Video course by a top NT scholar for $44 -- maybe lower! (could be up to you)

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 20 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 18669
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jul 9 2014 10:29 PM

NT221 The Wisdom of John: A Socio-Rhetorical Commentary on Johannine Literature by Dr. Ben Witherington

CP bidding on this course is going crazy. There have been enough new bidders that the price has come down from $80 to $44 in the past couple of weeks or so. It's going to close this Friday at noon (Pacific Time), but there's still time to bid and it looks quite likely that the final price could come down to $41 by then. More bidders makes it even more likely.

So close it's touching the line!

This is the cheapest of all the Mobile Ed courses, by quite a large margin, and might be the cheapest any of them will ever be.

So if you've ever wanted a teacher to guide you through the study of the book of John, and you can't afford to go to seminary in another city, here's your chance!

https://www.logos.com/product/42481/logos-mobile-education-nt221-the-wisdom-of-john-a-socio-rhetorical-commentary-on-johannine-literature 

Bible scholar Ben Witherington is Amos Professor of New Testament for Doctoral Studies at Asbury Theological Seminary and on the doctoral faculty at St. Andrews University in Scotland. A graduate of UNC, Chapel Hill, he went on to receive the M.Div. degree from Gordon-Conwell Theological Seminary and a Ph.D. from the University of Durham in England. He is now considered one of the top evangelical scholars in the world, and is an elected member of the prestigious SNTS, a society dedicated to New Testament studies.

Witherington has written over forty books, including The Jesus Quest and The Paul Quest, both of which were selected as top biblical studies works by Christianity Today. He also writes for many church and scholarly publications, and is a frequent contributor to the Patheos website.

Bid now!

https://www.logos.com/product/42481/logos-mobile-education-nt221-the-wisdom-of-john-a-socio-rhetorical-commentary-on-johannine-literature 

Posts 1129
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 10 2014 5:05 AM

Wish Logos would through all the MobileEd products that are either in production or in Pre-pub into community pricing to see how low they could go as well. The prices of these produces is way too expensive otherwise.

Regardless everyone should take advantage of this deal.

Posts 4763
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 10 2014 7:44 AM

Keith Larson:

The prices of these produces is way too expensive otherwise.

I don't think they are way too expensive. I just think they are too expensive for me.

Posts 611
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 10 2014 8:06 AM

David Paul:

Keith Larson:

The prices of these produces is way too expensive otherwise.

I don't think they are way too expensive. I just think they are too expensive for me.

Agree that the pricing is in line with other similar offerings that I have seen BUT if we could get this stuff through CP at a little over $3 an hour that would be awesome and could be a real win/win for Logos and their customers. I'm sure that Bob would love to have this massive library of video content in the Logos Portfolio and I am equally sure we would all love to get this material for a bargain price.

Post CP Logos could (of course) revert to market pricing levels.

God Bless

Graham

Pastor - NTCOG Basingstoke

Posts 1699
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 10 2014 8:42 AM

I would spring for it but I do not own Platinum and probably most of the books the class would reference, right?

He isn't one of those nuts that used colored marbles from the Jesus Seminar is he? 
I like/value the Gospel of John and found it transformational before and after I was saved.

Is he conservative in his leanings?

Posts 1976
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 10 2014 9:05 AM

JoshInRI:

I would spring for it but I do not own Platinum and probably most of the books the class would reference, right?

He isn't one of those nuts that used colored marbles from the Jesus Seminar is he? 
I like/value the Gospel of John and found it transformational before and after I was saved.

You shouldn't need Platinum to appreciate the course.  It is possible that you just might not have some of the resources that he references.  There are multiple videos on youtube that you could check out, but he is conservative.

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 1129
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 10 2014 10:13 AM

JoshInRI:

I have a couple of these courses and not all the required readings come from Platinum level resources. There are also "suggested" readings which may or may not be from any package. There is nothing stopping you from purchasing the few "required" texts individually if you really would like to read them. The Lectures themselves are worth this low price.

Posts 1129
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 10 2014 10:30 AM

Perhaps if Logos would supply a list of the "required" text and optional texts, more people would bid, because they could get a better idea of their true cost.

Posts 18669
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 10 2014 10:43 AM

Keith Larson:

Perhaps if Logos would supply a list of the "required" text and optional texts, more people would bid, because they could get a better idea of their true cost.

I'm not sure the syllabi for pre-pub m.Ed courses have been completely written by the profs yet. They will develop the courses to meet the need if/when enough people order them to justify production. So Logos might not know precisely what are the "required" and "optional" texts. But that is a good suggestion. I'll bring it to Ray Deck's attention and maybe he can find the right person within Logos to address this idea. Might be hard to get it done in time before the bidding closes on this one, though. But for the future it should always be in the course description, just as you'd expect in any course description at a bricks & mortar seminary before you register for a course and pay for it.

Posts 175
Bill Coley | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 10 2014 11:55 AM

JoshInRI:

FWIW, I'm not "one of those nuts that used colored marbles," but I am liberal.

I am not conservative in my leanings... which I hope doesn't mean I'm a nut!

I am in on and very much look forward to this resource...which I hope doesn't mean I'm conservative!

Labels can be SO confusing.      Stick out tongue

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 10 2014 11:57 AM

Keith Larson:
The Lectures themselves are worth this low price.

A resounding YES!  

Consider these facts:

• The CP price is a fraction of the Pre-Pub price
  • You can always add extra resources later (Platinum or whatever)
  • If you find it is a complete waste of money you can return it for a refund.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 4763
David Paul | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 10 2014 12:03 PM

The guy is like nails on a chalkboard to me, and I'm still getting it. I've been pushing as hard as anyone to get it to the price it's at now.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 10 2014 12:13 PM

Bill Coley:
I am not conservative in my leanings...

I bet you lean towards a conservative Pilot when you fly.

I bet you hope your Pharmacist is conservative when measuring prescriptions.

I prefer Bible teachers who are not liberal when handling the truth.

Posts 3938
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 10 2014 12:15 PM

I'm not super familiar with this guy, but I am in.

Asbury (where he teaches) is UMC yes?

So he's probably arminian?

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 1129
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 10 2014 12:28 PM

Rosie Perera:

Keith Larson:

I'm not sure the syllabi for pre-pub m.Ed courses have been completely written by the profs yet. They will develop the courses to meet the need if/when enough people order them to justify production. So Logos might not know precisely what are the "required" and "optional" texts. But that is a good suggestion. I'll bring it to Ray Deck's attention and maybe he can find the right person within Logos to address this idea. Might be hard to get it done in time before the bidding closes on this one, though. But for the future it should always be in the course description, just as you'd expect in any course description at a bricks & mortar seminary before you register for a course and pay for it.

scott Oliphint in a podcast talk about his experiences in filming to two courses he teaches. His two courses have not even been offered in prepub. It appears that Logos begins production much earlier than most of us image. 

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 10 2014 12:51 PM

Keith Larson:
It appears that Logos begins production much earlier than most of us image. 

The comprehensive listing of all courses leads me to believe Logos will produce these courses no matter what the CP response is.

Posts 10178
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 10 2014 1:20 PM

We probably need to calm it down on colored marbles ... that's how the Holy Spirit chooses who to fill out for apostolic suicides.

Interestingly, the video professor has seemed to have latched onto a repetitive label 'evangelical Christian New Testament scholar'.

He's too far to the left for me.

Posts 1699
JoshInRI | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 13 2014 12:49 PM

I have had some time to think this over and more than likely most of you have gone on to other posts...but I am sorry for using "nut" above.

Growing in Christ's love (without sacrificing His Truth),

Joshua in Rhode Island

Posts 1976
Joseph Turner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 13 2014 2:39 PM

JoshInRI:

I have had some time to think this over and more than likely most of you have gone on to other posts...but I am sorry for using "nut" above.

Growing in Christ's love (without sacrificing His Truth),

Joshua in Rhode Island

Did you watch any of his videos by chance?

Disclaimer:  I hate using messaging, texting, and email for real communication.  If anything that I type to you seems like anything other than humble and respectful, then I have not done a good job typing my thoughts.

Posts 175
Bill Coley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 13 2014 3:49 PM

JoshInRI:

Joshua,

Thank you. I appreciate your decision to make this post.

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS