Cult, Orthodox, Evangelical or Sect: Find out for yourself

Page 2 of 3 (57 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 56 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 406
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 8 2014 9:59 AM

Lynden Williams:
That is why I buy materials from across the Christian spectrum.
That well may be. But as your confession reveals, The title of the thread was designed as a shock factor to attempt to promote a resource that is very tightly focused on your theology. 

Posts 6609
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 8 2014 10:09 AM

Best way to know what I believe is to ask Paul. No need to for second hand opinions from those biased against the belief. Get it from the real macoy.  Smile

Lynden Williams Communications https://www.lyndenwilliams.net 

Posts 406
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 8 2014 10:31 AM

Lynden Williams:
No need to for second hand opinions from those biased against the belief.
I lend no credence to opinions formed from anything other than hands on knowledge/experience. Folks who have not been SDAs are not as qualified to criticise. That's why I cited Raymond Cottrell. He lived and died a devout SDA, but saw the error in the doctrine. There are hundreds ...if not thousands of others who have chosen, or been forced to leave the denomination because they could not accept this doctrine. Just to be clear, I find the bulk of SDA beliefs to be Biblical. In some areas...much more so than the mainstream. This particular facet is causing a multitude of possible members to flee because of the deception.

In this electronic/computerized age, It is much harder to delude seekers. .... Especially young, tech savvy seekers. The truth is much more accessible.

Posts 1064
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 8 2014 10:32 AM

Lynden Williams:
Paul, primary souce is the best place to find information. If you want to know what x believes, then see what x has to say. That is why I buy materials from across the Christian spectrum.

Yes

That has been my policy since before I was baptised over 45 years ago. I feel sorry for those who seem scared to read other theological ideas.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 8 2014 10:38 AM

Lynden Williams:
we can move the discussion to http://christiandiscourse.com/ . That is the reason it was set up. Smile

Please move all doctrinal discussions to the website provided. 

Thanks Lynden. My question in this thread was only a request for information. You have kindly given me that information.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 171
Abi Gail | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 8 2014 11:51 PM

Ralph Hale:
The SDA's have their hands full right now. They are faced with another irony. (Some view it as hypocrisy) The denomination is based largely on the teachings of Ellen G. White. But somehow they view it heresy for modern women to be ordained. 

That does seem extremely unfair.

~

Posts 29340
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 9 2014 12:04 AM

Paul C:
And why would you want to reopen the old CULT can of worms.

I wouldn't have even thought of interpreting it as a "can of worms" ... I made the mistake of taking it in the technical sense of religious studies.Tongue Tied

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 29340
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 9 2014 12:12 AM

Lynden Williams:
Paul, primary source is the best place to find information

Lynden, you shouldn't give me temptations like this when I'm very tired. I can't resist ... you're directing me to Scripture I assume? and perhaps a dose of Early Church Fathers? Okay, I know that's not what you mean but it does illustrate your earlier point that this discussion really belongs on christiandiscourse and we need to get use to having the forum to take such discussions there. It will probably take us a bit of time to get used to that possibility.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 406
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 9 2014 12:39 AM

MJ. Smith:
I wouldn't have even thought of interpreting it as a "can of worms"
Hi, MJ;

The title of the thread was carefully crafted to promote such responses. I bought into his ploy. Lynden is an ambassador on the Adventist products forum, and the Faithlife Adventist site. The turn of events in this thread was no accident.

Lynden Williams:
Ok. Confession time. Started this tread to speed up the process of getting this set from the Biblical Research Institure into production. Not too many new orders based on the bar. Lots of views based on the topic. Wink
 However, Your point is taken, Ma'am, and I digress. Thank you for your attempts at peacemaking. Smile

Posts 2592
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 9 2014 4:33 AM

The popular definition of heretic is anyone that has ideas different then my/your own.

The popular definition of cult is any church that has practices different from my/your own.

Have seen somewhere that there are some 40,000 protestant denominations. Of which 39,999 must be wrong. [[Yes, I have also seen the orthodox argument that their holding the Bible as the only true source of enlightenment is in error.  [Lower case on orthodox deliberate.] ]]

What I sometimes have fun doing is examining the total thought process of a "belief" where there are two interpretations. Sometimes I can spot the first step where they deviate.  Then, sometimes, by reviewing that step in detail I can decide which path is right for me. [[Other times I can not find the ""error"" and have to go on the total argument or pure belief.]]   

Posts 175
Silent Sam | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 9 2014 12:03 PM

Paul C:

Lynden Williams:

Did not look at the article in wikipedia.

See if this set has its foundation in scripture and if your views change about the Sanctuary doctrine. https://www.logos.com/product/37737/daniel-and-revelation-committee-series Smile

No Thanks! I will not buy any more twisted interpretation of Scripture. I devoted 3 months to this study. The 3rd Quarterly in 2006 was devoted to an attempt to justify the 1844 - Sanctuary - Investigative Judgement debacle. http://ssnet.org/qrtrly/eng/06c/   (The Quarterly is a daily study that spans 3 months... Hence "Quarterly") I suppose you could view it as the SDA's Lectionary.   I studied daily. I read every entry. ... Followed every link. The more I dug, the more I saw that the doctrine is FALSE. There are great men...Still devoted to Adventism who maintain that the movement should give up and admit the error. They didn't just devote 3 months to the study. They devoted their lives trying to make the Adventist views line up with Scripture. (Or Vice Versa) They could not. I would suggest Logos add a little work  titled "The "Sanctuary Doctrine"- Asset or Liability?" by Raymond Cottrell.

Cottrell was a respected Theologian. He was a contributing editor of the Adventist Commentary. While working on the commentary, he found discrepancies. He devoted the next 20 plus years trying to rectify the "inconsistencies" in the doctrine. Shortly before his death he offered the heartfelt plea to the SDA's to abandon the erroneous doctrine. They apparently are too invested in the tradition to admit the error.

Hmm HHHMMMmmm~~~ Hmm

Posts 130
Willard Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 10 2014 1:43 AM

Yes YEAH! Yes             Hmm What Sam Said Hmm

Posts 74
Ralph Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 10 2014 10:04 AM

Paul C:
I would suggest Logos add a little work  titled "The "Sanctuary Doctrine"- Asset or Liability?" by Raymond Cottrell.

YES! But until they do a simple Google search will put it at your fingertips. 

Edit; I took the quote form Sam's quote , which made it appear as if he said it. I apologize for the oversight. I have inserted the proper quote.

Posts 11059
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 10 2014 11:14 AM

I think Silent Sam was silent on the issue of Cottrell. Therefore he can't really be quoted (especially when the quote is from Paul).

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 3976
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 10 2014 12:27 PM

I am always surprised to see a Logos forums MVP stir the pot, and bait people into theological discussion.

SDA is one bp I won't soon be buying.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Platinum & WORDsearch

Posts 74
Ralph Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 10 2014 3:24 PM

Denise:

I think Silent Sam was silent on the issue of Cottrell. Therefore he can't really be quoted (especially when the quote is from Paul).

Good catch Denise. Thanks. I corrected the error.

Posts 175
Silent Sam | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 10 2014 5:21 PM

Denise:

Hmm HHHMMMmmm~~~ Hmm

Posts 11059
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 10 2014 5:49 PM

Gee, Silent Sam.  I feel like after 5 years on the forum, I'm finally in the big leagues. 

How did I do it?  

The part about being silent?

Or the non-implied silence on Cottrell?

Or the part about being incorrectly quoted?

I know, I know .... I should just thank my lucky stars! (Since I don't have a Logos one.)

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 175
Silent Sam | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 10 2014 6:07 PM

Hmm HHHMMMmmm~~~ Hmm

Page 2 of 3 (57 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS