Crash: Logos 5.2b Beta 3 crashes *every* time on startup

Page 1 of 1 (11 items)
This post has 10 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 524
Posts 24263
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 29 2014 6:36 AM

Hi Stuart - thanks for the logs

From the logs there are two different things which seem to be going on.

The first is a problem opening a version of "Institutes of Christian Religion" - there seems to be some form of version mismatch going on. Are you opening Logos to a layout which includes that resource? If so, try opening to a blank layout - hope CMD when starting Logos and select "use blank layout" and see how you get on. This doesn't cause the crash (at least directly) as far as I can see

The actual error associated with the crash is:

2014-06-29 09:11:21.432 Logos[23930:707] ERROR - Failed to find [Light.InnerPaneDropShadow1] in the Light theme
[0629/091121:WARNING:resource_bundle.cc(283)] locale_file_path.empty()
[0629/091121:FATAL:main_delegate.cc(495)] Check failed: !loaded_locale.empty(). Locale could not be found for en-CA

I have never seen this before and don't know what it means. But it looks as though it may be locale-related. Hopefully someone can advise on this further

Stuart Robertson:

In future, please post replies to the same thread. It helps when trying to keep things clear.

Graham 

Posts 13413
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 29 2014 8:49 AM

Graham Criddle:
The first is a problem opening a version of "Institutes of Christian Religion" - there seems to be some form of version mismatch going on. Are you opening Logos to a layout which includes that resource?

I think it's more likely caused by a reading plan of the old version of the Institutes. If possible it may be better to delete the reading plan.

But that's only if opening to a blank layout doesn't help (which is the best place to start, certainly).

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 29 2014 10:22 AM

In System Preferences => Language & Text => Language

What is the first language in the list ?

Using terminal, what is the output for locale ? (should list eight variables with values)

locale

Graham Criddle:

The actual error associated with the crash is:

2014-06-29 09:11:21.432 Logos[23930:707] ERROR - Failed to find [Light.InnerPaneDropShadow1] in the Light theme
[0629/091121:WARNING:resource_bundle.cc(283)] locale_file_path.empty()
[0629/091121:FATAL:main_delegate.cc(495)] Check failed: !loaded_locale.empty(). Locale could not be found for en-CA

I have never seen this before and don't know what it means. But it looks as though it may be locale-related. Hopefully someone can advise on this further

Observation: en-CA for crash is different than en-US auto-detected language (second line of Logos.log file):

06/29/2014 09:10:48 | INFO | 1 | OurApp | Auto-detected UI language: en-US

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 524
Stuart Robertson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 29 2014 11:45 AM

Hi Graham,

I tried starting holding down Cmd and Logos ran for a while, but the moment I tried to edit reading plans (Institutes, for example) Logos crashes.

Also, I started a new thread (with the prefix "Crash:") as this is what was requested in the instructions for posting crash logs.

I will post additional logs as/when time permits.

Stuart.

Posts 24263
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 29 2014 12:18 PM

Smile

Hi Stuart

Stuart Robertson:

I tried starting holding down Cmd and Logos ran for a while, but the moment I tried to edit reading plans (Institutes, for example) Logos crashes.

Which suggests the issue might be with the reading plan as per Mark's post above. How feasible is it to delete the plan in question?

Stuart Robertson:

Also, I started a new thread (with the prefix "Crash:") as this is what was requested in the instructions for posting crash logs.

That s fair point!

It is still, in my opinion, better to post logs into a thread where you were already discussing the problem. I will suggest to Logos that they change theor instructions - but they might disagree with me!

Stuart Robertson:

I will post additional logs as/when time permits.

That would be helpful.

Graham

Posts 524
Stuart Robertson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jun 29 2014 2:52 PM

Hi Graham,

I've deleted each of the reading plans (all but one caused a crash) that were causing trouble (5 different plans).

It's no big loss---I've stopped using Logos for keeping notes, etc some months back after I lost data. I rarely use Logos now, mostly because of dissatisfaction (irritation with slowness, spinning pizzas and somewhat-too-frequent crashes) and only use it when I truly have to. I hadn't used Logos for a number of months. When I launched it a few days back I thought that perhaps the crashing days were gone and, naively, I admit, updated to the latest beta. Yes, I know it's a beta---I've run betas from other software packages without the "Logos experience".

Anyway, the problem seems to be "fixed" now. Thank you for your assistance and time.

Posts 24263
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 30 2014 1:00 AM

Hi Stuart

Stuart Robertson:
I've deleted each of the reading plans (all but one caused a crash) that were causing trouble (5 different plans).

Stuart Robertson:
Anyway, the problem seems to be "fixed" now. Thank you for your assistance and time.

That's good news - and I've flagged the "create new thread" question to Logos for their consideration.

Stuart Robertson:
I hadn't used Logos for a number of months.

That's interesting - it maybe something to do with out of date resources but I don't know

Graham

Posts 9029
LogosEmployee

Graham Criddle:
I've flagged the "create new thread" question to Logos for their consideration.

Where did you find the "create new thread" instructions?

Posts 524
Stuart Robertson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 30 2014 7:55 AM

https://www.logos.com/support/logos5/mac/problem

No explicit request to "Start a new thread", but point 3 of step 4 of the above-linked page says:

Put "Bug", "Crash" or "Hang" (Freezing) in the title.

I could find no way to change the title of the existing thread so created a new one.

Posts 24263
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 30 2014 9:47 AM

Bradley Grainger (Logos):

Graham Criddle:
I've flagged the "create new thread" question to Logos for their consideration.

Where did you find the "create new thread" instructions?

Just to expand on Stuart's post, step 2 of the article he references does have 'Click on "Write a New Post"' as below

Step 4: Make a Report
  1. Visit the Logos 5 Forum.
      Using Logos 4? Visit the instead.
  2. Click on "Write a New Post".
  3. Put "Bug", "Crash" or "Hang" (Freezing) in the title.
Page 1 of 1 (11 items) | RSS