Offering something free and then requiring a credit card? CustomerServiceFail

Page 1 of 2 (39 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 38 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 5
Steve Shepherd | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Aug 9 2014 12:05 PM

Got an email with this offer.

Throughout August, get Dietrich Bonhoeffer’s Works, vol. 3: Creation and Fall completely free!

Tried to download but the site required my credit card.

:o(

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 9 2014 12:50 PM

Steve Shepherd:

get Dietrich Bonhoeffer’s Works, vol. 3: Creation and Fall completely free!

Hi Steve,        Welcome to the forums.

This issue has been discussed several times and it is unfortunate it we still have to deal with it. I have heard several reasons for this but the official word is; Logos is intending to change the website software and do away with the requirement. I don't know when it will be done.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 26874
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 9 2014 12:53 PM

Welcome to the forums.

Yes, a credit card is required but not used. Logos is in the process of changing their sales software so that it is not required but currently it is required so provide a address to verify that they have the rights to the product in your country and because the software product they use for their cart process requires it. A search of the forums will find several threads on the topic including some where the company explains the current situation and their plans.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 3938
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 9 2014 12:58 PM

MJ. Smith:

Welcome to the forums.

A search of the forums will find several threads on the topic...

Several might be an understatement. Seems like this is probably THE single most common question.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 1077
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 10 2014 7:27 AM

Steve you could also use a PrePaid Debit Card instead. that way you would control the amount that could be charged at any one time. Also Logos has been offering a second book with the free book for only .99 cent which is Great! 

L4 Bible Study, L5 Reformed Bronze, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum, L8 Baptist Platinum.
2015 rMBP 15" 2.2GHz 16GB 256GB SSD, running macOS Mojave   iPad Mini 4,   iPhone 6.

Posts 169
Daniel NM | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 10 2014 3:05 PM

MJ. Smith:

Welcome to the forums.

Yes, a credit card is required but not used. Logos is in the process of changing their sales software so that it is not required but currently it is required so provide a address to verify that they have the rights to the product in your country and because the software product they use for their cart process requires it. A search of the forums will find several threads on the topic including some where the company explains the current situation and their plans.

http://community.logos.com/forums/p/30699/566159.aspx#566159

<!-- -->

Posts 10254
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 10 2014 4:03 PM

I think we need to look at the issue more objectively.

Logos has provided far more information on why it's just too hard not to make potential customers angry.

Now compare the level of we-really-don't-want-to-steal-your-identity-just-yet explanation, to the explanation on the mystic NA28 apparatus (I'm thinking since late 2012?).  Hmmm .... let me see ... I think the NA28 explanation is around here somewhere.

Posts 1895
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 11 2014 6:00 AM

Steve Shepherd:

Not searching the forums for the other ~150 threads which address this issue: customer fail.

-Donnie

Posts 1113
Sean | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 11 2014 6:40 AM

Donnie Hale:

Steve Shepherd:

Not searching the forums for the other ~150 threads which address this issue: customer fail.

-Donnie

Not at all. It is a very reasonable complaint.

I wonder how much potential revenue Logos has lost because of this longstanding problem. I understand the problem from their end but don't believe it is insurmountable. Also: why don't they include a note/link on the shopping cart page explaining it?

Posts 3938
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 11 2014 6:42 AM

near as I can tell they've lost out on giving away about 300 books to people over the years.

*Shrug*

It isn't directly our responsibility to ensure logos doesn't lose sales. It can be annoying when people don't search the forums. I think thats all your seeing here sean.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 10254
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 11 2014 6:54 AM

Sean, Logos has been rolling in the dough since late 2009.  The problem got so bad, they proposed a sky scraper in Bellingham (at the shock of the local planning and zoning commission). 

By asking for a credit card (which automatically makes potential customers nervous), they've been able to slow down the growth, thereby helping their fellow Christian software companies stay in business (and Bellingham to retain its small town appeal).

Rather than being critical, it's proper to truly appreciate their immense kindness (especially the part where they don't tell the customer if they're going to keep the credit card number to share the marketing data with their 'business partners', potentially losing it during a major hack).

Posts 6484
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 11 2014 7:04 AM

Steve Shepherd:

Got an email with this offer.

Throughout August, get Dietrich Bonhoeffer’s Works, vol. 3: Creation and Fall completely free!

:o(

Order via credit card then delete the card.

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 1895
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 11 2014 9:48 AM

Sean:
Not at all. It is a very reasonable complaint.

I didn't say it wasn't a reasonable complaint. In fact, I think it is a reasonable complaint.

I was pointing out the sort of drive-by attitude with which the complaint was raised, and that as the first post by someone on these forums. The question has been asked at least dozens of times. The standing answers from Logos are out there. If someone wanted an answer, versus just pointing out a problem as if no one had previously raised the issue, he/she could have easily found it.

Donnie

Posts 6498
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 11 2014 9:57 AM

If someone wants the freebie, because it's actually 100% free regardless of the credit card issue, then get it, if not, then don't get it.  It may be a legit complaint, but hey, is not like Logos is the only one with the same process for free stuff.

DAL

Posts 5
Steve Shepherd | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 11 2014 10:14 AM

Thanks for the comment Donnie. You're right. I did not search the forums for this topic. I guess my bad. I really wasn't looking for a discussion. Just wanted to post my comment. I've worked in Christian publishing and marketing for 20+ years and still get frustrated that marketers don't disclose information in their calls-to-action. If something is promoted as FREE, I think telling them that a credit card is required in the CTA is appropriate. 

Posts 5
Steve Shepherd | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 11 2014 10:21 AM

I make no apologies for my drive by attitude Donnie. That is the beauty of the internet. We can connect in seconds with what appeals to us and voice concerns and comments in an instant. Kudos to you for your insane commitment to not just "drive by", but to "pull in" and "park" and stay long enough to make 1,096 posts to this forum. 

Personally, I have commitments elsewhere, but keep up the good work! 

Blessings,

Steve

Posts 3938
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 11 2014 11:48 AM

Steve Shepherd:

I make no apologies for my drive by attitude Donnie. That is the beauty of the internet. We can connect in seconds with what appeals to us and voice concerns and comments in an instant. Kudos to you for your insane commitment to not just "drive by", but to "pull in" and "park" and stay long enough to make 1,096 posts to this forum. 

Blessings,

Steve

That's condescending.

Hey I know mr marketer, lets just run into a room full of strangers, and see if we can employ our silver tongue in an effort to cause umbrage.

Hmm... Maybe his Marketing experience was gained in Bellingham? lol

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 11 2014 12:02 PM

Steve Shepherd:

insane commitment to not just "drive by", but to "pull in" and "park" and stay long enough to make 1,096 posts to this forum. 

One man's commitment is another's ball and chain.  Wink

I don't know where I would be without the helpful posts of those ladies and gents with "insane commitment."

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 5
Steve Shepherd | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 11 2014 12:10 PM
That's condescending. 
Hey I know mr marketer, lets just run into a room full of strangers, and see if we can employ our silver tongue in an effort to cause umbrage. 
Hmm... Maybe his Marketing experience was gained in Bellingham? lol

Talk about condescending, abondservant. I guess I was expecting the Super Users in this forum would be more helpful.

PS. No idea what Bellingham means. 

Posts 1895
Donnie Hale | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Aug 11 2014 12:17 PM

I'm usually the least insightful or discerning person you're likely to meet. But in this case, I think I hit the mark.

On the other hand, Logos could fix this long-standing problem, versus explaining the challenges it presents.

-Donnie

Page 1 of 2 (39 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS