How do I set up a simple homepage?

Page 1 of 1 (18 items)
This post has 17 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 27
Ronald Arndt | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jan 2 2010 8:35 AM

good grief, 4 pages of info is overkill for me. I would just like ONE page say with a morning and evening reading and of course without the other pages along with the Logos welcome reminder.So how can I do this?

Posts 439
Mark Stevens | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 8:46 AM

Ronald, if you go to the bottom right hand corner there is a customise option. From there you can chose what does and does not appear on the home page. (Sorry I can't provide a screen shot at the moment).

Hope that helps.

Posts 439
Mark Stevens | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 1:19 PM

Sorry, it was VERY late last night when I responded...I meant bottom left-hand corner.

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 1:24 PM

From that Customize menu, you can also disable the home page altogether, which is what some of us do. I like to get right to my study. I can open the home page once every couple of weeks if I want to see whether there are any new pre-pubs I might be interested in or whatever. And I can use a layout for my daily devotions if I want to do that -- I showed someone how in this thread.

Posts 439
Mark Stevens | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 2:06 PM

Rosie Perera:
you can also disable the home page altogether, which is what some of us do

Rosie, what does L4 open to when you do this?

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 2:29 PM

MarkStevens:

Rosie Perera:
you can also disable the home page altogether, which is what some of us do

Rosie, what does L4 open to when you do this?

It just opens up to the main Bible study screen. The "Home Page" is really a misnomer, in my opinion. It's a welcome screen really. And you move on from there to go study the Bible and use your other resources. You don't stay there to do everything. Yes, you can do some simple searching from the "Passage Box" or "Go Box" (or whatever it's called) on the Home Page, but sooner or later you get used to just using the tools directly and you can abandon that crutch.

Here's the "Home Page" -- it's that thing that looks like a newspaper with the "ribbon" across the top for choosing your preferred Bible and reading plan and such:

You can close that and move on to the main screen either by doing a search in the passage box or by clicking the Home icon up at the upper left. Here is the main screen (one particular layout that I happen to have set up, but your layout will vary depending on what resources and tools you have open at the time):

I bypass the home page completely and start up in the main screen because I don't find anything in the home page of much use to me, most of the time. So I turn off the "Show home page at startup" checkbox at the bottom of the Customize menu on the Home Page:

Posts 187
Anthony Etienne | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 2:47 PM

RonaldArndt:

good grief, 4 pages of info is overkill for me. I would just like ONE page say with a morning and evening reading and of course without the other pages along with the Logos welcome reminder.So how can I do this?

Ronald I believe your question was answered here http://community.logos.com/forums/t/8605.aspx when you asked about doing the same thing with just the devotionals. If you do not want all the info shown on four pages; 1. turn off the material you don't want to see 2. maximize your window and you should only get 1 page.

Posts 439
Mark Stevens | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 3:35 PM

Rosie Perera:
I bypass the home page completely and start up in the main screen because I don't find anything in the home page of much use to me, most of the time. So I turn off the "Show home page at startup" checkbox at the bottom of the Customize menu on the Home Page:

I tried this Rosie and all I got was a blank screen. Firstly, I wondered how you "start" from the main screen? Secondly, is there a way to establish a common layout that always opens on start up or do you simply click a layout and begin there?

Does that make anysense?

Thanks, Mark

Posts 27
Ronald Arndt | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 3:36 PM

hey tony, listen up. There is no place in the customize section to eliminate the Welcome text on your homepage nor the daily bible text section. I just want my home page to display the morning and evening devotional text AND NOTHING else.Why is that so hard to understand? And the computer geeks at Libronix could have made it easuer as well.But they just want to show how smart they are.

Posts 2246
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 3:39 PM

RonaldArndt:
hey tony, listen up.

Manners never hurt and often help....

RonaldArndt:
There is no place in the customize section to eliminate the Welcome text

And there is no need. It will disappear. Live with it.

RonaldArndt:
nor the daily bible text section.

I'm sorry that you have to be confronted with a passage from the Scriptures every time you start Logos.

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 4:06 PM

MarkStevens:

I tried this Rosie and all I got was a blank screen. Firstly, I wondered how you "start" from the main screen? Secondly, is there a way to establish a common layout that always opens on start up or do you simply click a layout and begin there?

Does that make anysense?

Hi Mark, first thing to know is that Logos will remember whatever your layout was when you last closed it and will bring that one back up again, so once you've set it up the way you like it you should be good to go from then on. How I "start" from the main screen is I open Logos and the main screen comes up, with whatever layout I left off from (since I've turned off the home page).

Now, how to get to something interesting from that first-time blank layout. Yes, I'm guessing you've got that blank deer-in-the-headlines stare right now like I did the first time I got there; it's been a few weeks already, so I'd forgotten all about that bewilderment. Sorry!

When I first got to the blank layout, I just started exploring by typing in something into the "Command" bar at the top of the blank layout. That is a useful little tool. It's where you can open any resource from (there are other ways to do it which you'll discover as you get more familiar with the product -- such as clicking on a title in your Library, but the command bar is usually the first place to start). Try typing in a Bible reference there. Say, Romans 12:2 (I was just quoting that recently so it's on my mind). It will open your preferred Bible up to that passage. Ah, you ask, how does it know what my preferred Bible is? (Well, that's one thing the Home Page is good for -- you do need to choose what your favorite translation is when you start up Logos for the very first time, but I'm assuming you've found where to do that already since you were stuck on the Home Page for a while.)

So now that you know how to open your favorite Bible to any given passage, what else can you do from the blank layout? Try exploring the Library and Search commands (the two big icons that look like a book and a magnifying glass right next to the house icon in the upper left corner -- the house icon will take you back to the Home Page).  Sorry about the red arrow; I'm just re-using a graphic I used for something else:

Better yet, before I walk you through too much more of getting started, why not go over to the Logos website and watch some of the introductory videos: www.logos.com/video. Learn about how to navigate in your library to open different books you've got, learn about how to do a Basic search (for some text in all your resources) and a Bible search (specific to Bibles and shows the results verse by verse). Learn about how to set up different layouts for study using your many resources (Bibles, dictionaries, commentaries and such) and how to link them together so they will scroll in tandem when you navigate to a different verse in your Bible. Then come back here with some more questions.

Posts 10845
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 4:10 PM

RonaldArndt:

hey tony, listen up. There is no place in the customize section to eliminate the Welcome text on your homepage nor the daily bible text section. I just want my home page to display the morning and evening devotional text AND NOTHING else.Why is that so hard to understand? And the computer geeks at Libronix could have made it easuer as well.But they just want to show how smart they are.

Some people respond to polite requests better than they do to insults. Every post I have read from you is rude, full of misspelled words, and full of derogatory comments about our intelligence. Perhaps, you should try a different approach.

Posts 439
Mark Stevens | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 4:24 PM

Rosie, you are a legend. thank you so very muchly! Big Smile

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 4:31 PM

MarkStevens:

Mark, I just noticed you've been around the Forums for a while (164 posts) and have been answering other people's questions already. I'm astounded that I just taught you something you didn't know already. Are you pulling my leg or did you really need that help? It seemed so obvious to me -- well, I discovered it after a little playing around, but I can't imagine trying to use Logos for a few weeks without knowing how to do those basic things. You must be extraordinarily perseverent. Blessings in your Bible study!

Posts 187
Anthony Etienne | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 5:12 PM

RonaldArndt:

Sorry Ronald, if I offended you in any way; I thought that myself and Rosie and others answered your questions by giving you some options to accomplish them.

God bless you and yours

Posts 439
Mark Stevens | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 6:36 PM

Rosie Perera:

MarkStevens:

Mark, I just noticed you've been around the Forums for a while (164 posts) and have been answering other people's questions already. I'm astounded that I just taught you something you didn't know already. Are you pulling my leg or did you really need that help? It seemed so obvious to me -- well, I discovered it after a little playing around, but I can't imagine trying to use Logos for a few weeks without knowing how to do those basic things. You must be extraordinarily perseverent. Blessings in your Bible study!

Actually, I have only been around since L4 release...I had no idea it returned to the previous layout. I have always begun from the home page. I have just installed L4 on my brand new laptop and had yet to do any study so I had no previous layouts (although I notice that it has synced my layouts from my desktop computer at work). I was kind of hoping I could establish a personal start page that included a blank exegetical guide and my preferred resources (which I have somehow learnt from what you have mentioned)  without me having to rely on a previous 'used' layout. I asked the question of you concerning how you 'began' your study hoping Logos had added the feature I was looking for. I would really love it if my preffered layout was what i opened to every time I started Logos.

As for the 'legend' comment...probbaly lost in translation. You added pics and answered very comprehensively. You don't know how helpful that is for a techno moron like myself.  I was also trying ot make a point of being nice!!! Big Smile

Posts 19333
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 9:26 PM

MarkStevens:

Actually, I have only been around since L4 release...I had no idea it returned to the previous layout. I have always begun from the home page. I have just installed L4 on my brand new laptop and had yet to do any study so I had no previous layouts (although I notice that it has synced my layouts from my desktop computer at work). I was kind of hoping I could establish a personal start page that included a blank exegetical guide and my preferred resources (which I have somehow learnt from what you have mentioned)  without me having to rely on a previous 'used' layout. I asked the question of you concerning how you 'began' your study hoping Logos had added the feature I was looking for. I would really love it if my preffered layout was what i opened to every time I started Logos.

You can create your favorite layout for a "personal start page" and then save it with a name, as follows: Go into the Layouts menu and click on the pencil icon [1] next to the timestamp of the topmost layout Snapshot -- aka the "Now" layout; you'll see "Edit this text" pop up when you hover over the right place where you can click [2]; once you've clicked, you can then type whatever name you like [3] and press Enter.

Once you've named that Layout it will be saved automatically when you close Logos and you can open it up from the Layouts menu when you start Logos next time. If you want to make it quicker to open up, you can drag its name from the Layouts menu to the shortcut bar, like this (see video below), and then all you need to do is click on that shortcut icon to open your favorite startup layout. Unfortunately there is currently no way to have Logos open up a specific layout upon startup automatically. It used to be able to do that with "saved workspaces" in Logos 3, but layouts are implemented a different way than workspaces, and the full functionality that was in L3 is not yet implemented in L4, so this little feature enhancement should be coming in a future release. They know we've been asking for it.Smile

MarkStevens:

As for the 'legend' comment...probbaly lost in translation. You added pics and answered very comprehensively. You don't know how helpful that is for a techno moron like myself.  I was also trying ot make a point of being nice!!! Big Smile

Oh, it wasn't lost in translation. I appreciated it very much. Thank you! I just didn't think I deserved it. But it's very kind of you and I'm glad to know I really did help you.

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 3 2010 12:26 AM

RonaldArndt:
Hello Sir,

People come to this forum from all backgrounds and many nations.  I don't even know if you are a Christian, or maybe just someone who simply loves reading books. 

What I do know is this.  I have met many of the folks at Logos and found them to be genuine, kind, thoughtful people who are passionate about helping others know the Scripture.  The people on these forums are trying to help.  Some, like myself, are pastors in full time ministry.  Others are lay leaders who love to serve.

What I do know is that your name calling and inflammatory language is not becoming of a Christian toward another brother or sister in Christ.  

My prayer for you dear Sir, is that if you are a follower of Jesus, you will find conviction from the Spirit and temper your words with the love of Christ.

If you are not a Christian, but merely a seeker of knowledge, then I pray you find freedom from the anger in your heart.

I also pray you find the help you need to work L4.  It really is an amazing program that will serve you well in this life.

I bid you peace.

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Page 1 of 1 (18 items) | RSS