Venue 8 Pro combined charge AND data connection

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 10
Duane Erstad, Ph.D. | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jun 25 2014 3:12 PM

On Kickstarter today, Plugable has posted a device able to charge the Venue 8 Pro AND do all kinds of other connections at the same time. From what I know, this is something no one else has. And there are still some available for $65, which is a great price. The catch, of course, is that this device won't be available until November. Nonetheless I've been completely satisfied with its predecessor which connects while NOT charging. It puts the V8P's display at 1080P onto an external monitor. This isn't the only company to connect a display via USB, but I have found it completely reliable. To be able to "cast" a 1080P image, charge, print, connect USB keyboards and mice--all at the same time seems quite useful.

I also noticed that in the last day or so 32G V8Ps are available from Dell (Outlet) for less than $150, often complete with a copy of Word Student, et al. (not the 30 day deal). Adding an SD card, I have found this to be a very functional system for Logos 5. Plus it leaves most of one's money in one's pocket where it will be available when a 64-bit system becomes the financial "sweet spot" and/or Logos requires 64 bits.

What hasn't received much attention (that I have seen) on these forums is a small piece of software called "touchmousepointer." It's free. After using it a few times, I was able to sit with the V8P and touchmousepointer for hours this morning and do anything that I wanted with Logos. No external keyboard . . . no physical mouse--nothing getting in the way of doing anything I was trying to do with Logos 5. Not even a stylus is needed to make all this work. And it all works elegantly.

In addition, my months of experience suggests to me that for work away from a desk, 8 inches is the size one wants.

I hope this "plug" for a specific supplier doesn't violate any rules here in that it's the only way to achieve all this at the same time.

In case it is useful, the Word software really is included when Dell says it is. However: I was only able to get it work with the assistance of people at a local Microsoft store. It is a fully functioning copy though. I can offer a few suggestions about using touchmousepointer if anyone is interested. As for getting the included Word to function, I can't be of much help.

To my mind: amazing value.

Posts 406
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jun 25 2014 3:47 PM

Duane Erstad, Ph.D.:
I can offer a few suggestions about using touchmousepointer if anyone is interested.
I would certainly appreciate your comments/review. I installed it, But  wasn't persistent enough to learn the tricks.

Posts 10
Duane Erstad, Ph.D. | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 26 2014 6:39 AM

Here's a hastily-prepared suggestion about touchmousepointer. If you'd be so kind as to tell me how/whether it helps and where it's not clear enough, I'll work on it some more and try to get it clear enough to be useful

Making directions clear is never simple, so I appreciate your help.

Here goes:

Install touchmousepointer from lovesummertrue.com

When asked whether to put pin to taskbar, say “yes”

In this way, touching the touchmousepointer icon on the taskbar will alternately bring up this “on-screen mouse” and make it disappear from the screen

When it is on the screen, two fingers on the “mousepad” will move it in any direction. When it gets close to one of the sides of the screen, it will position itself on that side (any of the 4 sides are possible) To move it off this side position and regain that screen territory, move it with two fingers toward the center again.

Here’s the way to make it work: putting one finger on the pad and moving the finger in any direction will allow you to move a/the cursor anywhere you want on the screen. At that point, you can touch either the L or R button the same way you would with any physical mouse to do what you want. Double-tapping on the pad has the same effect as double-tapping on a trackpad. (In my experience, the same as just pressing the left mouse button)

If you have two fingers on the “pad” and either move your fingers closer together or further apart, the pad will decrease or decrease in size. Once it becomes “big enough” in size, it will take over the whole screen.Then the screen will temporarily dim, and then resume the usual brightness. Then you will have a mouse cursor that you can move with any finger movement on the screen. Double-tapping works in this condition.

In this “condition,” putting two fingers on the screen and bringing them closer together will reduce the size of the pad from full screen to any smaller size the distance between your fingers determines.

Posts 889
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 26 2014 6:55 AM

I sure would love to catch one of these for the prices that you are finding.  When I hit the outlet URL, they are always sold out, or avg $350+.

"I read dead people..."

Posts 149
Timothy Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 26 2014 7:03 AM

Highlighting in Logos seems pretty tricky with touchmousepointer, but maybe I just need to practice more.

Windows 8.1 64-bit, Core i5-3330, 8GB RAM

Posts 406
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 26 2014 7:47 AM

Duane Erstad, Ph.D.:
Here's a hastily-prepared suggestion about touchmousepointer
Thanks for the tips. It really helps to have a pointer for mouse-over pop ups ... For instance, Treasury of Scripture knowledge.  

Timothy Brown:

Highlighting in Logos seems pretty tricky with touchmousepointer, but maybe I just need to practice more.

Once I get the transparent mousepad spread over the whole screen, A simple double tap and drag highlights flawlessly.

Posts 406
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 26 2014 9:13 AM

Brother Mark:

I sure would love to catch one of these for the prices that you are finding.  When I hit the outlet URL, they are always sold out, or avg $350+.

There are 2 NEW ones on eBay for $250 ... with free shipping. That's a killer deal. 

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-Venue-Pro-64GB-Wi-Fi-8in-Black-Latest-Model-/161348133684?pt=US_Tablets&hash=item2591192334 

Posts 10
Duane Erstad, Ph.D. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 29 2014 6:24 AM

Regarding prices of V8P's: After getting on the mailing list for the Dell Outlet, I recently received an e-mail for a special on tablets. I saw a 30% discount, but not for V11P's, only for the eight-inch.

In recent days, I've only seen prices in the $300's, but for the first day or so, there were plenty available for $209 and $219. Some of these included the M'soft Office program, though all of these were for the 32 gig model. Figuring a 30% reduction, I come to $146.30--plus tax. Shipping is included in the price.

Adding a micro SD card as a place to put Logos could add $30 if one is careful, but I certainly don't have any problems in making Logos work with 32 gig of RAM--much to my continuing surprise.

There still are some charge and connect devices available from Plugable on Kickstarter for $65, which I believe is the only additional item nearly necessary to make this a good versatile solution. I'm using mine by plugging and unplugging an OTG cable when I want to use this with a monitor on a desktop. Not a really bad solution either, at least until November when the Plugable should be out.

I expect that toward the end of the year or early next year essentially the same unit will be available with the next version of the Atom chip and then this will actually run 64-bit Windows. For this reason I'm not willing to put much money into a system which I have to expect will be in some sense obsolete in a number of months.

Nonetheless this is an amazing system for the price which allows me to work with Logos at times and in places where I wouldn't have been studying the Scriptures before. That's not bad!

Thanks for the hint(s) about highlighting and touchmousepointer.

No one has mentioned that it's possible to have available virtual keyboards with Hebrew and Greek along side the usual English, Spanish, etc. This, too, is a price-free way to be sure that one is typing what one wants. (Just don't try to sign into Windows with your password when your virtual keyboard is not set to English!)

There have been conflicting reports on the Dell Active Stylus. Anyone have good experience with these?

Posts 10
Duane Erstad, Ph.D. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 29 2014 6:39 AM

In spite of editing what I write, I see a mistake in what I just wrote.

I'm using Logos with 2 (not 32) gig of RAM and 32 gig of "hard drive," eMMC, or whatever you call the non-rotating memory in the V8P. I have Logos on the micro SD, which is 64 gig, but I notice it has 45 gig free, so it would seem safe to use a 32 gig micro SD.

The OTG cable I mentioned is connected to a currently-available USB display adapter and does 1080P on a desktop monitor. Given that a data and charge solution should be available now in November, I wouldn't do that again now. I'd wait for Plugable's coming $65 solution.

For that matter, Logos is slower than what I have usually used on a desktop: Logos on a 128 gig SSD. It's not unusable in any sense, but given a choice between one's usual desktop system vs using the V8P, the traditional system is better. The real use for a V8P is when one is away from one's usual desk.

Posts 406
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 29 2014 6:59 AM

Duane Erstad, Ph.D.:
There have been conflicting reports on the Dell Active Stylus. Anyone have good experience with these?
I tried the generic capacitive stylus. It was hit or miss at best. Dell wants $30 for the oem stylus. I find that outrageous. Since they market them without a stylus, They must assume that some of us will not choose to use one. I fall in that camp. I don't want to worry about losing a $30 stylus. One more thing you might try ... Open Windows Journal. You can scribble a note directly with your finger. (without the pen input) Don't expect awards for penmanship, but it's quicker. There is a to do template in Windows Journal. I find it handy for grocery lists, etc.
Duane Erstad, Ph.D.:
In spite of editing what I write, I see a mistake in what I just wrote.
Note that you have several hours to edit a post. Just click the More tab, Then Click Edit. Smile

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS