Personal Books & References

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 73
Martin J Webster | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Jun 21 2014 9:00 AM

I am building a PB based on 1 John and one of the sections is as follows:

"IF WE SAY ..." ([[1:6, 8, 10>>1 John 1:6,8,10]])

In the resulting PB all of the above appears. How is it possible to only have (1:6, 8, 10) appear in the text. Then hover over each verse and it display, as it normally would?

By the way, if I have ([[1:6-10>>1 John 1:6-10]]) there is no problem. It appears that the comma creates the difficulty.

Thanks for any help

Posts 21702
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 21 2014 9:16 AM

Hi Martin

Martin J Webster:
It appears that the comma creates the difficulty.

I can reproduce this and agree that the comma seems to be causing the problem.

I couldn't find any workround when using a label - if you just put "1 John 1:6, 8, 10" and let the compiler sort it out (i.e. without doing any explicit tagging) then you will get "1 John 1:6, 8,10" displayed and hovering over each verse works.

I know it isn't exactly what you are looking for but the best option I can come up with.

Graham

Posts 24700
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 21 2014 3:30 PM

did you try  ([[1:6 >> 1 John 1:6]], [[8 >> 1 John 1:8]], [[10 >> 1 John 1:10]])

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 73
Martin J Webster | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 21 2014 6:44 PM

Hello Dave,

Thanks for the suggestion however, it does not work very well. And Graham's suggestion did not work either. I may make a suggestion to Logos.

Posts 26107
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 21 2014 7:06 PM

What didn't work well when using Dave's suggestion? I ask because that is how I've had to do it and believe to be Logos' intention.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 1597
Ken McGuire | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jun 21 2014 8:01 PM

Martin J Webster:

I am building a PB based on 1 John and one of the sections is as follows:

"IF WE SAY ..." ([[1:6, 8, 10>>1 John 1:6,8,10]])

In the resulting PB all of the above appears. How is it possible to only have (1:6, 8, 10) appear in the text. Then hover over each verse and it display, as it normally would?

Yes, this is the way the Logos Personal Book Compiler works.  I was frustrated with this a bit on some of my first books too - until I remembered what the operator ">>" means.  It is a signal to send the result of what is on the Right side of the operator to the Left - and I can certainly understand that it gets confused when it has multiple results and not a continuous area to pass on...

So it is a bit more typing, but what Dave suggests works - or at least has for me...

The Gospel is not ... a "new law," on the contrary, ... a "new life." - William Julius Mann

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS