Page 2 of 4 (68 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 67 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 1875
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 19 2014 7:34 AM

Bradley Grainger (Logos):

Fredc:
After looking at it briefly it seems to be something I would likely keep turned off.

Can you explain why?

I don't do Beta any more, but if it ever makes SR, I'll definitely keep it turned off. I wouldn't want to lose focus on the task I was undertaking in Logos. When I'm doing sermon preparation that's my focus. If I'm going shopping in Logos then that's my focus.

I don't multi-task!

Every blessing

Alan

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 3.6GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.15.5; 1TB SSD; Logos 8

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.13.6; 256GB SSD; Logos 8

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 13.5.1

iPhone 8+ 64GB iOS 13.5.1

Posts 13417
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 19 2014 7:37 AM

David Ames:
And yes, a way to turn it off and on.

You can turn it off now by creating a custom guide template without that section included.

Posts 5619
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 19 2014 7:56 AM

Mark Barnes:

David Ames:
And yes, a way to turn it off and on.

You can turn it off now by creating a custom guide template without that section included.

Plus, it's not automatically inserted into existing custom guides. So if you are already using only customized guides then you may never see it.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 19 2014 8:32 AM

It should be turned off by default.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 19 2014 8:35 AM

I do ALL my shopping with 'Customers also bought' on Apple's iTunes.  I'm not sure why the algorythm on iTunes gets me what I'm looking for.  Same for Amazon, where I don't quite hit the title that pleases.

But I shop when I'm shopping.   Logos.com's 'you might like' is abysmal ... unrelated, often never changes, and quite clearly forced.

Since I don't use the guides,  I keep Logos off the internet, and by principle I don't commercialize Bible study, then Logos.com is the criticality. 

Why don't they fix Logos.com first?  It's too obvious.  It's where the customer normally shops.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 852
Tim Hensler | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 19 2014 11:30 AM

I like it.  Yes, as stated in the release notes, it's a work in progress, so I am looking forward to see the results of that progress.  I have a large Logos library, but it's nice to quickly check to see what else is available when I'm studying or preparing to teach on a topic or passage, in case there's something available that would be helpful beyond what I already have.  To see a list and preview the resources right in Logos is sweet.  

Thank you, Logos.

Posts 2771
Erwin Stull, Sr. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 19 2014 11:57 AM

This feature is useful when looking for resources on a subject that are not in the library. The feature must ALWAYS have the option to be disabled if desired.

Posts 31976
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 19 2014 1:04 PM

Lynden Williams:

The bookstore tab is not working for me in Topic Guide either.

Try Redemption before coming to that conclusion - I was just about to give up also ....tried redemption and then was able to find a pattern of likely candidates that generally worked.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 31976
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 19 2014 1:08 PM

Mark Barnes:
The big thing that is lacking is a preview of that particular topic.

I agree with Mark although I might tweak the details a bit.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 31976
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 19 2014 1:11 PM

Jesse Blevins:
If it comes across as a hard sale approach or I can't even study my bible without Logos trying to sell me something, forget it!

It shouldn't come across that way because you can avoid it by:

• deleting the section from My Guide
  • leaving the section closed

Posts 31976
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 19 2014 1:15 PM

Alan Macgregor:
I wouldn't want to lose focus on the task I was undertaking in Logos.

I see it more as a tool to see if I have enough material on topic X to do task Y. Currently when my answer is "no" I go to logos.com and get annoyed at the weaknesses of the search. This would either get me interesting results faster or get me annoyed without the extra step of going to the browser.Geeked

Posts 2964
tom | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 19 2014 1:17 PM

Fredc:

Fredc:
After looking at it briefly it seems to be something I would likely keep turned off.

Can you explain why?

I see this feature as being the equivalent of the "you might also like" or "customers also bought" banner adds on a shopping site. Aside from the fact that when I sit down to read and study I am not interested in shopping at the same time, when I do shop I know what I am looking for and buy that particular item; I don't browse to see what I "might also like". 

I too do not want to see this.

Fredc:

Fredc:
I would speculate most users will not find much use for it.

Many users want to compile lists of logosres links so they can see the previews, etc. (see http://community.logos.com/forums/t/85104.aspx and several other forum threads); the "Preview" feature in Bookstore makes this available with fewer clicks.

Based on some of the comments in this thread it is apparent that some users may find value in the feature. If I am in the minority that's fine, but it does not change my opinion regarding its usefulness for me.

Same here.  While some users would like this, I see this as more of a marketing tool for Logos.  And this is something I do not like in software.

Posts 26532
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 19 2014 2:17 PM

Fortunately, Bookstore can be excluded if you have (or create) a custom template for your Guides.

Dave
===

Windows 10 & Android 8

Posts 11654
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 20 2014 5:12 AM

Todd Phillips:

Super.Tramp:
Can you summarize, in a nutshell, what the "bookstore" feature is?  Thanks.

It's a new Guide section that recommends books related to your search that you can buy:

For me, this feature is nice and welcome, but requires some additional work. Given that Logos.com was unavailable (or somewhat flickering) for me for the most part of time since I installed the new beta, I'm not sure exactly which of my issues are due to stability issues. I offer my screenshot:

• The bookstore offers "8 results", shows 5 and no "more..." button. This may be the known issue from the release note. (Expanding on this while the forum is down: A new guide on Justification brought 11 results with the same top five. It had a more button, which vanished after being clicked. Sounds like the known bug)

• When there is no internet connection to the Logos server, it claims "no results" which is a big No No. "no results" means "there ain't any", not "I couldn't make it there to check". Like the Reading List (which is a browser feature, too) I'd expect "No internet connection" as the result in this case. Moreover, since guides are saved, it seems to me that "no results" persists even when a connection becomes available - this is not good. 

• I found that the results I can see seem to be consistent with Todd's (I assume he owns the three English language ones in my screenshot, I own "Where to find it" from his. I don't own the two Spanish language ones down Todd's results and expect another one down the line to make them 8). 
    My results don't change whether I am running Verbum = Yes  or  No. Expanding: the top five are the same for Justification and Redemption - possibly just those from a range of LCV-encyclopedias that carry the headword.
  • The links for the resource page and cart go to Logos.com regardless whether I run Verbum = Yes  or  No. This is consistent with former Preview. I personally am fine with that, but since Verbum.com now has a bookshop shielded from Logos I think they should go there in Verbum mode - maybe it works different for Verbum installer version?

• Running this guide takes several minutes on my machine. This may be an isolated issue with my machine (retrieving the homepage takes over half an hour for me, always) or due to connectivity, but I don't like it. Set it a reasonable threshold and let it die if it doesn't work by then. 

• never get cover pictures. This may be part of the connectivity thing (maybe it just times out on retrieving them) but I'd like to see them. Seems to happen even when a connection to the page on Logos.com is possible through Chrome.

• Preview is nice and I like the short description and even the Add to Cart button. This could become the new preview for all non-licenced resources. However, it is slow - slower than pulling a "old style"-preview from a locked entry on a Reading List.

• Add to cart actually works - it took multiple tries for me to see it. Most often it didn't do anything and I was convinced it was broken (that's why I switched from Verbum = Yes to No) Even when it works, it is much too slow. Again, this is maybe related to connectivity issues - but I expect a system reaction within say three seconds- either the browser window with the cart opens, or an error message or at least something like "trying to connect..." 

• The bookstore doesn't calculate currency conversion like the webpage does (and preview shows). This is an absolute no-go. It may be that the guide somehow caches an old price in Euro (at least the new run for Justification brings the TBD at €19.80). 

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 2089
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 20 2014 5:21 AM

Mick,

Quick question. I reported this to tech support yesterday since I've had trouble accessing Logos.com and they are looking into it. On any computer on my home network, if I run Logos, Open a Preview window (by any means: a link to an unowned resource or through the Preview button in the store), I loose connection to Logos.com through any browser and through the Logos application for about 1 hour. I've repeated this through various scenarios 8 times with the same result. I can initiate it through any computer on the network and all computers are blocked from connecting to Logos.com. Resetting computers and modem/router has no effect.

Posts 11654
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 20 2014 5:33 AM

Randy W. Sims:

Mick,

Quick question. I reported this to tech support yesterday since I've had trouble accessing Logos.com and they are looking into it. On any computer on my home network, if I run Logos, Open a Preview window (by any means: a link to an unowned resource or through the Preview button in the store), I loose connection to Logos.com through any browser and through the Logos application for about 1 hour. I've repeated this through various scenarios 8 times with the same result. I can initiate it through any computer on the network and all computers are blocked from connecting to Logos.com. Resetting computers and modem/router has no effect.

Maybe I'm seeing the same. At least I couldn't connect to Logos.com (including Faithlife, Verbum etc in differing levels) since the last beta. So this is not a server crash/repair thing?

Posts 2089
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 20 2014 5:43 AM

NB.Mick:

Randy W. Sims:

Mick,

Maybe I'm seeing the same. At least I couldn't connect to Logos.com (including Faithlife, Verbum etc in differing levels) since the last beta. So this is not a server crash/repair thing?

That's what I thought at first, but then I noticed when I was able to connect again that other forum posts were made during the time that I thought the server was down. That was the first thing I asked tech support, if the forums or Logos.com had been down, and they said it had not been down. I was going to test it today on a public network to see if it's just my network having problems, but now it looks like it maybe happening to others too.

EDIT: And it does break connection to all Logos servers. That's something they had me test. No connection to Logos, Faithlife, Verbum, etc.

Posts 1753
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 20 2014 5:54 AM

No I agree, unless it localizes every single sale book so they do not appear on my homepage at all.

Posts 11654
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 20 2014 5:57 AM

Randy W. Sims:

That's what I thought at first, but then I noticed when I was able to connect again that other forum posts were made during the time that I thought the server was down. That was the first thing I asked tech support, if the forums or Logos.com had been down, and they said it had not been down. I was going to test it today on a public network to see if it's just my network having problems, but now it looks like it maybe happening to others too.

EDIT: And it does break connection to all Logos servers. That's something they had me test. No connection to Logos, Faithlife, Verbum, etc.

That's weird. Are you overseas (as seen from Bellingham)? I remember Lynden posting something that he was required to run L5 offline and thought this belonged to the same issue I saw. On the other hand, many months bachk there was a partial outage at one of Amazon's data centers and some users could access Logos and others couldn't.  

Posts 24552
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 20 2014 6:19 AM

Mark Barnes:
Therefore what I would like to see is the preview button displaying the entire article (Biblia-style) in an embedded browser, obviously with a limit on the number of articles you can look at from any resource (perhaps 5?). A counter could display so that it said "Preview this article (4 left)" or whatever. Or you could limit it to 1 preview every two months, or something.

I think this is a really good - and important - suggestion.

Earlier this morning I was running a Topic Guide against "Unknown God" and the bookstore returned five results

In my case, the "Dictionary of Deities and Demons in the Bible" has been on my wishlist for a long time and being able to see the specific article which caused it to appear here would be helpful

Mark Barnes:
Whatever you do, I think there should be a little help icon which explains exactly why the resources have been chosen, so that people aren't left to guess why Logos is suggesting them.

AgreedYes

Page 2 of 4 (68 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS