Cult, Orthodox, Evangelical or Sect: Find out for yourself

Page 3 of 3 (57 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 56 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 297
Schezic | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 10 2014 6:09 PM

Paul C:

Lynden Williams:

Did not look at the article in wikipedia.

See if this set has its foundation in scripture and if your views change about the Sanctuary doctrine. https://www.logos.com/product/37737/daniel-and-revelation-committee-series Smile

No Thanks! I will not buy any more twisted interpretation of Scripture. I devoted 3 months to this study. The 3rd Quarterly in 2006 was devoted to an attempt to justify the 1844 - Sanctuary - Investigative Judgement debacle. http://ssnet.org/qrtrly/eng/06c/   (The Quarterly is a daily study that spans 3 months... Hence "Quarterly") I suppose you could view it as the SDA's Lectionary.   I studied daily. I read every entry. ... Followed every link. The more I dug, the more I saw that the doctrine is FALSE. There are great men...Still devoted to Adventism who maintain that the movement should give up and admit the error. They didn't just devote 3 months to the study. They devoted their lives trying to make the Adventist views line up with Scripture. (Or Vice Versa) They could not. I would suggest Logos add a little work  titled "The "Sanctuary Doctrine"- Asset or Liability?" by Raymond Cottrell.

Cottrell was a respected Theologian. He was a contributing editor of the Adventist Commentary. While working on the commentary, he found discrepancies. He devoted the next 20 plus years trying to rectify the "inconsistencies" in the doctrine. Shortly before his death he offered the heartfelt plea to the SDA's to abandon the erroneous doctrine. They apparently are too invested in the tradition to admit the error.

Thanks for the link. I have started exploring that quarterly. I, Too, Find serious flaws in their "Interpretation" of Scripture.Sad

Posts 4934
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 10 2014 11:39 PM

You know what they say about people in glass houses throwing stones, right?

They say you should do it on ChristianDiscourse.com...

Posts 297
Schezic | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 11 2014 5:30 PM

David Paul:
You know what they say about people in glass houses throwing stones, right?
Glass Houses? Do You refer to chastising a brother for posting a clear concise comment in the same thread you recently posted rambling, lengthy paragraphs of your "insight" on the same subject?    >>>>

David Paul:

There is a Seventh Day Baptist church a few miles east of Huntsville, AL...a dozen folks would find the building uncomfortably cramped.

My personal feeling is that if SDAs cut themselves free of a couple of doctrinal anchors, they would be in a much healthier position on many fronts. But that wouldn't be Adventism any longer. Like most denominations, in which the "founder" typically saw a particular doctrinal flub in the church-at-large and moved to correct that error (often this single move was the right call), the problems begin in the "what comes next" phase. In most cases, that one little, limited piece of the puzzle is the entire bit of Scriptural insight that was allotted to the founder, and all the rest of the doctrinal baggage that makes up the difference is no better and at times is often worse than what the "other" denominations are doing. This is the history of Christianity in a nutshell, and it ought to alarm everyone involved. But it doesn't, and the reason is that...that's ALL there is. There's broken here, and there's broken there--everywhere you look is broken--and no one gets too alarmed because if everything everywhere is broken, then that must be okay, right? It's just people being broken sinners is all...

The arc of prophesy doesn't dispute this state of affairs--in fact, it describes it perfectly! Unfortunately, it also judges it unmercifully. No group, regardless of doctrine, is safe. The problem is much more systemic than denominational fracturing--or ecumenism, for that matter--can ever hope to overcome.

David Paul:

Well, I'm pretty sure there are at least one or two resources in Logos that level that charge at SDAs...I'm pretty sure it's something they've just become accustomed to hearing. Sorta similar to what the Catholic Church often hears from Protestant circles. It's pretty ironic, but there are more than just a few similarities between the two groups. As a Sabbatarian myself, I've noticed that Sunday groups tend to look askance at Sabbath observance, and some have no trouble tossing the cult label based on that practice alone. I'm pretty much an anti-denominationalist, so in my view SDAs are still in the same boat with all the other named churches out there, except they keep Shabbat. Considering the four descriptors above, becoming less of a cult or sect and more Orthodox and Evangelical doesn't constitute an improvement in my view.

Still, I find that some SDA prophecy has more going for it than a lot of traditional Sunday prophecy, mainly because Sunday observance per se eviscerates basic prophetic concepts. The Sabbath is one of the fundamental conceptual building blocks of the entire panorama of prophecy, which is just one of many reasons why it must be "remembered".

<<<< Are those the silicon abodes of which you write? Smile

Posts 11064
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 11 2014 6:15 PM

I think David deserves some ramblingness, if indeed we're talking Moontown.  Paintrock, no.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 406
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 11 2014 7:03 PM

Denise:

I think David deserves some ramblingness, if indeed we're talking Moontown.  Paintrock, no.

So, Moontown - Paintrock is Bama's version of Sedona?

