LOUW NIDA VS BIBLE SENSE LEXICON

Page 1 of 3 (56 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 55 Replies | 7 Followers

Posts 8
Rev Uche Nwoye | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jul 31 2014 2:31 AM

I use Bible Sense Lexicon which I love so much. Do I still need Louw Nida? Any difference between the two?

Uche

Posts 309
Lonnie Spencer | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 31 2014 8:25 AM

Yes you still need Louw and Nida for this very fact. Say you are looking up a word in an English dictionary like Merriam Webster. What you expect to find is not just a bunch of one word glosses, but actual definitions. And you would expect to find those definitions in one place- under the word you looked up- so you can see how that word is used in the context of its different meanings. For example, if I am looking up the word "trunk", I would expect to find more then one definition. Trunk can mean a storage compartment in a car, something a man wears when he swims, an appendage on an elephant, etc. If it only had gloss words like car, swimming, and elephants, that would not be helpful at all. To see how a word is translated in the bible is not the same as seeing the range of meanings or definition of a word. The Bible sense sort of moves towards meaning by giving a brief definition of a word, but you would have to look at all the places that word is used in order to find its range of meanings. Few people have that kind of time or discipline. Louw and Nida does have meanings for words but they unfortunately are not all listed together in the same place. One has to look up the word in the lexicon, double click on the word which will bring up a range of meanings, and then you have to click on each word to see its definition in its context. The better solution is the BDAG, if you can afford it which also gives meanings for words but puts them all in one place, like you would expect in a Merriam Webster English dictionary. Just remember that comparing bible translations on a verse, or one or two word glosses  is not the same as finding the range of meanings of a word.

I'm sure someone with more language knowledge than I will come along and refine this, or correct what I have said. And I would welcome that because I would like to learn more about this myself. But for now, in my humble opinion, keep using your Louw and Nida with your Bible Sense Lexicon, if that is your only options. But the best choice is BDAG 3rd edition.

Posts 73
Tim Bray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 31 2014 11:00 AM

Hi,

I use LN in a different way. It's a very handy resource to create either visual filters (like the one above) or searches. I the above example after reading a passage many times I turn on this visual filter to check if I have may have missed anything in the text. Of course you can do a search on the LN ranges to get the same result but this way is much faster.

Tim

Posts 86
J David Shuttleworth | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 31 2014 11:47 AM

To, Tim

Is there any way that you could share how you made the visual filter for the Louw-Nida. I am a bit perplexed. 

Thank you, and God Bless.

David

Posts 512
Sarel Slabbert | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 31 2014 12:28 PM

J David Shuttleworth:

To, Tim

Is there any way that you could share how you made the visual filter for the Louw-Nida. I am a bit perplexed. 

Thank you, and God Bless.

David

Yes, please. And is there any other resources, except Louw Nida that can be used in this way?

Posts 73
Tim Bray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 31 2014 12:29 PM

Posts 73
Tim Bray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 31 2014 12:39 PM

Hi,

Not sure what other resources but if you find one please let me know...I love the power that logos gives us for this sort of stuff. You may want to try John @ www.learnlogos.com I picked up quite a few of his webinars that have been very helpful with this sort of stuff. Actually he taught me how to search using LN ranges, all I did was convert that into a visual filter.

Cheers

Tim

Posts 28251
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 31 2014 12:57 PM

Nicely done Tim. You might want to share it on the faithlife visual filters group.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 34
John Fallahee | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 31 2014 12:59 PM

Hi Everyone,

Tim suggested I offer some training and tips. So here is a free training event to learn all the tips, tricks and secrets for using Louw-Nida for Bible Study and Sermon Preparation. 

Live, Free Event with Q & A | Monday, August 25, 8-9 PM (ET) http://learnlogos.enterthemeeting.com/m/EMJ6XJ8B

NOTE: It will be recorded, but you will have to sign-up to be notified when the recording is available

Blessings,

John Fallahee

LearnLogos.com

Posts 73
Tim Bray | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 31 2014 1:11 PM

Hi all,

Here is a faithlife group with the highlight palette and visual filter.

Download them both and you're good to go.

https://faithlife.com/louw-nida-visual-filter/documents

Blessings

Tim

Posts 22368
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jul 31 2014 11:59 PM

Hi Tim

Many thanks for sharing this.

Good work - appreciated

Graham

Posts 215
Simon | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 1 2014 2:13 AM

Tim Bray:

Hi all,

Here is a faithlife group with the highlight palette and visual filter.

Download them both and you're good to go.

https://faithlife.com/louw-nida-visual-filter/documents

Blessings

Tim

Thanks, you made my day! This is a really valueable filter!

Posts 1150
Anthony H | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 1 2014 5:49 AM

Thanks Tim.

But when I go to https://faithlife.com/louw-nida-visual-filter/documents there is nothing listed.

Posts 22368
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 1 2014 6:07 AM

Hi Anthony

Anthony H:
But when I go to https://faithlife.com/louw-nida-visual-filter/documents there is nothing listed.

Have you pressed the "Join" button to join the group?

Graham

Posts 1150
Anthony H | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 1 2014 6:43 AM

Graham Criddle:

Hi Anthony

Anthony H:

Have you pressed the "Join" button to join the group?

Graham

Thanks Graham.... I had inadvertently chosen "Follow" rather than "Join"  :)

Posts 149
Timothy Brown | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 1 2014 7:36 AM

It appears that this visual filter works fine even if you don't have Louw-Nida. If you're using a Bible with Louw-Nida numbers, you're good to go.

Windows 8.1 64-bit, Core i5-3330, 8GB RAM

Posts 117
LogosEmployee

Lonnie Spencer:

Yes you still need Louw and Nida for this very fact. Say you are looking up a word in an English dictionary like Merriam Webster. What you expect to find is not just a bunch of one word glosses, but actual definitions. And you would expect to find those definitions in one place- under the word you looked up- so you can see how that word is used in the context of its different meanings...

I can't speak to visual filters (which look very nice for Louw-Nida), but just to speak to finding all of the Bible Sense Lexicon definitions for a lemma (and also some of the phrases associated with it) in one place, it is possible to do this. If you are in the BSL tool, you can click on a lemma, which will open up the Bible Word Study guide:

Then, just look for the senses section:

Posts 309
Lonnie Spencer | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Aug 1 2014 1:18 PM

Thanks Jeremy! That does make it a lot more useful. Learn something new everydayYes

Posts 762
Patrick S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 2 2014 5:39 AM

Graham Criddle:

Hi Tim

Many thanks for sharing this.

Good work - appreciated

Graham

+Yes Tim, good stuff.

"I want to know all God's thoughts; the rest are just details." - Albert Einstein

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 2 2014 9:32 AM

Tim Bray:
I use LN in a different way. It's a very handy resource to create either visual filters (like the one above) or searches. I the above example after reading a passage many times I turn on this visual filter to check if I have may have missed anything in the text. Of course you can do a search on the LN ranges to get the same result but this way is much faster.

+1 Yes Thanks plus shared "Louw-Nida 89 Relations" Highlighting Palette & Visual Filter

=> https://faithlife.com/logos-visual-filters/documents

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 3 (56 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS