Bombastic Scholastics

Page 4 of 4 (73 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4
This post has 72 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 406
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 5 2014 3:32 AM

Sarel Slabbert:

While I am not really following this thread, it appears as if the title is quite accurate. It appears to me as if most participants, particularly  David Paul is quite bombastic in their views, no matter what the view is Stick out tongue

Bombastic? Yes ! Scholastic? The jury is still out ! 

Posts 130
Willard Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 5 2014 3:41 AM

David Paul:
No, not really...not at all. It is incredibly germane...because again, no, the language isn't figurative, it is prophetic. Prophetic language often is figurative, but it is figurative in a literal way.
Now we're getting somewhere ! Stick out tongue

Posts 11064
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 5 2014 7:08 AM

VERY good, Mr Scott!

I never thought we'd be resurrecting the greek pantheon in the 21st century.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 175
Silent Sam | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 5 2014 11:16 AM

Willard Scott:

David Paul:
No, not really...not at all. It is incredibly germane...because again, no, the language isn't figurative, it is prophetic. Prophetic language often is figurative, but it is figurative in a literal way.
Now we're getting somewhere ! Stick out tongue

Hmm HHHMMMmmm~~~ Hmm

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 5 2014 12:46 PM

David Paul:

... yet for all their time invested come to the enlightened conclusion that the books of the Bible are a vast collection of actuary tables.

David Paul,

Thanks for all your posts...  I have read though the thread and I don't think I understand what the basis of criticism is.  Referring to enlightened conclusions of scholars ... "the Bible are a vast collection of actuary tables."

Hmmm.  I'm thinking there is something that is not agreeing with your understanding or approach. 

?

Steve

Posts 4934
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 5 2014 2:12 PM

Steve:

David Paul:

... yet for all their time invested come to the enlightened conclusion that the books of the Bible are a vast collection of actuary tables.

David Paul,

Thanks for all your posts...  I have read though the thread and I don't think I understand what the basis of criticism is. 

I'm assuming you mean you don't understand what the basis of my criticism of certain scholars is. Correct me if I am misunderstanding you.

Steve:

Referring to enlightened conclusions of scholars ... "the Bible are a vast collection of actuary tables."

I am not speaking here of everyone who has an advanced degree in Bible-related concerns. I am talking about those who do not accept that the Book is a living and active whole, but rather feel entirely comfortable picking it apart as though it is just a compilation of loosely related legends and historical half-remembrances pasted together by a group of whozits who were motivated by quasi-religious but primarily provincial political concerns. Almost nothing of value (by which I mean "anything that still has a living pulse") can be extracted from such a discombobulated approach to the Scriptures.

As I said at the outset, my frustration is that I have a variety of resources in my library (much of which has come to me in prepackaged collection form) and among these resources I may come across an intriguing title hinting at the promise of a genuine insight or two...only to find that the author(s) are of the "low view" school that I just described. Result? Anticipation denied, and one more title in my rather expensive collection goes into the figurative burn pile, useless to me. That's my frustration. In some ways it is a frustration unique to Logos, considering that most folks who acquire books piecemeal wouldn't have this same cause of irritation...it stems from collection and bundle purchases.

Steve:

Hmmm.  I'm thinking there is something that is not agreeing with your understanding or approach. 

Perhaps...though I am not entirely sure what you are driving at, so I will have to ask you to be a bit less cryptic, if you don't mind.

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 5 2014 4:07 PM

David Paul:

Steve:

David Paul:

David Paul,

Thanks for all your posts...  I have read though the thread and I don't think I understand what the basis of criticism is. 

I'm assuming you mean you don't understand what the basis of my criticism of certain scholars is. Correct me if I am misunderstanding you.

Steve:

Correct, I don't understand.

I am not speaking here of everyone who has an advanced degree in Bible-related concerns. I am talking about those who do not accept that the Book is a living and active whole.

Yes. Living and active whole is a confusing term.  What do our mean?

s I said at the outset, my frustration is that I have a variety of resources in my library (much of which has come to me in prepackaged collection form) and among these resources I may come across an intriguing title hinting at the promise of a genuine insight or two...only to find that the author(s) are of the "low view" school that I just described. Result? Anticipation denied, and one more title in my rather expensive collection goes into the figurative burn pile, useless to me. That's my frustration. In some ways it is a frustration unique to Logos considering that most folks who acquire books piecemeal wouldn't have this same cause of irritation...it stems from collection and bundle purchases.

Steve:

Perhaps...though I am not entirely sure what you are driving at, so I will have to ask you to be a bit less cryptic, if you don't mind.

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 5 2014 4:08 PM

Steve:

David Paul:

Steve:

David Paul:

David Paul,

Steve:

Correct, I don't understand.

I am not speaking here of everyone who has an advanced degree in Bible-related concerns. I am talking about those who do not accept that the Book is a living and active whole.

Yes. Living and active whole is a confusing term.  What do our mean?

Steve:

Posts 4934
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 5 2014 4:15 PM

Were you intending to post something? You can probably delete one of those double posts.

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 5 2014 4:26 PM

David Paul:

Were you intending to post something? You can probably delete one of those double posts.

I am totally lost.  Sorry.  Yes, I am lost.Tongue Tied

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 5 2014 4:31 PM

David Paul:

Sorry.  Yes, confused on posting something ,,, I guess my mother has decided something else... about posting something about way back before I was on the radar.

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 5 2014 4:32 PM

I'm thinking she was there before I was was long time ago.  that was then.

Posts 4934
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 5 2014 4:59 PM

9-1-1...use it if you need it. You may want to ask your mom about upping your dosage. I think they make GPS apps for smart phones these days, if you have one.

Idea Wink

Page 4 of 4 (73 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 | RSS