Posts 11064
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 11 2014 7:10 PM

I don't think Paintrock has any vortex's (nor vortices).  Is Alabama even capable of New Age?

Now, Moonrock. That's different.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 406
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 11 2014 7:23 PM

Denise:
 Is Alabama even capable of New Age?
Depends on your interpretation of New Age. If it consists of Spirit Filled, Charismatic excitement common to the Pentecostal, Holiness movement, Bama "pioneered" it.

Posts 297
Schezic | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 12 2014 3:46 AM

Denise:

Without knowing what Moontown or Paintrock are, I will still be the first to support his right to ramble. It only becomes an issue when he is deluded into thinking that his superior intellect provides him preferential treatment. It appears that he believes his ramblings should be venerated , But the Goyim should bow and humbly/silently remove themselves from HIS rambling  territory.

Posts 4934
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 12 2014 4:39 AM

Oh, comon, Schezic...it wasn't an eviction notice, it was an invitation. I just think that since Bob was good enough to create a sandbox for us to play in, we should confine our serious stone throwing there. Come play.

Btw, the 7DB is in Paint Rock. There's also a COG7 in Mentone. Great little cafe on the mountain there--great sandwiches...huge fireplace.

Posts 406
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 12 2014 5:14 AM

David Paul:
Btw, the 7DB is in Paint Rock. There's also a COG7 in Mentone. Great little cafe on the mountain there--great sandwiches...huge fireplace.
Do I recall correctly? Are you transplanted in that area? I was born and bred on North Sand Mountain. My grandfather had acquired a sizeable plot of land on Mentone at the end of his days ... Late 60's. I have family who sell at the farmers market there every weekend. Seventh day observance seems to be very prevalent in that area. ... Including SDAs

Posts 4934
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 12 2014 5:58 AM

Yes, I'm originally from New Orleans, but I've been living in Alabama since 1996. The Seventh Day Baptists probably consist of no more than one or two families. I'm serious about their building not being much bigger than a broom closet. The Church of God--Seventh Day is about the size of a normal small town church. It could probably hold a bit over a hundred if they didn't mind rubbing elbows. I went there once with a friend years ago. There are one or two other small Sabbath-keeping groups that meet in town, and of course, as you mention, there is Oakwood College, which is a historically black Seventh Day Adventist college. Due to its presence, there are a sizable number of SDA congregations in the area. There are also a couple or three Messianic congregations as well...by that I mean Messianic Christian, not Messianic Jewish.

Posts 2083
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 12 2014 1:09 PM

David, what city?  I am just north of Gardendale.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 4934
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 12 2014 2:03 PM

Above Hartselle...probably about an hour from you.

Posts 130
Willard Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 12 2014 3:29 PM

Paul C:

Lynden Williams:

Did not look at the article in wikipedia.

See if this set has its foundation in scripture and if your views change about the Sanctuary doctrine. https://www.logos.com/product/37737/daniel-and-revelation-committee-series Smile

No Thanks! I will not buy any more twisted interpretation of Scripture. I devoted 3 months to this study. The 3rd Quarterly in 2006 was devoted to an attempt to justify the 1844 - Sanctuary - Investigative Judgement debacle. http://ssnet.org/qrtrly/eng/06c/   (The Quarterly is a daily study that spans 3 months... Hence "Quarterly") I suppose you could view it as the SDA's Lectionary.   I studied daily. I read every entry. ... Followed every link. The more I dug, the more I saw that the doctrine is FALSE. There are great men...Still devoted to Adventism who maintain that the movement should give up and admit the error. They didn't just devote 3 months to the study. They devoted their lives trying to make the Adventist views line up with Scripture. (Or Vice Versa) They could not. I would suggest Logos add a little work  titled "The "Sanctuary Doctrine"- Asset or Liability?" by Raymond Cottrell.

Cottrell was a respected Theologian. He was a contributing editor of the Adventist Commentary. While working on the commentary, he found discrepancies. He devoted the next 20 plus years trying to rectify the "inconsistencies" in the doctrine. Shortly before his death he offered the heartfelt plea to the SDA's to abandon the erroneous doctrine. They apparently are too invested in the tradition to admit the error.

Amazing. .... How people can twist Scripture into a pretzel. Then expect intelligent individuals to believe it. 

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 12 2014 3:52 PM

Willard Scott:
Amazing. .... How people can

How people can continue to post theological debate or criticism in the Logos forums when ChristianDiscourse.com has so graciously been provided for that purpose. 

But then again it IS the weekend.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 2083
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 12 2014 4:02 PM

David Paul:

Above Hartselle...probably about an hour from you.

I know it well.  I have family from there.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 297
Schezic | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 13 2014 4:07 PM

David Paul:
Oh, comon, Schezic...it wasn't an eviction notice, it was an invitation.
OK.  I will entertain the possibility that I misinterpreted your comment.

Page 3 of 3 (57 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS