Anyone using Scrivener for Sermons?

Page 2 of 3 (45 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 44 Replies | 10 Followers

Posts 233
Jim Erwin | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 6 2014 9:47 AM

How does it handle footnotes with Logos? 

I have used Apple Pages until the latest update, which prevented me from copying and pasting footnotes. Could you elaborate on how you use it?

http://www.patheos.com/blogs/jimerwin/ - a postmodern pastor in a digital world

Posts 159

Scriver and Logos 5 footnotes on Mac OSX :   For a previous discussion about Pages, see this thread

Scrivener is a great Desktop client and they are working on an iPad app, but I wish they would add the ability to share projects and collaborate/comment with other people. 

Posts 28552
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 6 2014 11:23 AM

Jim Erwin:
Could you elaborate on how you use it?

I purchased it when it was on sale, but haven't had a chance to learn how to use it yet... Experienced users can correct me if I am wrong, but it seems that its niche could be described as "non-linear" writing. Both Word and Pages are really designed to start writing at the top of the page and work down, page after page. Scrivener is designed to be able to move things around... Kind of like if you were to write on 3x5 cards and then decided to shuffle the order. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 343
Abram K-J | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 6 2014 1:17 PM

+1 to all that Lavinia said!

As for the usage question, here's how I used it for seminary paper. (Too long to post here, hence the external hyperlink.)

Abram K-J: Pastor, Writer, Freelance Editor, Youth Ministry Consultant
Blog: Words on the Word

Posts 525
Kent | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 6 2014 2:08 PM

Excellent write up Abram.Yes

Posts 343
Abram K-J | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 6 2014 4:32 PM

Thanks! I'll post at some point about how I've been using it for sermon prep. There's a ton in Scrivener that I've hardly begun to utilize.

Abram K-J: Pastor, Writer, Freelance Editor, Youth Ministry Consultant
Blog: Words on the Word

Posts 11
Tim Latham | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 14 2014 3:57 PM

I've been using scrivener for all my Christian writing including the book on Revelation. I use the hyperlinks extensively in my exegetical research before writing the book itself and the chapters. Because I'm dealing with the word of God accuracy and being in the Spirit is extremely important coupled with Logos and Scrivener its an unbeatable team to assist in that. The note taking module for Logos is unpredictable some features work others don't depending on the recent updates. Programmers can't find all the problems, since logos is quite complex in what its doing. Scrivener is easy in copying and pasting original text Greek or Hebrew is easy between the two programs.

I use a lot outside resources, text, rtf, word, pdf, jpg as well as videos and am able to pull those into scrivener create a hyperlink just click on the link when I want to display the text.  When I'm done exegeting the passage with all of its research then I write the chapter, which then can be compiled to a book or even a script. My research notes are not part of the compile but available at anytime in the source document. 

Where I find the problem mostly is going from scrivener or Online Bible with my notes of the last 40 some years. Logos is not very flexible in regards to that area, its gotten better but they haven't done much work in importing routines for other systems. After three years of using Logos with a very extensive library I still can't hyperlink in the note area successfully. 

I could if I was doing sermons use scrivener  as overheads with the hyperliinks with popups while teaching. Just to summarize I would use Logos for the research, utilizing the documents, guides, and tools while using scrivener to document all the research and the final product. Logos is a wonderful research tool but it has a way to go on the final output products, its notes and personal books. I'm still trying to import 500 theology doctrines I've researched in the last forty years into Logos its very time consuming. Hope this helps. The two program are excellent when combined together! 

Posts 28552
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Sep 14 2014 5:46 PM

Thanks for sharing Tim. Smile

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 11
Tim Latham | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 16 2014 9:15 AM

Just got a few minutes here so I've done a quick snapshot of my scrivener screen, just to demonstrate what it looks like. The left column is my binder with the outline, there is a total of eight books in this series. using common resources. Each chapter has a two parts the, the chapter of the book and second is the research for the book plus its resources. The resource modules has documents from the web, logos, and any other sources. Hope this comes out ok. Your right about the 3X5 cards approach but its much more than just that. When I start a new project I drag my resource folder (several hundred docs) over to the new project and my templates and start afresh. 

Next I'll show the scrivener with logos desktop:

This is the best screen for what I do, which is multimedia bible study books not perfect but it works. It's flexible and can be outputted to several different formats. Logos does a fine job of copy with citations into scrivener. The only problem I've experience is importing scriveners export into Logos note panel although it does a fine job in the Logos Personal books. 

Posts 11
Tim Latham | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 16 2014 9:16 AM

Just got a few minutes here so I've done a quick snapshot of my scrivener screen, just to demonstrate what it looks like. The left column is my binder with the outline, there is a total of eight books in this series. using common resources. Each chapter has a two parts the, the chapter of the book and second is the research for the book plus its resources. The resource modules has documents from the web, logos, and any other sources. Hope this comes out ok. Your right about the 3X5 cards approach but its much more than just that. When I start a new project I drag my resource folder (several hundred docs) over to the new project and my templates and start afresh. 

Next I'll show the scrivener with logos desktop:

This is the best screen for what I do, which is multimedia bible study books not perfect but it works. It's flexible and can be outputted to several different formats. Logos does a fine job of copy with citations into scrivener. The only problem I've experience is importing scriveners export into Logos note panel although it does a fine job in the Logos Personal books. 

Posts 1141
Juanita | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 16 2014 1:38 PM

Tim,

It would be great to see what you are doing....but neither example is showing up.  I do have Scrivener but haven't used it much.  Thanks.

Posts 1
Ryan Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 20 2015 8:50 AM

Do you have a template you'd be willing to share?

Posts 1875
Alan Macgregor | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 20 2015 9:00 AM

I am using Scrivener for writing longish reports (c. 6000 words) of academic conferences, where I do a lot of editing and précising of notes, abstracts and scanned handouts. It's quite good for that.

However, for writing academic papers I use Mellel which is brilliant for multi-lingual sentences, especially in Hebrew or Aramaic.

For preaching I use a mind-mapping program, MindNode Pro.

I use Pages 4.9 for orders of service and general word-processing.

Every blessing

Alan

iMac Retina 5K, 27": 3.6GHz 8-Core Intel Core i9; 16GB RAM;MacOS 10.15.5; 1TB SSD; Logos 8

MacBook Air 13.3": 1.8GHz; 4GB RAM; MacOS 10.13.6; 256GB SSD; Logos 8

iPad Pro 32GB WiFi iOS 13.5.1

iPhone 8+ 64GB iOS 13.5.1

Posts 790
James Hiddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 20 2015 10:28 AM

Thanks for bumping this up Ryan. Scrivener looks like a nice piece of software. God Bless you always!

James

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 20 2015 10:41 AM

James Hiddle:
Scrivener looks like a nice piece of software.
It is outstanding! I wrote my doctoral thesis with this software. I know this is a Logos forum, but this product is in no way in competition with Logos, so I would recommend anyone that does serious writing of any type to check out this software. It is really powerful and affordable. 

Posts 232
Joel Madasu | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 20 2015 10:55 AM

I loved it, and still do. Its a great program. It is a writing studio! I had to stop using it because it didn't work well with Hebrew text - a big part of my dissertation. So I moved to another one. BUT,  I am sure I will get back to it some day! 

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 20 2015 11:12 AM

Joel Madasu:
I had to stop using it because it didn't work well with Hebrew text
That is a flaw. Doesn't work well with Greek either. 

Joel Madasu:
So I moved to another one.
What did you move to?

Posts 232
Joel Madasu | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 20 2015 11:43 AM

Yes, it is! I had to stop using it after three chapters :/ I wish it worked well with Hebrew and I wish I used it to finish my dissertation, but I got tired of editing all Hebrew Text. I really like the Research tab, where we can pull all the resources we want to work with!

Scrivener used have some issue with exporting, may be its fixed now. Somehow, this program runs on Java. I had issues exporting it, especially to Word - why? Because, my committee likes Word :) 

I moved to Mellel. It is a great program; it never crashed; a bit complicated set up, but it works perfect with ancient languages!

Posts 808
Kevin Maples | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 20 2015 11:59 AM

Joel Madasu:
I moved to Mellel.
From the website it looks like this program is only available for Mac. I'm a PC guy. 

Posts 232
Joel Madasu | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 20 2015 12:26 PM

ah.. ok :) 

Yes, it is for Mac. But there are other programs that I kind of played around with, but only liked  LibreOffice. It works great with Hebrew!

Page 2 of 3 (45 items) < Previous 1 2 3 Next > | RSS