

Posts 532
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 27 2010 6:16 AM

PeterLi:

Anyone has any idea?

I wish I did. I own some of those voices and they are SO much better.

Posts 735
LimJK | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 31 2010 5:05 AM

PeterLi:

Has anyone been successful in installing Paul & Kate on Win7? (I thought I read somewhere that the WinXP voices are not compatible with Vista/Win7.)

Any help is appreciated.

Peter

Peter,

From what I understand only "Anna" the MS supplied voice in Windows 7 is the only voice that supports 64bit, the neospeech voices, AT&T voices are all 32 bit versions.  If you run Windows 7 (32bit) all these voices will be available as expected.

From forum in Nextup.com, apparently there is a workaround for Vista (64bit) to support 32 bit voice, However, I cannot find a way to work around for Windows 7 (64bit).  I junk my vista, so am unable to test that.

I am quite happy with Anna from Windows 7, Logos 4 seems to read most smoothly with this voice vs the 10+ other voices I purchased from Nextup.com over the years; MS supplied Voices from Windows XP is of cause not usable. In my other reply to your other post, there was/is a problem with NeoSpeech voices with Logos 4 which I reported way back in the early betas, but, looks like no one from Logos picks it up. (I did not test it recently - it may have been fixed)

JK

OSX 10.9.2 MacBookPro Retina 15" Late 2013 2.6GHz 16GB RAM 500GB SSD | Windows 8.1 6GB RAM 96GB HDD Parallels 9.0.24229 | iPadAir 32GB iOS 7.1

Posts 3150
Forum MVP
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 31 2010 5:29 AM

I am on Windows 7 64 bit, and the 32 bit voices work fine in Logos if you set them as default.  As said above, do C:\Windows\sysWOW64\speech\SpeechUX\SAPI.cpl and if you installed the voices properly (ie installed the engine that uses the voices, that's what I did with NaturalReader), then the 32 bit voices show up. Make one the default, restart Logos 4, and it uses that voice.

Posts 735
LimJK | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 31 2010 5:29 AM

For Windows 7 (64bit) if you want to use 32 bit voices you might want to try the following at your own risk.  (It works for me - I experimented it on my VM)

You can access the 32 bit speech control panel by opening windows explorer, and pasting the following text into the address field at the top:

%windir%\SysWOW64\speech\SpeechUX\sapi.cpl

Press the enter key to display the control panel (Choose Run when prompted) , select the desired voice (assuming you already installed the 32 bit voice.  Start Logos 4 and try :-)

JK

OSX 10.9.2 MacBookPro Retina 15" Late 2013 2.6GHz 16GB RAM 500GB SSD | Windows 8.1 6GB RAM 96GB HDD Parallels 9.0.24229 | iPadAir 32GB iOS 7.1

Posts 2
David Largent | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Feb 7 2010 9:24 PM

Thank you for your post.  I have Windows 7 64 bit and wanted a better voice than Anna.  Windows was not recognizing the 32 bit AT&T voices until I upgraded NaturalReader from version 7 to version 9.  Upgrade cost was $10, got it by contacting Natural Reader support support@naturalreaders.com 

After upgrading NaturalReader the AT&T voices showed up in Windows Speech Properties.  Now I have the AT&T voices working in Logos 4.

Thanks again for sharing this information this has made Logos 4 more enjoyable.

Posts 1
Kathy Thayer | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 7 2012 7:03 AM

That was very helpful and for me did the trick.

Posts 15281
Forum MVP
alabama24 | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Apr 7 2012 7:13 AM

Kathy Thayer:

That was very helpful and for me did the trick.

Welcome to the forums Kathy! Glad you found an answer you needed. Smile

OSX 10.9 | iOS 7 | L5 Gold | Mac Logs | Install

Page 1 of 1 (19 items) | RSS