Installing Logos 5 on Ubuntu 14.04LTS via Q4Wine

Page 1 of 1 (3 items)
This post has 2 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 25
Rod Letchford | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Aug 2 2014 3:31 AM

Has anybody successfully installed Logos 5 on a Ubuntu 14.04LTS machine via Q4Wine? If so, can you tell me how it was done? Thanks.

Rod

Posts 762
Patrick S. | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 2 2014 5:04 AM

Not saying anything against WINE as such, but coming at this from another direction....

Is there a reason why you want to run WINE instead of a (full featured) virtual machine host like VMware Workstation for Linux 64-bit?

Yes going the VMware Workstation route will cost you in terms of capital cost but you have to compare that (capital) cost against the potential cost in (your) time and frustration in trying to get Logos running under WINE. And again... not saying that WINE is bad and/or that you can't run Logos under WINE, but more saying what is your goal? If you want to have Logos running, and running well, then personally I would go the Windows virtual machine route. If you run workstation 64 bit (assuming you are running Ubuntu 64 bit) then you can take advantage of your Linux distro running 64 bit and run Windows 7/8 as 64 bit. Logos is still hobbled and runs as a 32 bit application but the client Windows OS will benefit from running 64 bit.

So, if you are committed to Ubuntu no problem, you can still run Logos as a fully 'native' Windows application using other required Windows components (.NET) smoothly.

Again, sorry for not directly answering your question re: WINE, but wondering if you have considered all the options.

"I want to know all God's thoughts; the rest are just details." - Albert Einstein

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 2 2014 11:12 AM

Roderick Ronald LETCHFORD:
Has anybody successfully installed Logos 5 on a Ubuntu 14.04LTS machine via Q4Wine?

Technical road block is lack of open source alternative for Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) that is used by Logos 5.

Keep Smiling Smile

Page 1 of 1 (3 items) | RSS