to cemetary, postponing starting Gk by 1 year?

Page 3 of 3 (55 items) < Previous 1 2 3
This post has 54 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 130
Willard Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 13 2014 12:05 AM

Unix:
Are You familiar with exactly how liberal it is?
How liberal is it?

Posts 29389
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 13 2014 12:22 AM

The Ethiopian Lutheran Church has broken off relationships with the ELCA and the Church of Sweden by name ... and any unnamed churches that agree with them.

BTW: the Ethiopians claims to have more worshipers on any given Sunday than the ELCA has in a month.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 406
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 13 2014 4:18 AM

That casts a new light on Eccuminism. Wiff Us, Or Agin Us! Surprise

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 13 2014 5:31 AM

Haven't talked to them about it, but in fact they actually probably would not, as I believe a Church leader from the 2nd century: Ptolemey, it's "Gnosticism":

Bill Coley:
It is worthy of note that, your conclusion about them notwithstanding, those folks probably would call you a Christian:
Unix:
Oh so You are familiar with it? Not that it surprises me that You are. Are You familiar with exactly how liberal it is? It's outrageous. I don't call them Christians:

Also, I believe in Purgatory in Afterlife, and few believe that anymore, no Church has it as its current theology.

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 6,200own
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Posts 406
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 13 2014 6:55 AM

Unix:
Also, I believe in Purgatory in Afterlife, and few believe that anymore, no Church has it as its current theology.
Why am I Not Surprised?

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 13 2014 7:11 AM

Jews believed it at least 100-150 years before Christ on earth. See 2 Mc.

Aply!
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11

Posts 4028
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 13 2014 8:28 AM

I suppose a similar thing could be said of a forum.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Platinum & WORDsearch

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 13 2014 8:34 AM

Big Smile I just love these forums! Surprise

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 29389
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 13 2014 11:16 AM

Unix:
no Church has it as its current theology.

incorrect - "final purification" is the key term that will find most theologies believing in it.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 5292
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 13 2014 11:23 AM

I love that picture.....

There is a story that tells a truth. Peter a symbol of the church, is confronted by a saint saying you are letting the wrong sort into heaven. Peter says I have a very strict policy and only let it the purest of saints. Then Peter is lead to see several people great sinners who committed unforgivable acts, who believed what Peter was sure was damnable heresy. Peter was outraged. I let none of these in we much examine Heaven's walls there must be a breech. Around the first bend in the wall he saw Jesus pulling multitudes over that Peter had rejected. We are all sheep and goats, God's grace infinite. I do not expect to get to Heaven and see Hitler or Stalin, but God's grace and the state of each one's heart at death is ultimately God's business. In Heaven's cloud of witnesses there may well be astonishing absences and presences. But discussion heading in this direction would likely need to move to another forum.

-Dan

Posts 74
Ralph Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 13 2014 12:14 PM

It's intriguing that each of us feels compelled to share our thoughts and nursery rhymes. They are germane, Possibly required reading. But, Any further input should be moved to Another ForumStick out tongue

Posts 525
Kent | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 13 2014 7:36 PM

If I knew I was going to cemetery soon, I'd put off Greek also. It would seem kind of pointless.

Posts 175
Silent Sam | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jul 15 2014 3:23 PM

Ralph Hale:

It's intriguing that each of us feels compelled to share our thoughts and nursery rhymes. They are germane, Possibly required reading. But, Any further input should be moved to Another ForumStick out tongue

Hmm HHHMMMmmm~~~ Hmm

Posts 52
Dan Starcevich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 16 2014 2:56 PM

Here are my thoughts for what it is worth.

• I get the humor but it it seems like 'cemetery' to you then don't go.
  • I didn't;t go to seminary until I was in my early 30s and I learned Greek just fine. I know of several who were older than me. So don't worry about age.
  • My experience, and I think this is generally true, is that in seminary you learn to exegete Greek not learn the language as if you were going to sight read. There is a difference. It is good to keep that in mind when you engage with your study of the language.
  • Give yourself some grace, experience the process and don't rush through seminary. There is more to seminary and education in general then just picking off credit hours. Allow the experience of being among people seriously studying God's word and the process of learning the Bible at a new level shape you, Look into the differences between English or Classical education and German education sometime.
  • What book the seminary uses doesn't make a difference. You will probably use a modern grammar such as Mounce which is great. I recommend that you expand your experience during the "pre-Greek" phase and get a classic grammar such as Wenham. Whatever you can learn is going to help you once the pre-Greek is done. There is a lot of useful free resources on-line too.

Life is short, love God, enjoy seminary or not if it is going to seem like death to you.

God Bless!

Dan

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 18 2014 11:07 AM

Thank You, Keith! I made my decision, applying late to an introductory New Testament Greek distance tuition course was possible:
http://www.uu.se/utbildning/utbildningar/selma/kursplan/?kpid=27572&lasar=14%2F15&typ=1
... I now applied to it. Click "Litteratur" to see the list of books.
And I accepted the seminary which I will study for one year. Instead of focusing on Gk during the Autumn semester 2014.
The pace will be 125% of full-time all the time during the two semesters.
I will probably work only an hour or maximally two hours a week during these two semesters.

Like I said, after these two semesters I will focus on Gk.
I haven't decided what exactly to do after that but will mostly continue to study either in this seminary or take a few classes in Roman-Catholic seminary (where I have already taken one Hermeneutics class on an advanced level during Spring 2014, the easiest of the books is also used during the fourth semester in the seminary where I'm start in August 2014 but as I'm reading much more than the mandatory Greek it will be the sixth or possible even later semester) which is in the same town as the introductory New Testament Greek distance tuition course which I'm going to study now:

Keith Larson:
Studying beforehand makes things much easier. If you have the funds to take an online course I suggest the Institute of Biblical Greek: http://www.biblicalgreek.org/classes/web/BegWC.php#time

Great course! I took it as a refresher and had great fun.

Aply!
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11

Page 3 of 3 (55 items) < Previous 1 2 3 | RSS