How many commentaries are enough?

Page 4 of 5 (87 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next >
This post has 86 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 3249
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 23 2014 7:34 PM

George Somsel:

Whyndell Grizzard:

If the Bible is the Word of God, inspired or written by the unction or direction of the Spirit of God (i.e. Holy Spirit) would He not by virtue of the Word alone draw and teach us? even without commentaries? AHHH! but we're directed that...

"11 And He gave some as apostles, and some as prophets, and some as evangelists, and some as pastors and teachers, 12 for the equipping of the saints for the work of service, to the building up of the body of Christ; 13 until we all attain to the unity of the faith, and of the  knowledge of the Son of God, to a mature man, to the measure of the stature which belongs to the fulness of Christ. 14 As a result, we are no longer to be children, tossed here and there by waves, and carried about by every wind of doctrine, by the trickery of men, by craftiness in deceitful scheming; 15 but speaking the truth in love, we are to grow up in all aspects into Him, who is the head, even Christ, 16 from whom the whole body, being fitted and held together by that which every joint supplies, according to the proper working of each individual part, causes the growth of the body for the building up of itself in love."

So teachers have an important place- but they are not God- but His servants, like all of us His children. So where does this leave us- read the verses again- balance Brethern, balance- Christ :)

This was a reminder to myself today- I needed it- badly.

Oh, please spare me.  "Study to show yourself approved unto God …"  It doesn't come magically by infusion.

It doesn't- hmmm! depends on Who does the infusing doesn't it George? Spare you- no- get a life jerk- you don't know me nor I you so spare me your moronic crap!

Posts 406
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 23 2014 8:03 PM

I feel the Love!Big Smile

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 23 2014 8:15 PM

Whyndell Grizzard:
If the Bible is the Word of God, inspired or written by the unction or direction of the Spirit of God (i.e. Holy Spirit) would He not by virtue of the Word alone draw and teach us? even without commentaries? AHHH! but we're directed that...Spare you- no- get a life jerk- you don't know me nor I you so spare me your moronic crap!

You may be taught by the spirit, but somehow I don't think it was the Spirit of God—perhaps the spirit of Jack Daniels.   "By contrast, the fruit of the Spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, generosity, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, and self-control."

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 29591
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 23 2014 11:30 PM

Whyndell Grizzard:
so spare me your

reported as inappropriate name calling. Keep your theology on ChristianDiscourse and your name calling outside the range of parental figures. ... And, yes, I know George is provocative not innocent.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2038
Unix | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 24 2014 5:29 AM

There is a thread where I welcome new contributions. It's off-site. The site is free (but if You want to get rid of ads and get a bigger PM box You can pay a fee - I usually pay that fee): Practical Commentary on Scripture
Latest post: Go to last post
Goodbye!

Aply!
trulyergonomic.com 6,200own
12G A9-9420 V8.6 Acc 11
d:'13Q3 12G

Posts 175
Silent Sam | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 24 2014 9:15 AM

Hmm HHHMMMmmm~~~ Hmm

Posts 2588
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 24 2014 9:42 AM

That's a very pregnant hmmmmmm. You're much wiser than you let on, silent one!

Posts 406
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 24 2014 5:13 PM

Yes

Posts 116
Paolo russo | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 25 2014 12:50 AM

Too much anger here: was the question originally wrong?

I mean, instead of "How many commentaries are enough", should we ask "How much a new commentary add to the previous collection that you have? When a new commentary doesn't increment your studies' abilities?"

Sometime I feel that the negativity comes from a subconscious reaction to a (not clear) negative question.

Posts 11181
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 25 2014 7:35 AM

Subconscous reaction to 'too many commentaries'??  Well, ok.

I think it has more to do with a group of Christians that aren't aware of just how wide their respective beliefs are strewed.  We learned that (or at least I did) with Logos embracing a sizable Catholic customer-base.  I'm still trying to grasp that in the 2nd Temple period with jews.

But what subconciously bothers me the most is Silent Sam being so loquacious.  Obvious example: what I call 'the Four Threes' (yes, a silent but powerful statement on what's known as the four threes theology, long believed to have been disenfranchised in the early 13th century at Acco). The doubling of m's relative to h's, suggesting breathing out is a big no-no. And the secret 'handshake' of '~~~' that other forumites can't easily duplicate without using the shift key.  It's so obvious, I wonder why it's subconscious.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 175
Silent Sam | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 25 2014 7:50 AM

Denise:
But what subconciously bothers me the most is Silent Sam being so loquacious.  
                                                                                             Hmm HHHMMMmmm~~~ Hmm

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 25 2014 8:24 AM

Paolo russo:
Too much anger here: was the question originally wrong?

There was nothing wrong with the original question.  The negativity was all carry on baggage that originated in other threads.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 5301
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 25 2014 10:55 AM

Not only is there nothing wrong with the original question  but it is an extremely good one. Everyone is different. Some people want nothing more than to study the Bible text alone (although to a point every translation is a commentary as are many lexicons). Those people ignore the wisdom of the Church's 2000 years of study of the scripture, the old saying is true. We can see so far and so well only because we stand on the shoulders of giants. We remember Quoleth's words: “Of anything beyond these, my child, beware. Of making many books there is no end, and much study is a weariness of the flesh.” (Ecclesiastes 12:12 NRSV). And we well disagree, but in the end there is a wisdom there, most of us can only use so many books daily. Logos becomes a more powerful tool when you add more books. But each one has to decide for themselves how many are enough. I am for the most part trying to say I have enough and just trying to complete series as volumes become available. That said a preacher may come along and look at my Library and state fine start but you need x y and z. While a scholar may come along and say you never a b and c. The point is for me my Library contains what I need. It is indeed a personal question with likely as many answers as there are users. But it is a question we should all ask ourselves.

-Dan

Posts 946
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 25 2014 1:50 PM

I guess my point with my original question was that I do indeed have all the commentaries I want at this time.  This mainly means commentary sets.  I will, as needed, and as new scholarship comes along, add individual commentaries.  I at any given time will consult 5-8 commentaries for a sermon, each having a  different approach and content.  I have probably over 20 commentaries for each book of the Bible, more if the classics are added.  For me, the real triumph was that after 10 years I am finally completely digital with my commentaries.  EBC and Boice were the last ones.  Finally.  

As an aside, I deeply am disappointed with the level of aggression and general lack of love for each other, especially in this thread.  It really makes me wish this forum was monitored in a way that would end that kind of treatment.

Posts 334
Lonnie Spencer | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 25 2014 2:48 PM

Everett Headley:

As an aside, I deeply am disappointed with the level of aggression and general lack of love for each other, especially in this thread.  It really makes me wish this forum was monitored in a way that would end that kind of treatment.

AMEN!!!!!!!!!

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 25 2014 3:00 PM

Everett Headley:
For me, the real triumph was that after 10 years I am finally completely digital with my commentaries.

Praise God. What a blessing.

Everett Headley:
It really makes me wish this forum was monitored in a way that would end that kind of treatment.

It isn't and it won't be. Crying

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 3249
Whyndell Grizzard | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 25 2014 9:38 PM

MJ. Smith:

Whyndell Grizzard:
so spare me your

reported as inappropriate name calling. Keep your theology on ChristianDiscourse and your name calling outside the range of parental figures. ... And, yes, I know George is provocative not innocent.

This is why I stay off this forum as much as possible- report all you want, kick me if you like, will not keep me awake at night.

Posts 4061
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 25 2014 9:55 PM

I think a different question could be, is it even possible to have too many? I am thinking not. As long as there are commentaries out there that I don't have (and I have hundreds), then there are questions I haven't thought of and answers to investigate. I do try to avoid the theological fringes however. I suppose there has to be a line somewhere.

L2 lvl4 (...) L8 Platinum, WORDsearch

Posts 29591
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 26 2014 12:15 AM

Whyndell Grizzard:
will not keep me awake at night.

nor will the forums keep me awake at night. Unfortunately, however, there are Logos users who are hesitant to come online to ask legitimate questions because of the disrespect shown. I do want them to learn to use and enjoy Logos as well.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 5301
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 26 2014 1:56 PM

abondservant:
I think a different question could be, is it even possible to have too many? I am thinking not.

The one instance where one can have too many is if you end up with so many that it scares you to dig deeper since you don't want to be overwhelmed. Now for most users this will not be an issue, but I know some people could have too much.

-Dan

Page 4 of 5 (87 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS