Page 3 of 4 (75 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next >
This post has 74 Replies | 8 Followers

Posts 6481
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 20 2014 9:49 AM

It has been almost two weeks since Bradley made the announcement. Any chance of 5.3 Beta 1 being released tomorrow? Hoping for speed increases on a machine that has maxed its ram out at 4 GB.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 7983
LogosEmployee
Bradley Grainger (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 20 2014 12:43 PM

Lynden Williams:
Any chance of 5.3 Beta 1 being released tomorrow?

It's unlikely. We're working out some final kinks in the installer (which is usually the last part to be tested).

Our current installer works well on a clean machine, but doesn't correctly upgrade 5.2b in-place. While we'd love to put "Only install this on a fresh machine" in the Release Notes, and have everyone read and follow those instructions, there are probably far too many existing machines still set to check the "beta" channel to make that a feasible plan.

Posts 2465
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 20 2014 6:47 PM

Bradley Grainger (Logos):

Our current installer works well on a clean machine, but doesn't correctly upgrade 5.2b in-place.

Yes, you probably have to keep the resources but nuke everything else!

Posts 7983
LogosEmployee

Lee:
but nuke everything else

No, all databases can be upgraded in-place.

The issue is ensuring that all 32-bit DLLs get replaced with the corresponding 64-bit version, including Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime DLLs and DirectX Runtime DLLs.

Posts 2465
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 20 2014 9:54 PM

No, all databases can be upgraded in-place.

The issue is ensuring that all 32-bit DLLs get replaced with the corresponding 64-bit version, including Microsoft Visual C++ Runtime DLLs and DirectX Runtime DLLs.

That's good news. That mean no re-indexing. The C++ and DX runtimes will be a bear. I'd be tempted to uninstall and reinstall, even if you had a working solution.

Posts 24850
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 21 2014 4:42 AM

Does this mean we cannot have a 32-bit and a 64-bit installation on the same machine, or will there be two Prerequisites; one for x86 and the other for x64?

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Posts 7983
LogosEmployee

Dave Hooton:
will there be two Prerequisites; one for x86 and the other for x64?

There will be two.

Dave Hooton:
Does this mean we cannot have a 32-bit and a 64-bit installation on the same machine

You should be able to, but I guess we'll find out in the beta. Smile

Posts 975
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 21 2014 7:06 AM

You should be able to, but I guess we'll find out in the beta.

Yes

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 21 2014 7:24 AM

Dave Hooton:
Does this mean we cannot have a 32-bit and a 64-bit installation on the same machine

Yes we will. I run a backup account which will have the current gold release on it, and my main account runs the beta (contra to suggestions - but that ensures regular beta usage.)

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 6481
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 21 2014 9:58 AM

TCBlack:
I run a backup account which will have the current gold release on it, and my main account runs the beta (contra to suggestions - but that ensures regular beta usage.)

Have Logos on two differentt machines. The beta runs on the desktop because I use it more often thanks to Ssd. So I have trouble telling what the stable has at any given time if away from the machine. I seldom use it.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 3937
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 21 2014 10:30 AM

Same Lynden.

The exception will be when they implement PB syncing. I'll (make a full back up first of pbs and logos files) install the beta on both :)

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 571
Martin Grainger Dean | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 21 2014 11:18 AM
Bradley, I have a Win 64 machine. Question is if new 5.3 64 will replace (upgrade) our 5.2b 32, or do I have to reinstall to 64 bits version? Thanks, Martin.
Posts 6481
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 21 2014 12:06 PM

Based on what Bradley has said, you should only need to upgrade.

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 21 2014 4:59 PM

Dave Hooton:
will there be two Prerequisites; one for x86 and the other for x64?

There will be two.

Dave Hooton:

Will 64 bit Logos 5 and Verbum use different registry keys ?  Also, will Windows need 32 bit and 64 bit RSS feeds with links to installers ?

Noticed 32 bit Logos 5 uses HKCU\Software\Logos4 and 32 bit Verbum uses HKCU\Software\Verbum

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 14
Joel Dougherty | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 21 2014 9:37 PM

Thanks for moving forward with all of these changes!

Posts 7983
LogosEmployee

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Will 64 bit Logos 5 and Verbum use different registry keys ?

No, it's an in-place upgrade that uses the same registry keys and folders.

Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :):
Also, will Windows need 32 bit and 64 bit RSS feeds with links to installers ?

No, the one RSS feed will include both the 32-bit and 64-bit installer and the automatic updater will choose the right one for your OS.

Posts 3937
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 26 2014 10:46 AM

Sounds good - looking forward to trying this.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 491
Mr. Simple | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 26 2014 2:57 PM

I hope it takes advantage of the Xeon Phi coprocessors with 61 cores, 244 threads, 512-bit vectors, and 352 GB/s memory bandwidth.

Posts 3937
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 26 2014 3:46 PM

Mr. Simple:

I hope it takes advantage of the Xeon Phi coprocessors with 61 cores, 244 threads, 512-bit vectors, and 352 GB/s memory bandwidth.

Are those even windows compatible yet? last time I read about those your windows pc viewed it as another computing device across the network. Seems like that would be less than useful for logos at this point.

Posts 24850
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 26 2014 3:52 PM

Mr. Simple:

AbsolutelyHuh?

Dave
===

Windows & Android

Page 3 of 4 (75 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS