Dear vocabulary police, please explain PBB

Page 1 of 1 (12 items)
This post has 11 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 26867
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Jul 25 2014 11:34 AM

In Libronix, one obtained a Personal Book Builder (PBB) module to create Personal Books (PB's). After Libronix, the idea of add-in modules was dropped and the ability to create PB's was integrated into the main program. So why in Logos 5 do people talk about sharing PBB's? What does the second B stand for?

Sincerely,

a very puzzled L5 user

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 212
Simon | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 25 2014 11:58 AM

MJ. Smith:

In Libronix, one obtained a Personal Book Builder (PBB) module to create Personal Books (PB's). After Libronix, the idea of add-in modules was dropped and the ability to create PB's was integrated into the main program. So why in Logos 5 do people talk about sharing PBB's? What does the second B stand for?

Sincerely,

a very puzzled L5 user

Old habits die hard, I guess. But thanks for reminding us. I'll try to remember next time to type PB in stead of PBB.

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 25 2014 12:01 PM

These are Personal.baby.Books - since they still need to grow a little up to Logos' claim that they would be first rate citizens:

• materially different search within PbB
  • have to be compiled on each machine separately
  • cannot go to ADULT places (iPhone, Android tablets)
  • still waiting for PbB store (home) - they must be orphans

Posts 5613
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 25 2014 12:22 PM

It's the short form of PBBBBBBT!  This bear demonstrates the pronunciation:

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 25 2014 12:23 PM

toughski:
These are Personal.baby.Books - since they still need to grow a little up to Logos' claim that they would be first rate citizens:

You nailed it.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 3938
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 25 2014 10:03 PM

I always try to call them PB's personally, though I do forget at time, or in deference to those easily confused in our midst fold to the pressure to add the second B. Perhaps we should call it an oxford B? like the oxford comma except that its neither a comma, nor unpronounced.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 18726
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 25 2014 10:24 PM

In Libronix days, people called the personal books generated by the Personal Book Builder PBB's because the file extension was PBB (or LBSPBB or something). Logos still uses the old nomenclature in file names and file types, so it's understandable that people continue to call these things PBB's. I've switched to calling them PB's though.

Posts 6498
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 25 2014 10:36 PM

MJ. Smith:

Sincerely,

a very puzzled L5 user

Personally, I still see it as a Personal Book Builder, the only difference is that back then you paid a separate premium that expired yearly (I think) and now you don't.  You still get to build your own Personal Books.  I think the feature should still be called PBB, but when sharing we only share PB's - does it make any sense? Huh? It used to be an "add-in module" with a premium extra fee, now it comes as part of the base package (or at least that's what we've been lead to believe, since the price on the base packages has gone up a lot instead of remaining the same; e.g. Platinum used to be 1600 and change, now it's gone up to 2100 and change - I think Bronze and Silver are the only exception no price increase, that is).

The error in those who talk about sharing PBB's is that they don't realize you cannot share the "Feature" (PBB), but the final product, i.e. the Personal Books (PB's).

DAL

Ps. Anyway, back to your question.  The second B stands for "Builder"

Posts 1639
Allen Browne | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jul 25 2014 11:30 PM

MJ. Smith:
What does the second B stand for?

2 Bs, or not 2Bs?
That is the question? 

:-)

Posts 2736
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 26 2014 1:21 AM

Rosie Perera:
Logos still uses the old nomenclature in file names and file types, so it's understandable that people continue to call these things PBB's. I've switched to calling them PB's though.

That is my reason to use PBB, the second reason is I like history Smile

Bohuslav

Posts 27781
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 26 2014 4:25 AM

Good one Allen. Smile

On another note: Rosie, is your PB in public domain? 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 1962
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jul 26 2014 5:17 AM

We still have to build our personal books.  So it still makes sense to say PBB.  There is nothing wrong with calling these resources pb or pbb.

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS