Order of commentaries in Sermon Starter Guide

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 12
bsc | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jul 30 2014 1:29 PM

Is it possible to alter the order of commentaries in the Sermon Starter Guide searches?  I want certain commentary sets to be retrieved in a certain order in every Sermon Starter Guide search.

Posts 1830
Kenneth Neighoff | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jul 30 2014 1:39 PM

in the main library screen, use the prioritize feature and those commentary sets will appear first in the sermon starter guide and even in the passage guide. 

Posts 12
bsc | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 4 2014 1:04 PM

Did it; thanks Kenneth.

In case anyone else consults this thread, I found that I needed to place a Bible version at the top of my preferred commentaries list, otherwise the verse links will retrieve corresponding material from commentaries instead of the actual Bible verse(s).

Posts 24841
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 4 2014 6:16 PM

etc, etc:
I found that I needed to place a Bible version at the top of my preferred commentaries list, otherwise the verse links will retrieve corresponding material from commentaries instead of the actual Bible verse(s).

Verse links in resources also depend on prioritization, but they will use commentaries unless you prioritize your bibles before commentaries i.e.

• Bible 1
  • Bible 2
  • Bible 3
  • Bible 4
  • Bible 5
  • Commentary  1  ---> usually a series (multi-volume) or single volume complete commentary
  • Commentary  2
  • Commentary  3
  • Commentary  4
  • Commentary  5
  • Commentary  6

You should prioritize at least 5 bibles and 6 commentary sets.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 12
bsc | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 8 2014 1:19 AM

Hi Dave,

I currently have only 2 bibles: my current favorite bible version and the NRSV for apocrypha verse links; what is the advantage of having at least 5 bibles?

Thanks

Posts 24841
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 8 2014 11:31 PM

etc, etc:
I currently have only 2 bibles: my current favorite bible version and the NRSV for apocrypha verse links; what is the advantage of having at least 5 bibles?

The context menu will list up to 5 bibles containing that reference, but you may need to prioritize more than 5 bibles to allow for different translations and cater for different versification schemes e.g.

• ESV
  • REB  ----> my second favourite translation
  • NET  ---->  my third favourite translation
  • NRSV  ---> for Apocrypha books not covered by above
  • Lexham English Septuagint
  • Lexham English Septuagint (Alt texts) 

Most of the time I will only use the first three, but I may occasionally want to know about Apocryphal & Septuagint links.

So you should definitely prioritise your two bibles and only think about purchasing others if they benefit your study.

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS