Page 4 of 5 (97 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 96 Replies | 10 Followers

Posts 271
Don | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 18 2009 12:12 PM
Bohuslav Wojnar:

Lynden Williams:
I have at least 5 or more lisences for the KJV. I can only use it once on my computer.

What I would like to be able to give away is, if I bought separatelly some resource, for a full price, and latter I buy a collection with the resource included. It looks to me logical, that I would be able to give away the single resource I bought as a single resource, and give away collection if I bought a collection. Am I wrong in my thinking?

It would depend if you bought an upgrade package which was discounted because you already owned that specific resource.
Posts 2736
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 18 2009 12:34 PM

Don:
It would depend if you bought an upgrade package which was discounted because you already owned that specific resource.

As you probably noticed I said: "if I bought separatelly some resource, for a full price, and latter I buy a collection with the resource included..."  It is perfectly understandable that there can't be any re-sale or giving away if you used the resource for getting an upgrade.

Bohuslav

Posts 1690
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 18 2009 4:35 PM

I expect the fee will be applied "per transaction" -- if you want to transfer four products in one call, then one fee. If you call four times over four weeks, that's probably going to be four  fees.

Posts 1690
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 18 2009 4:36 PM

JohnFidel:

Thanks for the reply and the change in policy. Will downloads be available for transfer? 

Yes. There's no difference to our license system between a download and a disc delivery. The disc may have a serial number, but it's the same license system.

Posts 3663
Floyd Johnson | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jun 18 2009 5:11 PM

Bob Pritchett:
I expect the fee will be applied "per transaction"

Thanks Bob - though it will be awhile (I hope) before it becomes an issue, I appreciate your thoughts.

Blessings,

Floyd

Blessings,
Floyd

Pastor-Patrick.blogspot.com

Posts 94
Rob | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 19 2009 1:12 AM

Bob,

Thank you for this reply. I am grateful for the result since the 10% fee seemed a bit much to me, but the policy is not what I am most grateful for or most impressed with. Even though I didn't understand it, I had just sort of assumed Logos was trying to do what was best and had a reason for the fee.

What I would most like to express my gratitude for is the way Logos (obviously including Bob) has strived to make a profitable business that continues to develop the best tools available, while at the same time desiring to do what is best for the customer. In my view, Logos continues to strive to reflect what it means to be a "Christian Business". Are they perfect, "No", but since Jesus isn't the CEO and only employee perfect isn't going to happen.

Thank you Logos for your efforts to do what is best (and most honoring to Christ) in your business decisions.  (Again, I can't read hearts, but it seems the decisions over the years have reflected this desire.)

Rob

www.3rdcultureliving.com - Simple Abundant Legacy

Posts 390
Alain Maashe | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 19 2009 9:58 AM

Bob,

Thanks for your gracious input

you have restored my faith in Logos and satisfied all my concerns

Alain

Posts 67
Brian Whalen | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jun 19 2009 10:09 AM

Perhaps this is their way of battling piracy?  I bought mine from a friend who wan't using it, so I had to pay this.

Brian Whalen

http://www.mcnazarene.com

Posts 555
John Kaess | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jun 22 2009 7:16 PM

Bob Pritchett:
So now, with a fixed license transfer fee of $20, I hope you'll find us fair. It costs us around $12 to take a customer service call, and there are other costs involved. (We need to redesign some of our systems to make this easier to do in the databases.) We're going to limit license transfers to "things you bought". That means you can transfer anything you purchased as a unit (which better matches what we track in our system), but we're not going to support unbundling a massively discounted collection so someone can make money re-selling a collection one book at a time for a sum more than the cost of the whole bundle.

Thanks Bob.   I own the Scholar's Gold along with many many other packages and resources. This policy is M0RE than fair.  I would be very comfortable if you only transferred individual personal libraries in toto, not collections or resources purchased in any other form, ESPECIALLY not items bought from community pricing or pre-orders (and I have done a lot of those).

My single concern as I approach old age was that my large investment in Logos resources would be able to be passed on to my son.  Personally, paying even $50 for being able to do that sounds like a good deal, but paying $1,000 or more for 10% of retail would be not only a hardship, but something that would give me very hard feelings toward Logos.  I've been a Logos user since 2.0 days and have always found your policies and practices to be fair.  Not only that, but you are still in business while other bible software products I've purchased are not.  Keep up what you are doing and may God continue to bless Logos and you personally.

Posts 1945
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 23 2009 5:16 AM

Yes, John, I am in agreement also with your post.  Thanks Bob for clarifying the case. It would be nice if what you stated could not only be found on the forum, but also made clear in an article on the website.  I say this because a year or two from now, it may be difficutl to find the post where Bob answers the transfer question.

Posts 2774
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 23 2009 9:50 AM

Bob Pritchett:

Sorry it's taken so long for me to jump in on this. I've been wrestling the policy dragon.

BOTTOM LINE:

We're removing the 10% fee and setting the fee at a fixed $20.

Thanks Bob for taking the time to work this out and doing what is right be all of your customers.  Yes

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 271
Don | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jun 23 2009 1:50 PM
Bob & Logos are trustworthy!
Posts 641
Jim | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 9 2009 11:27 AM

I too have several thousand dollars wrapped up in my Logos library and am getting up in years so this is a concern. I paid for and own these resource so I should be able to give them to whomever I wish and my family should be able to manage that when the Lord takes me home without being gouged. It would certainly be true for my computer and any physical books I own. I can understand Logos charging a fixed fee for the work they must do to transfer the registration of the resources (even if that's to pay for the programming it would take to do it electronically) but frankly a percentage fee sounds like a gouge.

<rant> Logos/Libronix has been a technology innovator in electronic libraries. It seems their transfer policy hasn't kept pace. In a retail store, I can understand a restocking fee being a percentage of the price because it affects inventory and in some cases more expensive may mean more handling and space (larger box) plus they want to discourage returns. But all the resources are simple files and they don't have to be handled by Logos.
The work involved in transferring registration has nothing to do with the price of the object. Logos does not have to even handle the item. We are just talking about transferring the right to unlock it. How can that be a function of the value of the object? Perhaps they think that the recipient is getting a great bargain, but that ignores that the product was paid for in the first place.</rant>

Perhaps Logos could shed some light on this policy that we have overlooked?

Have a great day,
jmac

Posts 2774
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 9 2009 11:35 AM

JimMcDaniel:
Perhaps Logos could shed some light on this policy that we have overlooked?
Bob P. did this some time ago.  Please read his post since this has already been resolved

http://community.logos.com/forums/p/87/677.aspx#677

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 3767
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 9 2009 1:42 PM

Wow, look at a what I missed while slogging it out at a great (and later, very muddy) Cornerstone festival!  Appreciate the vigilance of the customers and the attentiveness (and pointed graciousness) of the company (and Bob, personally). 

I DO appreciate the constant FREE upgrades in platform (unlike, say, MS) and I realize the value I have received from bundled resources.  Am thankful I can pass on the licenses to my kids (hopefully they will use them), and hopefully there will continue to be software to use it on current systems of that future day.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 641
Jim | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 9 2009 2:35 PM

Wow. Now that's a quick solution. How appropriate that I'm studying the beatitudes - a quick lesson on meekness. Thanks Joe for putting and end to this before the thread continued in the wrong direction.

It was nice of Bob to take the time to develop clear analogies and help us understand his point of view. I know that the rise of digital information creates a number of problems for concepts of private ownership and payment of content creators and distributors that our society hasn't resolved very well. I've respected Logos' license mechanism and am happy to live with it partially because they set a good example of making it so painless and transparent.

I understand Bob's arguments, but I'm not sure I appreciate the problems of the shop keeper who creates a problem for himself by making assumptions that don't end up being true when he creates bundled deals. I think he should live with the ramifications of whatever he does.If he doesn't, wouldn't that mean that he would destroy a fundamental feature of free markets - the concept of wholesalers and retailers and all the markups that happen between the factory worker and the final customer?

On the other hand I understand that part of his  problem is that he has to navigate a broken (read evil) world that tries to exploit everyone at every turn. Until Jesus comes, you really only have two solutions, and we are wrestling with them even now in our culture: free market or government controlled market. Well I digress.

Anyway bravo for Logos.

Have a great day,
jmac

Posts 142
John Hapgood | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 9 2009 2:59 PM

Bob Pritchett:

I hate policy, and try to resist it wherever possible. I tell our customer service reps that the only policy I care about is taking care of the customer.

People like policies, though. It makes the future knowable, provides clarity, absolves one of responsibility, eliminates difficult judgment calls, etc.

You know your a politician when . . .

The first thing you do when you get up in the morning is - Form a Policy!

Posts 20
Dean Chao | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 4 2009 12:48 PM

Hi Bob,

http://www.logos.com/support/lbs/faq#transferlicenses

Logos FAQ page still says that downloadable resources are not good for transfer. is the page outdated?

thx

dean

Posts 1690
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 5 2009 8:01 AM

I spoke ahead of things; I didn't realize we had technical issues that made transfering downloadable resources more difficult, and that we were prohibiting it for that reason.

Since I went ahead and said it was okay, the team has been trying to clear all the issues and make it work; the transition is still underway.

Sorry for the confusion!

-- Bob

Posts 384
Calvin Habig | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 5 2009 8:19 AM

Thank you Bob.  That means a great deal that you are doing that: not only in terms of the value of resources, but also in term so customer care.  Thanks again.

Cal Habig

Page 4 of 5 (97 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS