New Install - Brilliant!

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 20
Stephen Egge | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jan 2 2010 8:15 AM

I built a new computer over the holidays ... I had some speed issues, some corruption apparently in one of my dlls ... my Logos 3 wouldn't run anymore ... and I was faced with redoing a new clean install of Windows XP on my old computer or building a new one.  So I built a barnburner.  Using Windows 7 professional 64bit.

I installed Logos 4 from my "download" purchase. It took a while ... downloading over 2,000 resources  ... but everything showed up and it  indexed much faster on this computer (i7-870 cpu with 8 gig ram).  I was amazed to see all my "notes", "clippings" and "handouts" I had created on my old install show up on my new install. My hats off to Logos 4!

I installed 3.0 also ... hopefully as Logos 4 improves in functionality, I will be able to delete that install.

Steve Egge

Posts 403
777 | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 8:20 AM

Stephen Egge:

I built a new computer over the holidays ... I had some speed issues, some corruption apparently in one of my dlls ... my Logos 3 wouldn't run anymore ... and I was faced with redoing a new clean install of Windows XP on my old computer or building a new one.  So I built a barnburner.  Using Windows 7 professional 64bit.

I installed Logos 4 from my "download" purchase. It took a while ... downloading over 2,000 resources  ... but everything showed up and it  indexed much faster on this computer (i7 570 cpu with 8 gig ram).  I was amazed to see all my "notes", "clippings" and "handouts" I had created on my old install show up on my new install. My hats off to Logos 4!

I installed 3.0 also ... hopefully as Logos 4 improves in functionality, I will be able to delete that install.

Steve Egge

Can you adopt me?

Windows 7 64 bit is the best Windows I've ever seen and I used Windows 2 where the Windows would not even overlap.  Smile  Windows 7 doesn't even require a 5.25 inch floppy drive like Windows 2 did. Yes

Posts 87
Ray D | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 8:30 AM

I agree Stephen, Logos4 on Windows 7 on a hopped up computer (I use a Dell Studio XPS 16) is simply awesome. 8G of RAM, that must have set you back a couple of dollars. Ick!

Posts 260
DanC | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 9:14 AM

I saw an Emachines cup with 6 GB memory and 750 GB hard drive, AMD Athlon II X2 Dual-Core Processor 235e 2.7GHz  at Walmart yesterday for $398. How prices have come down in the last ten years!

Posts 1390
Blair Laird | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 10:01 AM

Dan Cleghorn:

I saw an Emachines cup with 6 GB memory and 750 GB hard drive, AMD Athlon II X2 Dual-Core Processor 235e 2.7GHz  at Walmart yesterday for $398. How prices have come down in the last ten years!

Wow prices really have come down, time to upgrade...

Posts 4508
Robert Pavich | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 10:15 AM

MikeM:
Windows 7 64 bit is the best Windows I've ever seen

MikeM,

I agree wholeheartedly..

PS:  I got dibs on the adoption! Big Smile

Robert Pavich

For help go to the Wiki: http://wiki.logos.com/Table_of_Contents__

Posts 2774
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 10:36 AM

MikeM:
Windows 7 64 bit is the best Windows I've ever
Set the bar low enough and jumping over a poodle seems high.

Seriously though, I have heard good things and hope to upgrade my wife's laptop with Win7 in the next week.  I hope her system is sturdy enough to handle it.

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 323
Doug | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 12:31 PM

Dan Cleghorn:

I definitely do not advise anyone to buy the Emachines thing from Walmart or anywhere else though.  Build your own.  It's so simple to do now.  In fact, I am doing the same thing the original poster did next week.  I can't wait to try out the i7.  I'm only getting 4 gigs of ram though. 

Posts 403
777 | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 3 2010 7:44 PM

DouglasEStephens:

I definitely do not advise anyone to buy the Emachines thing from Walmart or anywhere else though.  Build your own.  It's so simple to do now.  In fact, I am doing the same thing the original poster did next week.  I can't wait to try out the i7.  I'm only getting 4 gigs of ram though. 

I've been building my own desktops since the old 10Mhz XT Turbo motherboards were out and I can't wait to make up an i7.  I'm still huffing and puffing here with R2D2 - a Core 2 Duo E6600 with an Asus P5B motherboard and 4 gigzo'ram.  At least this one didn't set me back 6 grand like the P4 in the garage with a gig of rambus ram.  That was waaaay expensive to build, especially with the Jaz drive and a dozen disks at over a hundred a pop.  I think I built that one the week the P4 came out and bleeding edge is hard on the wallet.

Have fun with your i7 build.

Posts 77
Geneva Smith Krag | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 3:17 PM

Ray,

what has been your experience with the Dell Studio XPS 16 laptop? What have you found regarding overheating and battery life issues when running L4?

Posts 67
Michael Thebert | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Mar 1 2010 9:06 PM

What is the optimal RAM for Logos 4?  From what I can see it doesn't really go over 2 gig used while the program is open.  4 gig would be nice for other things working at the same time.  Any advantage to 8 gig RAM?

Posts 210
Gerald P. Swetsky | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 2 2010 1:14 PM

Dan Cleghorn:

I wonder if that really had the 64 bit OS installed.  Just because it has six gigs of ram......

Just brought up Windows 7 pro 32 bit with two gigs of rem.  Right now I have Thunderbird, Firefox, iTunes, L4 and the Windows XP simulator running and it's taking 1.17 gig of ram.  I was advised to stick with the 32 bit os and so far I'm glad I did.

Gerry

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 2 2010 2:43 PM

Laters OSes (Vista, Windows 7, and their companion server operating systems) make much better use of memory.  The theory is, that if the memory is there, use it.  People were originally spooked because their XP machine running Excel and Word used 500MB of memory (say), and their new machine with Vista and the same stuff running used 3 GB!  The difference is the new machine has 6 GB of memory, so they more advanced OSes will use it - caching, prefetched information, and the like.

So an advantage of a 64 bit OS is not only the memory you can have > 3.8GB, but that the system will use it to make things faster. My laptop right now has two browsers and Outlook up, and it's using 3.3GB. But the machine has 8GB, so almost 5GB is idle.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS