Is it possible to copy *only* a book reference and not the book text?

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 3
Seth Payne | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jun 6 2014 2:32 PM

My apologies if this has been addressed before but a quick search didn't seem to answer my question.

When working with a book in Logos 5 I'd like to be able to copy a reference only with no text.

Obviously this works great when I copy/paste text from the book but I can't figure out how to just get the *reference* when I don't want/need to copy text.

Any ideas?

Posts 25270
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 6 2014 3:15 PM

On the tab menu you can select to Copy Location as: URL, HTML, Wiki or RL -> whichever suits your purpose. Then use CTRL+ALT+C to perform the copy and CTRL+V to paste the reference.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 3
Seth Payne | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 6 2014 4:37 PM

Ah.  I see.  Thanks for your help!

But doesn't look like there is a way to copy a formatted reference.

Posts 18821
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 6 2014 4:55 PM

Seth Payne:
But doesn't look like there is a way to copy a formatted reference.

Are you talking about a bibliographic citation?

I was looking for a way to do that the other day too, and it doesn't appear there is one. You can copy the citation for the whole resource by opening the resource's info panel (click the 'i' in the upper right) and then clicking Copy next to the citation.

But there's currently no way to copy the citation for the current location within a resource. The best you can do is copy/paste some text you don't care about into a Word document, then copy the text from the footnote that is generated as your reference and undo the paste. Then you can paste your bibliographic reference to wherever you need it.

Logos should consider creating a "Copy as bibliographic entry" command on the panel menu, for just this sort of need. I'm going to add that suggestion to UserVoice, if you'd like to join me in voting for it. http://logos.uservoice.com/forums/42823-logos-bible-software-5/suggestions/6019915-add-a-command-for-copy-as-bibliographic-entry-to 

Posts 4804
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 6 2014 6:21 PM

Dave Hooton:

On the tab menu you can select to Copy Location as: URL, HTML, Wiki or RL -> whichever suits your purpose. Then use CTRL+ALT+C to perform the copy and CTRL+V to paste the reference.

Is there a place that explains what these choices are and why we would use them?

Posts 169
Daniel NM | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 6 2014 6:27 PM

David Paul:

Dave Hooton:

Is there a place that explains what these choices are and why we would use them?

http://wiki.logos.com/Hyperlinks#Creating

<!-- -->

Posts 18821
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 6 2014 6:30 PM

David Paul:

Dave Hooton:

Use URL for use within Logos (e.g., in Notes), HTML if you're creating a web page and want a link to a Logos resource in it, Wiki if you're editing wiki.logos.com or some other wiki and want a link to a Logos resource in it, RL for creating Reading Lists (topics.logos.com).

Posts 4804
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 6 2014 6:38 PM

Thank you & thank you.

Posts 512
Sarel Slabbert | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 6 2014 10:23 PM

This is going to be long winded, but hopefully it can help someone, so please excuse the ramblings. If you tend to use more than one program for research i.e. e-Sword, Logos, Accordance, Bibleworks, whatever.... this method could help you.

I use this method a lot when researching something in different Bible programs. Logos has a great tool called Clippings, but unfortunately you cannot paste from other programs into clippings. To keep all my resource notes together I use a plain word processor, a little program called Always-on-top and my different programs like Logos and e-Sword etc.

I have a dual screen setup, but this is also manageable in a normal single screen setup. Most Bible programs have layout options. My first step is to choose layout option that allows met to resize my Word processor in one of these layout windows. In Logos I simply open an empty Note File and resize my word processor onto this window. Using Always-on-top (a program that can force any windows app to stay on top of another) I resize my Word processor over the space for the note file. This means that the Word processor will stay open in that spot no matter what I do in Logos or any other program. I keep the Word processor a little smaller than the Note Window at the top so I can see if Logos open any resources under my Word Processor (this tend to happen a lot). If it happens, I simply move the resource to the other side. I do the same with my other programs. On a single screen setup you will have to format all your pograms so that your word processor has a single spot in all your programs. This will result in Word always staying on top on one side of your screen no matter what program is running beneath it. With a bit of patience it is quite easy to do.

Then running all my programs I do all my necessary searches and reading (switching between the programs), I copy and paste any related info I need into the word processor (sometimes drag and drop works just as well).

THIS NEXT STEP IS IMPORTANT AND SHOULD BE DONE FOR EVERY PIECE OF INFO YOU COPY INTO THE WORD PROCESSOR.

Then for everything I copied I also use Ctrl-Alt-C to copy the hyperlink in that program.  Then I highlight either the footnote in the Word Processor or a part of the text and use Ctrl-K to open the Paste Hyperlink option. I then paste the hyperlink into the necessary space and voila... whenever I want to return to any resource in any of the programs I used I simply press Ctrl and click the link and my resource open in the specified program (whether Logos, e-Sword etc.).

This way you can come back to you research at a later date and simply click on the link in your word document and it will open the necessary resource in the different programs. This works for all windows programs AFAIK.

I hope this is helpful for someone.

Posts 25270
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 7 2014 10:18 PM

David Paul:

You can hover over each term in the menu for an explanation!

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS