Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 24 Replies | 3 Followers

Posts 652
Jeremy | Forum Activity | Posted: Sun, Jan 3 2010 10:12 PM

I would really like to be able to buy the apparatus for the BHS and NA27, but it only comes with the SESB and I really don't need any of the resources in that collection and can't justify paying a few hundred dollars for an apparatus. I really wish that I could purchase the apparatuses separately. Is this ever going to be a possibility?

Posts 187
Anthony Etienne | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 3 2010 10:22 PM

This is going to sound really stupid, but what is an apparatus? And how is it used, will this be beneficial to anyone, or to those that are seminary trained PHd etc?

Posts 403
777 | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 3 2010 10:36 PM

JeremyEllis:

I would really like to be able to buy the apparatus for the BHS and NA27, but it only comes with the SESB and I really don't need any of the resources in that collection and can't justify paying a few hundred dollars for an apparatus. I really wish that I could purchase the apparatuses separately. Is this ever going to be a possibility?

I'm a sucker for the BHS apparatus after seeing Damian's screen captures in this thread: http://community.logos.com/forums/t/8649.aspx

I wish they'd fix the lemma search so I'd feel confident about buying the SESB.  I think that if you wait around for it to be something that you can buy piecemeal that you might be waiting a long time.  There doesn't seem to be that many people with as much of an interest in the original languages that would require them to want the apparatuses. And I'd figure that those SESB apparatuses are glued to the SESB resources, so prying them out may be a chore.

It doesn't hurt to ask though.  It would be a nice thing to offer from Logos.

Posts 403
777 | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 3 2010 10:44 PM

Wow.  This is a steal compared to the SESB.  http://www.accordancebible.com/store/details/?pid=Studienbibel

I need to tell my GF that I need a new Mac. Big Smile

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 3 2010 10:57 PM

Anthony Etienne:
This is going to sound really stupid, but what is an apparatus?

No such thing as a stupid question.

From the pocket Dictionary of Biblical Studies:

apparatus, critical. The text-critical footnotes found on the pages of most editions of the Hebrew OT and Greek NT. These notes cite various manuscript sources and readings that either support or differ from the printed text. Current English versions of the Bible occasionally indicate important textual differences with the phrase “some ancient manuscripts omit” or “some ancient manuscripts add” in the footnotes.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 3 2010 10:58 PM

JeremyEllis:

The answer is almost assuredly "No" since SESB is a product of the German and Dutch Bible Societies, not Logos.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 3 2010 10:59 PM

JeremyEllis:

There is a smaller version: http://www.logos.com/products/details/3005  ($160)

Of course, the apparatuses without the BHS text and the NA27 text would be fairly useless.

Posts 187
Anthony Etienne | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 3 2010 11:01 PM

Damian McGrath:

Anthony Etienne:
This is going to sound really stupid, but what is an apparatus?

No such thing as a stupid question.

From the pocket Dictionary of Biblical Studies:

apparatus, critical. The text-critical footnotes found on the pages of most editions of the Hebrew OT and Greek NT. These notes cite various manuscript sources and readings that either support or differ from the printed text. Current English versions of the Bible occasionally indicate important textual differences with the phrase “some ancient manuscripts omit” or “some ancient manuscripts add” in the footnotes.

Thanks Damian, I have always been curious about what it was.

Posts 9947
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 3 2010 11:04 PM

Anthony Etienne:

This is going to sound really stupid, but what is an apparatus? And how is it used, will this be beneficial to anyone, or to those that are seminary trained PHd etc?

The first part has already been answered.  A critical apparatus is only of benefit to a person if they have an interest in biblical studies and have an IQ higher than 70.  Wink

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 187
Anthony Etienne | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 3 2010 11:12 PM

George Somsel:

Anthony Etienne:

The first part has already been answered.  A critical apparatus is only of benefit to a person if they have an interest in biblical studies and have an IQ higher than 70.  Wink

Wohoo! I qualifyStick out tongue thanks George for the info this helps me to make purchase decisions down the road as I continue to grow in my study and usage of Logos 4.

Posts 652
Jeremy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 3 2010 11:21 PM

George Somsel:

JeremyEllis:

The answer is almost assuredly "No" since SESB is a product of the German and Dutch Bible Societies, not Logos.

Can't Logos buy the apparatus from the same people that they get the NA27 and BHS from?

Posts 403
777 | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 3 2010 11:23 PM

George Somsel:

So, it's not like an either / or thing? 

Posts 403
777 | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 3 2010 11:26 PM

Anthony Etienne:

Wohoo! I qualifyStick out tongue thanks George for the info this helps me to make purchase decisions down the road as I continue to grow in my study and usage of Logos 4.

DO NOT ask George about any reverse interlinears.  please.

Big Smile

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 4 2010 12:04 AM

JeremyEllis:
Can't Logos buy the apparatus from the same people that they get the NA27 and BHS from?

They have already organised a cut-down version (referenced above).

And, again, the apparatus without the texts would be useless.

I'm guessing that if a deal could be done, they could offer the SESB BHS plus Apparatus for about $60.

Posts 403
777 | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 4 2010 12:12 AM

Damian McGrath:

There is a smaller version: http://www.logos.com/products/details/3005  ($160)

Of course, the apparatuses without the BHS text and the NA27 text would be fairly useless.

Hmmm.  I thought this was the ~older~ version.  No LXX though.  Bah!

Posts 433
Vincent Setterholm | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 4 2010 12:23 AM

The SESB for Logos Users will be re-configured to include some of the newer materials. Might be done already (I thought I saw a copy of the new configuration at SBL), but we'll have to verify that before we change the marketing materials. I'll ask around.

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 4 2010 12:23 AM

MikeM:
I thought this was the ~older~ version.

It is an "older" version but the texts are the same.

MikeM:
No LXX though

Are your referring to the LXX apparatus?

Posts 2212
Damian McGrath | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 4 2010 12:25 AM

VincentSetterholm:
The SESB for Logos Users will be re-configured to include some of the newer materials. Might be done already (I thought I saw a copy of the new configuration at SBL), but we'll have to verify that before we change the marketing materials. I'll ask around.

Champion, Vincent (I'm guessing the new apparatus LXX and Vulgate)

Might I suggest that you ask the marketing people to modify the pages to indicate that some features do not work with v4.

Posts 352
Mike & Rachel Aubrey | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 4 2010 1:01 PM

MikeM:
Hmmm.  I thought this was the ~older~ version.  No LXX though.  Bah!

Swete's text & apparatus are in progress.

Posts 62
Mike T | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Jan 10 2010 10:24 AM

VincentSetterholm:

Vincent,

Any update on the re-configuration of the SESB for Logos Users? 

Thanks,

Michael

Page 1 of 2 (25 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS