You MUST bid on Witherington video course! *

Page 2 of 8 (158 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 157 Replies | 9 Followers

Posts 1829
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 21 2014 6:02 PM

mike:

Dear Bob,

Please do inform us which books Dr. Ben Witherington will use during his lectures so we wouldn't go "goo goo gaa gaa" ...

It is very important for us to have the books which he will use/discuss from..

Furthermore, please give us discount towards those books if we purchase Dr. Witherington's mobile ed.

Thank you.

ps: Dr. Moo's Romans' mobile ed came out after the sale Romans Commentaries ended. I think someone made a mistake internally and did the opposite. You could've had more sale on those Romans commentaries if you ended the sale after the Romans' mobile ed came out.

Joseph, this!

Posts 6402
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 21 2014 7:27 PM

David Paul:

I think it's a pure pipe dream to think this could ever sell for under $50, or even close to $50 for that matter, at least as CP is currently implemented. The main impediment is the time limit triggered between crossing the line and "price lock". While I have seen a few items display a significant drop in price after crossing the line, the current window of a couple of days to about a week just isn't enough time to allow this resource to reach the "desired target price" of $50. The reason is pretty simple...it will trigger the countdown with too much distance to be covered. If it crosses at $90 it probably won't make it to $60. It could, but it's not likely...unlessssss Logos decides to increase the simmer time to two weeks or even longer.

Frankly, I wouldn't mind seeing the simmer time increased across the board, but especially for these mEd offerings. But I have a better idea, I think. Why not just set the price at the desired price point (i.e. PrePub) and just wait for it to cross the line? It seems to me that tons more people would have jumped on this if it had been set at $50 to start. Granted, whether that point was really viable may not have been evident at the get-go, but now that it appears to be possible, why not pick an interesting topic and give it a whirl? Try an OT topic, if you don't mind, to complement BW3's NT topic.

That's exactly what I was thinking! As soon as that puppy hits the $90 bucks mark, the time limit to bid will kick in.  Let's say if we reach $90 Tuesday, then it will say "bidding closes 6/27/2014 at 12pm Pacific time.  That being the case, when will we ever see the "less than $50" mark? Exactly, never! Unless they adjust it and give us an extra week or two to get more bids in order to drop the price more.

DAL

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 21 2014 8:02 PM

Bob Pritchett:

I'll look into word count... but online calculators report ~ 8,000 words per minute at average speed, so the transcript alone for 13 hours of video would be 104,000 words, which is something like a 300 page book.

Page estimates for transcripts would be appreciated and allow "sizing" comparison with other Logos resources.  Quick estimate is 23 pages per hour since 13 hours * 23 pages per hour = 299 pages.

Key Features describes digital transcript.  Product Details of "Resources: Lecture, Video" does not quickly convey magnitude of what is in a course.  Product Details elaborated on Video with hours and course units.  Hence suggestion to add digital Lecture sizing (initially thought of words since did not know if Lecture resource had a page index).

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 2825
Michael Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 21 2014 8:19 PM

An Asbury graduate has to bid on Ben.  I'm in!

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 325
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 23 2014 4:07 AM

I'm in at $50 and would love to see what these courses are about, but I can't really justyify spending more to my wife.  I hope you're right Bob.

Posts 10031
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 23 2014 4:59 AM

I'm not sure whether the $50 really will come true - but https://www.logos.com/product/42481/logos-mobile-education-nt221-the-wisdom-of-john-a-socio-rhetorical-commentary-on-johannine-literature is (not counting the free book at #1) now the fifth-best bestselling CP.

It looks like it will cross at $90 rather than the current $105, and might go further down, given the slope of the percentage curve - but simple math will tell that for $50 to cross the line we need twice the number of bidders than for $100.

Unlike other authors I don't recall BW3 doing massive self-promotion for new offerings on his blog - but I can imagine if he wrote an article (or linked prominently to the Logos promo blog) this would get us some new bidders.

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 10548
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 23 2014 7:54 AM

Michael:

I'm in at $50 and would love to see what these courses are about, but I can't really justyify spending more to my wife.  I hope you're right Bob.

The suggested bid is now at $90 and somewhere in the upper 90s%. Judging from the slope of the graph, it is doubtful that it will close at less that $80, if it can get that low. Of course, that all depends on how many jump on the bandwagon once the line crosses 100%.

Posts 325
Michael | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 23 2014 9:34 AM

I saw a slight bump at $60, so Iincreased my bid.

Posts 8941
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 23 2014 12:23 PM

I think quite a few people have changed their bids as it is now below 100%.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 525
Kent | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 24 2014 1:48 PM

Looks like it stalled out!

Posts 4763
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 24 2014 2:04 PM

I dropped my bid from $135 to $90 a couple of days ago, and I just dropped it again to $60. I think more should do the same. I realize that a bid of $90 is also a bid for $60, but that's not the point. The point is, we don't want the deadline to trigger prematurely. Bob has openly endorsed and promoted a lower price, and I'm sure he fully comprehends that means it will take a bit longer to get this to his target price. Personally, I'm all for this being less expensive, even if it takes an extra month or two to hit the target.

I encourage everyone to drop their prices to $60 so that a higher price doesn't activate the countdown too early.

Posts 10177
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 24 2014 2:16 PM

In another thread I just wrote on his book, I was also looking at Prof Gary Rendsburg's lecture series on Great Courses (DVD).  They had a big sale from 2009, marking it down from $250 to $70.

So there you go.  That was 5 years ago, so maybe $80 now (for a sale).  CP should at least match a Great Courses sale.

Posts 1975
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 24 2014 7:04 PM

I hate to say it, but I think Bob's speculation that this could go to $50 sunk this, at least in the short term.  I see this as eBay.  If everyone would just bid what they think it is worth and leave it alone, then the market would work.  I am sure that it will still go over eventually, but I was really looking forward to this crossing sooner than later, which it did, but it seems bids were changed to follow Bob's projection.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 1975
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 24 2014 7:05 PM

Bob should feel bad and give it to everyone for $50 anyway!  Stick out tongue

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 4763
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 24 2014 7:18 PM

Joseph Turner:

I was really looking forward to this crossing sooner than later

It looks like $60 is only about 5 percentage points behind $90; it shouldn't take that long to cross the line. Besides, I'm thinking this thing is mostly "in the can" already. Obviously the video portion has been completed. I suspect it will be ready to ship out the door in a matter of days once it crosses the line.

Posts 126
James Milne Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 24 2014 7:19 PM

I agree. Many retailers offer a "loss leader" in the hope that the customer will be tempted back. If we can buy this series for $50 we will see how good it is and we might well come back for more. This whole thread has brought MobileEd to my attention, and I am thinking that if it as good as I think it might be then I will regret missing out on the Doctrine Pre Pub.

Posts 980
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 25 2014 1:05 AM

If this ends up messing around for months Bob might be put off trying CP again with courses. If it pulls more people in and crosses over in a few days we might get a lot more on CP.

I hope that you are right David and it does not take long.

A bit of a gamble.

Posts 10548
Forum MVP
Jack Caviness | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 25 2014 2:31 AM

David Paul:
It looks like $60 is only about 5 percentage points behind $90; it shouldn't take that long to cross the line.

But it is still less than 80%. It was in the high 90s @ $90 before several people decided to lower their bids and pulled it back from reaching 100%. If it had reached 100% @ $90, then it would have had a chance of closing lower. Now, it will take sometime to reach 100%.

Posts 4763
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 25 2014 3:30 AM

Hmm, yes, I seem to have misread the chart. It seems it is closer to 10% behind. Funny how that can happen, even though something is right there in front of you and you see it and comprehend it, some niggly little brain fart can introduce a dichotomous operation sequence that makes sense in itself, but is not in sync with the bigger picture. It happens in Bible study and theological contemplation all the time--in other people, of course. Wink 

Posts 10031
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 25 2014 5:12 AM

Jack Caviness:

David Paul:
It looks like $60 is only about 5 percentage points behind $90; it shouldn't take that long to cross the line.

But it is still less than 80%. It was in the high 90s @ $90 before several people decided to lower their bids and pulled it back from reaching 100%. If it had reached 100% @ $90, then it would have had a chance of closing lower. Now, it will take sometime to reach 100%.

The point for those lowering their bid was probably to avoid it going over today (and closing Friday) and give it until next week. But then again, since it's #4 on the bestseller list (save the freebie), I don't expect a couple of users changing their bids to make such a difference - unless it really was a very significant number who followed David's advice.

Maybe Logos just finalized their production calculation and the threshold grew by a small amount.  

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Page 2 of 8 (158 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS