to cemetary, postponing starting Gk by 1 year?

Page 1 of 3 (55 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 54 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jul 11 2014 12:05 PM

I just got the notice from university that I have been admitted to cemetary - so if I choose to start with those studies now I would have to postpone Gk class by one year because otherwise risking having to perform 175% of full-time pace if doing all of it "simultaneously" - 175% would be too much. Here's the calculation: cemetary is 100% of full-time pace, I will possibly be admitted to work 25% of full-time pace close to the cemetary - either way I will work a few %, Gk studies mean 50% of full-time pace. I once studied 225% of full-time pace (in January 2013) - but didn't succeed with all of those classes so it was obviously too much.

Another problem is that I'm a morning-person and the specific Gk class which can be combined with cemetary is in the evening (one evevning a week) and because of somewhat long commuting distances I'm not sure I would have time to sleep and go fresh to cemetary in the morning.

If I would choose Gk first the main problem would be not having that much substantial studies to choose from in the Spring semester 2015 - because it's not easy/not possible to take the next Gk class semester right after the first one because of the tricky admission and because of which uni I (regrettably) chose to apply to. Would I have chosen a different uni for Gk I would have had more options but then again, the thing is that if going to cemetary now for one year, I would have the benefit of being easily able to study Gk two semesters in a row right after that thanks to the one year of Teologiskt Basår (base-year). I.e. whether it's "easy" would of course be depending on passing all classes.

I will probably choose one year of cemetary first and then one year (or more) Gk. The only thing that worries me is if I get too old for learning Gk not having started it as early as possible. One should start studying and taking classes in a new language at an as low age as possible. This is my first chance to enter Gk studies so I would really not postpone the start by more than one year. I'm 32½ years of age now.

So what I mean that there are other Gk classes than the one which can be combined with cemetary, which is daytime which I could take after the cemetary.

I'll tell a secret: there's a general test which I took almost a year ago and I slept for a little too long and didn't even go to the right address so I missed the first part of the test, so my score on the first part was 0. I took the rest of test. Despite this, or perhaps thanks to my grades from college (I don't yet know which) I was admitted. 60 applied this time around and 10 of them will get to start. Studies start annually. I will have to take the test again and be there on time and I guess I should have OK chances to get admitted to the second year of cemetary.

Can I prepare on my own now for a month + in the Summer 2015 for Gk class?
I have these books:
Read Greek in 30 Days or Less: New Testament, Old Testament, Apocrypha, Philo, Church Fathers $14.95 on pre-pub.
Greek Is Good Grief: Laying the Foundation for Exegesis and Exposition $21.71
A Preparatory Grammar for New Testament Greek $17.21
Learn to Read New Testament Greek $29.99
Learn to Read New Testament Greek - Workbook $15.99
... as well as lexicons, EDNT (3 vols.), NIDB (in print and the Logos pre-pub order), no minimal crossgrade, Bronze, Original Languages Library $332.76, NIV11 with G/K numbers in Accordance, Reverse Interlinear of RSV New Testament $49.95 on pre-pub, Verbum Foundations+ which includes English-Greek Reverse Interlinear of the NRSV Apocryphal Texts, Works of Xenophon (14 vols.) community pricing order $28, and on one tablet the Noet app which added the Iliad, vol. 1: Greek Text from the Loeb Classical Library for free. And I will buy the soon forthcoming new Edition of NIDNTT when it comes out (what will be the abbreviation for the new Edition?). I will be adding second year Gk functionality in Accordance somewhat cheap.

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 6,200own
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Posts 406
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 11 2014 12:13 PM

Unix:
I just got the notice from university that I have been admitted to cemetary
YES! Definitely! If I were notified I had been admitted to the cemetary, I would absolutely cancel my Greek studies. Big Smile    >>>

Post-Haste, To avoid having to do it Posthumously.

Posts 2733
DominicM | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 11 2014 12:29 PM

Unix:
Can I prepare on my own now for a month + in the Summer 2015 for Gk class?
I have these books:

Yes, but you may not have time.. ask seminary which book they use, the others will give you a overview, but may do more short term damage if they teach a different method.. 

Never Deprive Anyone of Hope.. It Might Be ALL They Have

Posts 7543
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 11 2014 4:54 PM

Unix:

I just got the notice from university that I have been admitted to cemetary...

Oh my goodness, are you gonna die or just work with dead people? LOL Sorry, I had to throw that in there.  By the way, is "Cemetery" not cemetary; unless that's the British way of spelling it or unless it's something entirely different than what I'm thinking - pardon my ignorance. Stick out tongue

You know what they say, "Anticipation of death is worse than death itself." Steven Seagal LOL

DAL

Posts 406
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 11 2014 5:15 PM

DAL:

By the way, is "Cemetery" not cemetary; unless that's the British way of spelling it or unless it's something entirely different than what I'm thinking - pardon my ignorance. Stick out tongue

You know what they say, "Anticipation of death is worse than death itself." Steven Seagal LOL

Unless it's Stephen King:

Posts 4109
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 11 2014 5:23 PM

having just completed my second semester of Greek, I suggest only studying greek in advance if you know the title the professor will use. Contact the school, and then pick a greek professor, ask him what book, and then study it.

Greek has a lot of grammar to memorize and while memorizing some of it may be helpful, you may just over complicate things by learning things in a different order. IE maybe you cover 1st, then 2nd then 3rd declension nouns together, or maybe you learn 1st and 2nd in first semester, and third in second (which was how I learned), or maybe you learn verbs first, or, or, or, or... You get the idea.

L2 lvl4 (...) WORDsearch, L9

Posts 1198
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 11 2014 6:01 PM

I know English is not your first language, but I believe the word you are looking for is "seminary."

If not, and you really think it is better instead to say "cemetary" every single time, I would suggest: not to go.

Posts 175
Silent Sam | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 11 2014 6:05 PM

Hmm HHHMMMmmm~~~ Hmm

Posts 1130
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 11 2014 6:09 PM

Studying beforehand makes things much easier. If you have the funds to take an online course I suggest the Institute of Biblical Greek: http://www.biblicalgreek.org/classes/web/BegWC.php#time

Great course! I took it as a refresher and had great fun.

Posts 18921
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 11 2014 6:23 PM

Sean:
If not, and you really think it is better instead to say "cemetary" every single time, I would suggest: not to go.

George Somsel jokingly calls it cemetery every time he mentions it too, and nobody corrects him. And English is his native language. He's joking and we all know it. It's an in-joke. Lots of people who went to seminary call it that, because it has a reputation of killing your faith, though it doesn't have to if you keep up your spiritual disciplines.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 11 2014 6:52 PM

Rosie Perera:
though it doesn't have to if you keep up your spiritual disciplines.

Amen!

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 29757
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 11 2014 7:10 PM

Sean:
I know English is not your first language, but I believe the word you are looking for is "seminary."

Okay guys give Unix a break. George insists he went to cemetery and George is never. wrong. Stick out tongue

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 29757
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 11 2014 7:17 PM

abondservant:
Greek has a lot of grammar to memorize and while memorizing some of it may be helpful, you may just over complicate things by learning things in a different order. IE maybe you cover 1st, then 2nd then 3rd declension nouns together, or maybe you learn 1st and 2nd in first semester, and third in second (which was how I learned), or maybe you learn verbs first, or, or, or, or... You get the idea.

I don't follow your logic - what difference does it make what order you learn the grammar -- or whether you learn grammar as you read or independently? However, I do agree with your conclusion that you should know what text the Greek professor uses so that you will learn the same terminology as you will need later.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 29757
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 11 2014 7:21 PM

Rosie Perera:
Lots of people who went to seminary call it that, because it has a reputation of killing your faith

Interesting - never heard it had that reputation before. I need to quiz my daughter-in-law.

Posts 18921
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 11 2014 7:32 PM

MJ. Smith:

Rosie Perera:
Lots of people who went to seminary call it that, because it has a reputation of killing your faith

Interesting - never heard it had that reputation before.

A quick Google search shows that it's a very common theme:

Posts 2189
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 11 2014 7:33 PM

MJ. Smith:

abondservant:

I don't follow your logic - what difference does it make what order you learn the grammar -- or whether you learn grammar as you read or independently? However, I do agree with your conclusion that you should know what text the Greek professor uses so that you will learn the same terminology as you will need later.

When I did my undergrad Greek the Professor used a deductive approach - learn the conjugations, declensions and vocabulary then find how they are used in Scripture. When I studied the 2nd time (25 years later) in Graduate School the Professor used an inductive approach (get into the text within the first few lessons). The Pedagogy for both approaches is quite different. If a student has drawn conclusions about what the "best" answer is before the Professor's pedagogical approach asks for it, then the student may short circuit the learning process.

I have seen examples in the forum of Unix recommending a preferred translation before he has even studied the languages. I fear that if he entered a seminary class with the opinion that he already knows the answer, he would be robbed of the pleasure of discovery that accompanies the teaching of a well trained professor.

I do not want to appear harsh or critical, because I have also been guilty of sitting in classes with a "less than teachable" mindset and it has been to my detriment. As Carson spells out in Exegetical Fallacies, there are too may examples of people assigning meanings to the text based on a little understanding of the Languages that are different than one reads when he understands gentle nuances of the language.

Since Unix has been provided with the means to sit under the instruction of trained professors, it would be good to allows those professors to do what they were trained to do.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 406
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 11 2014 7:33 PM

MJ. Smith:
Okay guys give Unix a break. George insists he went to cemetery and George is never. wrong. Stick out tongue
OK, Unix, Take a break. If you want to attend the cemetary, That's fine with me. Furthermore, If you want to emulate George, That also will be your choice.

Posts 1198
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 11 2014 7:56 PM

David Thomas:

I have seen examples in the forum of Unix recommending a preferred translation before he has even studied the languages. I fear that if he entered a seminary class with the opinion that he already knows the answer, he would be robbed of the pleasure of discovery that accompanies the teaching of a well trained professor.

I do not want to appear harsh or critical, because I have also been guilty of sitting in classes with a "less than teachable" mindset and it has been to my detriment. As Carson spells out in Exegetical Fallacies, there are too may examples of people assigning meanings to the text based on a little understanding of the Languages that are different than one reads when he understands gentle nuances of the language.

Since Unix has been provided with the means to sit under the instruction of trained professors, it would be good to allows those professors to do what they were trained to do.

I had a post ready but the internet ate it. 'Twas probably for the better. David said it better anyway.

"Cemetery" was funny, occasionally, about 50 years ago; one of the first rules of humor is "don't run the joke into the ground." It might get a pass from a graduate; from a prospective student it represents a very poor attitude to begin with. There are problems with seminary but also the people who attend there and their hangups, preconceptions, and unrealistic expectations. To a large extent, you get out of it what you put into it.

Also, as a caretaker for the dead, I have to say that some of us are genuinely trying to serve God and the church this way. A little politeness (i.e., not reflexively disparaging our calling) would be appreciated.

(Putting in a *smiles* to show I'm not mortally offended. Also ending my hijack here--not that the OP has much to do with Logos Bible Software either.)

(Logos Bible Software is excellent, BTW. Big Smile)

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 11 2014 8:11 PM

David Thomas:
The Pedagogy for both approaches is quite different. If a student has drawn conclusions about what the "best" answer is before the Professor's pedagogical approach asks for it, then the student may short circuit the learning process.

For that reason I agree that Unix should wait until class begins to study in earnest.  My professor used the inductive method. I would have wasted my time  had I prepared by studying the deductive method. Surprise

Zondervan Biblical Languages Collection (35 vols.) is a good collection if you are not going to seminary.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 29757
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 11 2014 9:04 PM

David and Super Tramp,

Your experience does not mirror mine but I'll defer to your experience in seminary. South and Central Asian languages in Graduate School are decidedly different.

Page 1 of 3 (55 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS