Priority Bug? Greek NT and Lexicon

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 2421
Lee | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jun 16 2014 7:25 PM

I have tried tweaking and re-tweaking the prioritization list, and also searched the forums. So I apologise if this is a simple question that has been answered.

The issue: no matter how hard I try, browsing the UBS4 Greek NT with Apparatus and double-clicking a Greek term I always get the Lexham Analytical Lexicon to the Greek NT even though I prioritized BDAG.

How do I double-click and get BDAG, the way I want it? If not possible, isn't this a bug?

Resource: LLS:1.0.3021
2009-09-09T19:41:01Z
BB_SBB_UBS4THNT.lbxlls

Ver. 5.2a SR-6, on Win 8.1

Posts 25964
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 16 2014 7:30 PM

Lee:
If not possible, isn't this a bug?

I get Louw-Nida as I would expect. but isn't BDAG for Hebrew?Embarrassed

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2421
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 16 2014 7:36 PM

No, BDAG is Greek.

William Arndt, Frederick W. Danker, and Walter Bauer, A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament and Other Early Christian
Literature
(Chicago: University of Chicago Press, 2000).

It's strange that it works on your setup. I wonder why my setup is behaving this way.

Posts 25964
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 16 2014 7:47 PM

I'd be fairly certain you have a stray record in prioritization. Unfortunately we have no find or copy to assist in finding it. I've gotten very frustrated at time before I've found the problem.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2421
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 16 2014 7:52 PM

FWIW, I've tried deleting all entries on my priority list, and putting entries back one by one. The Lexham lexicon is nowhere on my priority list.

Funny thing is, it works with NA27, NA28, and the regular UBS4. For that particular resource it's frozen on the Lexham lexicon.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 16 2014 8:24 PM

Lee:
Funny thing is, it works with NA27, NA28, and the regular UBS4. For that particular resource it's frozen on the Lexham lexicon.

Right Click in UBS4 Greek NT w/Apparatus (BB_SBB_UBS4THNT.lbxlls) shows this resource does not have lemma tagging.

In John 1:1, clicked on manuscript text that matches lemma: e.g. θεὸς to open BDAG.  Clicking on manuscript text that does not match lemma: e.g. θεόν finds Lexham Analytical Lexicon because BDAG indexing of Greek headwords only has lemma's.

Double clicking lemma in Lexham Analytical Lexicon opens BDAG to lemma.  Also can right click on lemma in Lexham Analytical Lexicon to see Top 5 prioritized resources that have selection in their Greek Headword indexes:

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 25964
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 16 2014 9:17 PM

It works correctly for me with the DBAG

Posts 2421
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 16 2014 10:35 PM

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):

Lee:

Right Click in UBS4 Greek NT w/Apparatus (BB_SBB_UBS4THNT.lbxlls) shows this resource does not have lemma tagging.

Keep Smiling Smile

Thanks for replying. So no lemma tagging means it can only bring up the Lexham lexicon?

I'm surprised. Every other resource works as expected, GNT, Septuagint and the like.

@MJ:

You're looking at the UBS4 With Morphology. That one has lemma tagging and works for me too. We're talking about UBS4 With Apparatus which is a different resource item. For some reason, it's different as KS4J has said.

Posts 8893
fgh | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 17 2014 4:07 AM

Lee:
So no lemma tagging means it can only bring up the Lexham lexicon?

Yes. Or another analytical lexicon.

It's no different to English: if you want to look up 'went' in a lexicon, you need to know that it's a form of 'go'. Or you need someone or something to tell you that it is. Or you need an analytical lexicon. Logos doesn't 'know' Greek or Hebrew or Latin or even English, so without tagging telling it what lemma to look for, all it can do is retreat to analytical lexicons.

Lee:
Every other resource works as expected, GNT, Septuagint and the like.

There are others without lemma tagging, but you may not have them.

"The Christian way of life isn't so much an assignment to be performed, as a gift to be received."  Wilfrid Stinissen

Mac Pro OS 10.9.

Posts 2421
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 17 2014 7:14 AM

Thanks for that insight. An unexpected lacuna. Sad

Posts 171
Adam Rao | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 18 2014 12:01 PM

This is one of the 'problems' I ran into with Logos immediately – when you purchase the academic versions of the original language texts with apparatuses, you end up with NA27 with morphology but UBS4 without morphology, which basically makes the UBS4 useless as your primary Greek text since, as you note, you'll want to right-click on a word and open up BDAG (or any other non-analytical lexicon or resource - e.g. TDNT) quite frequently.

It'd be great to get a UBS4 with apparatus and morphology (right now you can have one or the other), but I doubt it'll happen before the next version of UBS is released, so... I suggest doing what I did – start using NA27 as your standard Greek text and only open up UBS4 if you need its apparatus for use with Metzger or for some other reason. Annoying, to say the least.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 18 2014 8:59 PM

Adam Rao:
... start using NA27 as your standard Greek text and only open up UBS4 if you need its apparatus for use with Metzger or for some other reason. Annoying, to say the least.

Logos Support has => https://www.logos.com/support/lbs/na-v-ubs that includes differences between NA and UBS.

NA27 with Apparatus has lemma tagging.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS