You Need This CP: Archaeological and Theological Studies of Jerusalem

Page 1 of 2 (37 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 36 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 10523
Denise | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jul 4 2014 7:51 AM

I'm not trying to bid this down. In fact I just found it this morning.

https://www.logos.com/product/39933/archaeological-and-theological-studies-of-jerusalem 

I just finished 'The Qwest' by Leen Ritmeyer (Carta). Basically it's a combined inch-by-inch (almost) analysis of the Tempe mount and its history.  Immensely detailed with high-definition photos and 3D reconstructions, it's really hard to make progress reading it!

But what was interesting is that in 2006 (published), Ritmeyer had to use this CP (in print) to do most of his work.  He had some observational stuff, and some recent but limited digs. But the bulk was the CP.

Why? This is one case where 'early' is critical. The politics of the Temple Mount locked in the ability to see what was under it and where.  

Key sources (and nicely included in the CP):

- Charles Warren (who I think has the most data but I'm only a Quest veteran)

- J.T. Barclay

- Charles Wilson (along with Warren)

These three are heavily quoted in any attempt to 'go back'.

And not getting too the-o-lo-gi-cal here,  but the Temple right after Pentecost held an odd attraction for believers that had listened to Jesus for maybe 3 years.

It's currently $40, which I'd personally pay just for Warren.  Altogether there's 10 volumes.  Frankly if I were Logos, I'd price them higher than $163 but who knows.  If indeed Logos includes the plates, wow.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 22268
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 4 2014 8:51 AM

Thanks Denise

Does look very interesting.

Graham

Posts 1875
Paul-C | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 4 2014 9:06 AM

I'm in!

Posts 9102
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 5 2014 6:35 PM

Paul-C:

I'm in!

Me too!

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 2934
Forum MVP
Jacob Hantla | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 5 2014 7:09 PM

Thank you for calling our attention to it.

Jacob Hantla
Pastor/Elder, Grace Bible Church
gbcaz.org

Posts 10523
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 21 2014 11:38 AM

Bump-erony

Our graph seems to be improving.  Maybe by the 250th anniversary?  Let's see 1864 .... add 250 .... hmmm .... 2014!

OK, so I'm always hopeful.  The correct date might be 2015.  We can always hope Logos has an anniversary celebration!!

For those 'an-ti-ci-pa-ting', here's an interesting blog article. I can't tell if the site is commercial or just really interested. I don't know the lady.  Quite a number of interesting articles.

http://www.itsgila.com/headlinerswarren.htm 

Gihon spring is really quite interesting, relative to where the Jebusites were potentially located prior to David.

Posts 472
Nick Steffen | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 21 2014 1:28 PM

Denise, I'm in. Have you heard from Logos whether or not the plates will be included?

Posts 10523
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 21 2014 1:56 PM

Thanks, Nick.

In the mystical land of Logos, I have to use my magnifying glass set at full magnification:

'... narratives of travel and exploration, theological discussions, and archaeological discoveries, enhanced by hundreds of illustrations.'

'Over 4,500 pages of text and illustrations offer insights from a variety of perspectives, including those from topographers, linguists, architects, missionaries, and more.'

I agree, the plates are the 'gold'.  Most of the plates were illustrations; not photos.  Plus immense amounts of detail.  If I worked at Logos, I'd be mighty disappointed without the plates.  Not to mention customers.

Resources like these really work great in a Bible class, where the story combines Biblical history, detective work, and danger!  

Posts 6490
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 21 2014 2:03 PM

Ok, I'm in.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 10523
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 21 2014 5:46 PM

Thank you, Lynden. And I enjoy your posts.

Posts 2337
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 22 2014 2:56 PM

OK, I'm in too. Thank you so much!

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 10523
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 22 2014 5:02 PM

Thank you very much, mab.  

As you probably can imagine, I'm usually not talented in the thank-you industry.  But when it means a 'bump' to the thread, well, I'm gracious as all get out.  (I'm joking as usual).

By the way, for those who can not bear to purchase without winning a sizable discount, I've no doubt this one will clear the $20-25 line after it goes over the $40 line.  It's just too interesting to a broad audience.

But a $20 bid now won't get you those gorgeous plates (which we're not entirely sure of, but let's ignore that).

Posts 468
Charlene | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 23 2014 7:17 AM

And just to add my two cents worth: If you ever take any graduate or seminary course dealing Jerusalem , there are several books that are included in this collection that would be mandatory reading for that course! So bid now! This really is a good collection.

Charlene

Posts 10523
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 23 2014 5:18 PM

Excellent (far more than) two cents, Charlene. I'd assume, if I were touring Jerusalem, it'd also be a fun series to have at my Logos-tips.

By the way, one of the CP books goes into the construction during the kingdom of Judah just south of the Temple mount.  What's fascinating, was Manassah's construction (2 Chron), not unlike Herod centuries later.  I knew Manassah had done quite a bit inside the Temple area, but missed the significance of construction south of the Temple.

Posts 6490
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 24 2014 5:55 AM

Almost at the top.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 855
Ron Corbett | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 24 2014 6:02 AM

I bid on this back in March. Any word - hints - from LOGOS regarding the plates Denise mentioned ???

Posts 2499
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 24 2014 6:08 AM

I looked at the sample pages briefly. No plates.

Posts 10523
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 24 2014 6:56 AM

Yes ... no images in the samples isn't surprising, given the way the older books were published.  If you look at the PDFs, Warren/Wilson appear to have been data fanatics first.  I've often wondered if they knew their digging around would be the 'Bible' for more than a century. 

Even today, reading 'the Quest' (mentioned above), so many of what you'd think would be obvious details, are still hypothesized.  

I know most of the forumites are of the male variety, but tracing back where the women were as Jesus taught in and around the Temple catches my thoughts.  The treasury was in what was formerly the women's area; did the poor widow slowly climb the stairs to find her place?

And being a former CPA, and just finishing a volume on the money economy in Palestine, just how did they move so much money, and where?  (I'm curious.)  The Temple was the bank.

The whole Temple area was a massive series of human distinctions and pecking orders instantly erased outside the ancient walls in a single afternoon.

Posts 2499
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 24 2014 10:05 AM

Denise:

Yes ... no images in the samples isn't surprising, given the way the older books were published.  

The plates would be a big draw.

If the books are on some reading lists as Charlene says, I'm sure this would make it to development.

Posts 468
Charlene | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 24 2014 2:12 PM

I can only speak from my experience. I got my master's degree in archaeology last year studying in Jerusalem. One of the courses I took was "Jerusalem," which basically went through the ages concerning the city. Warren's books were used in several of the lectures and Barclay was used as well...I want to say that Williams seemed "familiar" but I could be wrong! Smile

Charlene

Page 1 of 2 (37 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS