Search operator question

Page 1 of 1 (5 items)
This post has 4 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 236
Michael March | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jan 2 2010 10:36 AM

I'm having trouble doing a topical search.  I have been trying to answer this through faqs and searches and simply can't get it done.  I'm sorry for asking such a simple question, but I'm stumped.  I want to do a topical search on "providence"

If I type providence    I get a lot of provide, provides, etc.

If I type "providence"    I get the same results

If I type   =providence    the same

If I type exact:providence     I get no results other than dictionary entrys.

I am searching my entire library, which is 2000 plus resources.  I cannot believe that none of these books have the word providence in them, and if there were a simpler way to do a topic study on providence I would be grateful to anyone who could put me to it.

I did try creating a collection and after a half hour, I think I did it, but even after viewing a tutorial I'm not sure.  I know that this will take some getting used to, and I thought I had a small handle on it, but I'm stymied here. I had a great group of collections from Morris Proctor from a logos seminar I went to in libronix 3 but they are all gone now...;-(

Thanks for any help someone can provide.

Windows PC - Android Phone - Surface Pro 4

Posts 93
Brent Gay | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 10:40 AM

Hi Michael,

In the search pane, click the little down arrow:

and then uncheck "Match All Word Forms."

That should probably do it.

Brent

Posts 5337
Kevin Becker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 10:44 AM

Brent's advice should work.

I commend http://wiki.logos.com/Search_HELP for your reading. It will help you figure out how to effectively use the search to find stuff in your books.

Posts 236
Michael March | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 2:11 PM

Thank you.  that did it.  Now I only have to figure out how to sort through a million hits!

Posts 236
Michael March | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 2 2010 2:12 PM

Thanks for that link, I was on that page, but operators are apparently overridden by that little check box...

Page 1 of 1 (5 items) | RSS