How many commentaries are enough?

Page 2 of 5 (87 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 86 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 29383
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 23 2014 12:34 AM

deleted by author out of concern it may be misunderstood.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2588
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 23 2014 1:28 AM

deleted - dnftt goal achieved

Posts 406
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 23 2014 1:43 AM

Unix:
are there many volumes from a denomination that I want to avoid like the plague (in my case Southern Baptist, Greek Orthodox, Seventh-Day Adventist, Jehovas Witness, and the entirely Wesleyan sets)?
Unix:
I will be interested in what others say on this topic
As long as they don't appear on your "Avoid like the Plague List"?

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 23 2014 1:48 AM

Everyone can say what they want about any commentary and also let me say what I want. I know how long it took me to choose between denominations - an exercise I'm not going to take anew but which helps me to discern - so yes anyone may freely comment about the topics being discussed. I would prefer not having to abandon the forums completely - I already said clearly that soon I won't have much time so either way You will see me posting A LOT less.

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 6,200own
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Posts 130
Willard Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 23 2014 2:07 AM

Unix:
first to look for years at which books of the Bible are worth studying, (and also split some books of the Bible such as Isaiah and 2 Corinthians as they didn't originally "come out" like they are now in the canon), then decide whether You want to exclude books that were either very late or not genuine or contain a bit of "Gnosticism", such as: Esther, Wisdom, Luke chapters 1-2, Colossians, Pastorals, 2nd Peter (I think most would exclude this one), Apocalypse.
It's amazing that you can determine which books are "Worthy" of study, Even before you attend "Cemetary".

Imagine the insight you will impart having graduated. Surprise

Posts 116
Paolo russo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 23 2014 2:51 AM

(Just my opinion)

How many commentaries are enough?

They are enough, when you start shopping mostly on lexicons.

How many lexicons are enough?

They are enough, when you start shopping mostly on dictionaries.

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 23 2014 3:07 AM

I have done my best up to this point, including rectifying typos in my posts one of which is now gone since about a week and lead to a misunderstanding by Lee, I had to make a choice or else I would still not know which books of the Bible to cover and which commentaries to buy. During the most intensive semesters I will have absolutely NO time to make any kind of new decisions regarding any kind of books, including commentaries. Any and all decisions I will postpone to semesters when I study 50% of full-time pace or little more, plus to a distant future after studies. And during Greek studies I won't be around on the forums just to be able to focus better and not be distracted by what's offered. Theology-discussion forums will be more than enough distraction and I'll try to get friends who study or have studied Greek to ask them language questions.

And Yes I study Colossians eagerly plus I don't exclude "Gnosticism":

Willard Scott:
It's amazing that you can determine which books are "Worthy" of study, Even before you attend "Cemetary":
Unix:
first to look for years at which books of the Bible are worth studying, (and also split some books of the Bible such as Isaiah and 2 Corinthians as they didn't originally "come out" like they are now in the canon), then decide whether You want to exclude books that were either very late or not genuine or contain a bit of "Gnosticism", such as: Esther, Wisdom, Luke chapters 1-2, Colossians, Pastorals, 2nd Peter (I think most would exclude this one), Apocalypse.

I have now said all I needed to say on this topic. There's no point in responding to me, respond to others please!

Willard, this Spring 2014 I have already taken a Hermeneutics class on an advanced level and it was on a just suitable level. Also, I applied to a Bible college for the semesters Autumn 2012 Spring 2013 and they replied by postal mail that I'm over-qualified and because of that didn't let me enter the Bible college and in the letter they suggested I should go to the seminary instead - which is on university-level - and I wasn't even done with college so I had to wait. (Want me to scan and post the letter if You don't believe me?) Since that time I have acquired lots of more advanced books and started to read them:

Willard Scott:
It's amazing that you can determine which books are "Worthy" of study, Even before you attend "Cemetary".

Aply!
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11

Posts 4028
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 23 2014 5:34 AM

Joseph Turner:

"How many commentaries are enough?"

All of them Geeked

This :)

also:

Willard Scott:

Unix:
first to look for years at which books of the Bible are worth studying, (and also split some books of the Bible such as Isaiah and 2 Corinthians as they didn't originally "come out" like they are now in the canon), then decide whether You want to exclude books that were either very late or not genuine or contain a bit of "Gnosticism", such as: Esther, Wisdom, Luke chapters 1-2, Colossians, Pastorals, 2nd Peter (I think most would exclude this one), Apocalypse.

Imagine the insight you will impart having graduated. Surprise

This too :)

unless you are going to the seminary of the heresy, it's better to be more teachable. The shocking part to me is the statement about parts of the bible being unworthy of study. 

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Platinum & WORDsearch

Posts 9250
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 23 2014 5:37 AM

abondservant:
don't feed the trolls.

Do trolls really exist in the Logos forums? Confused

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 4028
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 23 2014 5:41 AM

Edited. 

There is a marked progression through seminary that begins with hubris and ends with humility caused by the realization that 16 weeks - even at the graduate level is not enough to fully understand the nuances of everything that a class covers.

I rather suspect that we have all been through this. 

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Platinum & WORDsearch

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 23 2014 6:01 AM

I just don't believe You should be a tabula rasa upon entering seminary. You should want to learn more but You also need a strong faith that will last throughout so I think it's important to prepare. I'm sorry, but if I would have found IRL friends in time with whom to discuss I would have needed to write less on the forums until now. It doesn't surprise me that it was hard to find, I live in the most Atheistic City in the world - You can't even read a New Testament on the bus-station without people coming up to You and angrily questioning that. Even so some of You will think there will never be any need for someone like me (and I can't understand why You think You know me or my story) to be a pastor maximally 25% of full-time pace, religious teacher 25% of full-time pace, author one book (which I would publish at least in English, but people over here know English somewhat and possibly (at least simple copies) in three languages), or a theologian on the web.

I've been open. But [...edited by author...] as needed to handle people who share openly.

Aply!
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11

Posts 2588
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 23 2014 6:27 AM

Unix:

I've been open. But I know little about Lee and Willard Scott other than that they will object to anything I say no matter what topic. They don't know as much of every Science (not naming which Science I'm thinking about) as needed to handle people who share openly.

You are definitely trolling, hijacking another perfectly good thread with your provocative nonsense. I am reporting your posts as abuse.

Posts 175
Silent Sam | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 23 2014 6:31 AM

Unix:
they replied by postal mail that I'm over-qualified and because of that didn't let me enter the Bible college
Unix:
You will see me posting A LOT less.
                                                                                   Hmm HHHMMMmmm~~~ Hmm

Posts 4028
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 23 2014 7:57 AM

at the risk of being a jerk. has any one else noticed that after the last time he was called out for using more than one account to talk on the forums, that his other personality named "no" has vanished?

to quote silent sam

Hmm HHHMMMmmm Hmm

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 23 2014 8:36 AM

Everett Headley:

I just picked up Boice's commentaries and EBC (old school version) mainly just to replace dead tree versions with Logos ones.  It got me thinking, just how many commentaries are enough?  I generally use about 4 or 5 and have others that are more technical or specialized for difficult texts.  After adding these two to my Logos Library, I probably will not buy any more sets, just individual volumes here and there.  I guess it only took me 10 years to get all of the ones I want in Logos, but it made me wonder how many everyone else uses on average and if they will buy more just to have more in Logos?

ONE

If it's the right one (one that answers your questions).

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 5292
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 23 2014 10:15 AM

Here, here George, well said. I have said before and meant it I would feel at no serious disadvantage if the New Interpreter's Bible was my only commentary. I am blessed to be able to have the insights of numerous scholars at my finger tips but your answer reminds me of Mary and Martha “few things are needed—or indeed only one. Mary has chosen what is better, and it will not be taken away from her.”” (Luke 10:42 NIV11). Thank you for your wise reminder.

-Dan

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 23 2014 10:24 AM

Dan Francis:
Mary has chosen what is better

Recommended by Mary ~~New Interpreter’s Bible (12 vols.)

Place your order now and save!

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 332
Lonnie Spencer | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 23 2014 11:08 AM

I need just as many commentaries as it takes to help me understand the bible text. No more and no less.

Posts 5573
Forum MVP
Rich DeRuiter | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 23 2014 11:17 AM

Everett Headley:
It got me thinking, just how many commentaries are enough?

For some reason your question reminded me of what Dominicans said about how many Dominicans you could get on a public transportation bus there. The answer: "At least one more."

About 90% of the time, I use just 3 or 4 commentary sets. But for particularly difficult texts, or when I have a specific question that is not addressed in my main sets, I might pour through many, many more. Occasionally this helps me find a gem I might otherwise miss by sticking with my standard "go to" resources.

Help links: WIKI;  Logos 6 FAQ. (Phil. 2:14, NIV)

Posts 11073
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 23 2014 11:33 AM

First, the thread question is non-sensical.  How many shovels do you need? Depends on what you're digging.  Depends on if it's rock.  Now, if we were talking caskets, probably one could put a number on it.

But I'll defend Unix a bit.  I too pick commentaries on belief.  And the number of commentaries is constrained by Logos' penchant for serving the most number of customers. Indeed, I've never met anyone that wastes money on what they don't believe.  And yes, you can read the implications of that statement.  In fact, with our pastor, who's pretty broad-minded, one need not even verbalize the name of commentaries that are in opposition to his beliefs. It's quite obviously offensive to him.

And regarding 'seminary', there are denominations that view 'seminary' as an obvous avoidance of 'the text'.  Just like in our fairly large retailing company, 'book learning' was viewed as a step in the wrong direction. Results matter.  Get results; who cares what you did at 25.

Luckily for the seminarians, the good apostle Paul went to seminary.  Just the wrong one.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Page 2 of 5 (87 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS