How many commentaries are enough?

Page 5 of 5 (87 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5
This post has 86 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 3942
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 26 2014 2:01 PM

May I never find my self out of curiosity.

Better to have them and not need them than need them and not have them.

One can always simply not read /every/ commentary on a given subject.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 334
Paul Strickert | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 26 2014 2:07 PM

Whyndell Grizzard:

This is why I stay off this forum as much as possible- report all you want, kick me if you like, will not keep me awake at night.

I hear you, Whyndell.  I have long noticed a double standard on the forums.  Some people get reported for the least infraction; others get (for all intents and purposes) a free pass for their chronic "provocative" behavior. 

Posts 67
Scott Groethe | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 26 2014 8:47 PM

This subject came alive to me when a year ago was with a Christian best friend of mine for the better part of week. We hadn't spent much extended time with each since we were both saved in the late 1970's. He's a no commentary guy, I am a commentary guy. Didn't feel like getting into the topic with him, and why?

If there are learning styles, if there are at least four basic personalities (David Keirsey Please Understand Me) then we will all disagree on this. I've seen enough videos and read enough posts from Mark Barnes to say I am more like him. Everyone will be different, results will vary.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 26 2014 9:25 PM

Scott Groethe:
I've seen enough videos and read enough posts from Mark Barnes to say I am more like him.

That is nice. Mark Barnes' preaching is humble and authoritative. He knows how to use commentaries.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 130
Willard Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 27 2014 7:16 AM

Paul Strickert:

Whyndell Grizzard:

This is why I stay off this forum as much as possible- report all you want, kick me if you like, will not keep me awake at night.

I hear you, Whyndell.  I have long noticed a double standard on the forums.  Some people get reported for the least infraction; others get (for all intents and purposes) a free pass for their chronic "provocative" behavior. 

This surprises Y'all?

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jul 27 2014 9:00 AM

Willard Scott:
This surprises Y'all?

Not really. But reporting doesn't mean much since the moderating is done by Logos. We have no way of knowing what gets reported and what doesn't. If Logos finds something objectionable enough I guess they will delete posts or lock a thread. They have only banned a handful of users. 

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 2575
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jul 28 2014 6:01 AM

Everett Headley:

It got me thinking, just how many commentaries are enough?  

How many? Found this tidbit on how many in a commentary on Revelation:

""Given that many other commentaries on Revelation are available, a legitimate question is: Why yet another? (...) 

First, no one Bible reader or student will ever see the words of God in exactly the same way. Our minds are so unique and individual— our perspectives so singularly our own— that no two people will draw from a verse or passage exactly the same insights. Were that not true, we could all settle for hearing only one sermon our entire lives on the Second Coming of Jesus, as no one else would have anything to add. But the fact is that we can hear our 479th sermon on the Second Coming and still say to ourselves afterward, I never thought of that before!""

So that writer supports 479 [or more] on each subject / book.

Page 5 of 5 (87 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 | RSS