Canadian custom duties on software

Page 1 of 1 (10 items)
This post has 9 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 48
Mac | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Jan 4 2010 5:22 PM

Dear All,

I have been buying from Logos software for years but recently I was charged a hefty custom duties on the software I got from Logos during Christmas. Does any Canadian have similar problem being charged with custom duties on the bible software? Is it a random check and are we supposed to pay duties?

Thanks

Mac

Posts 653
Alex Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 4 2010 6:17 PM

mansonmak:
I have been buying from Logos software for years but recently I was charged a hefty custom duties on the software I got from Logos during Christmas. Does any Canadian have similar problem being charged with custom duties on the bible software? Is it a random check and are we supposed to pay duties?

There is a duty on imported software.  My experience has been that it is not imposed on small items in the mail, or larger items of lesser value, but when the package is assessed at a greater value, enough to make it worth their effort, you will be charged a significant amount.  I have had some of greater value go through OK but you just never know.  They are probably more observant of this over the Christmas periods when there are a lot more items going through.

[Edit: See correction below]

Longtime Logos user (more than $30,000 in purchases) - now a second class user because I won't pay them more every month or year.

Posts 33
Don D. Thompson | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 4 2010 6:18 PM

From what I can tell from the internet and my experience there should be no Excise or Duty on US software imported into Canada.  The GST (5%) and PST apply.  The carrier may charge a brokerage fee. 

Windows 7 Home Premium Version 6.1.7600 Build 7600 (x64)

Acer Aspire 5738G laptop

4G RAM

Intel Core 2 Duo T6600

ATI Mobility Raedeon HD 4570

Posts 653
Alex Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 4 2010 6:32 PM

Don D. Thompson:
From what I can tell from the internet and my experience there should be no Excise or Duty on US software imported into Canada.  The GST (5%) and PST apply.  The carrier may charge a brokerage fee. 

Sorry - you're right Don.  I was thinking of the GST and PST charges.  Same thing applies though, you're apt to get hit if it's assessed at a greater value, and there's just no guessing at what precise level that is.

Longtime Logos user (more than $30,000 in purchases) - now a second class user because I won't pay them more every month or year.

Posts 653
Alex Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Jan 4 2010 6:40 PM

[/quote

mansonmak:
ecently I was charged a hefty custom duties on the software I got from Logos during Christmas.

I think you'll find if you check the form that came with your package that you'll see Value for duty (a $ amount), Duty $0.00, and a $ value under GST and PST.  I just checked on one of my old ones, and the Value was $516.30, Duty $0.00, GST $30.98, and PST $41.30 - a bit of a shock when you're not expecting it, but it is the law as it currently stands.

Posts 48
Mac | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 8:46 PM

Thank you very much for all your replies. That is exactly what I was charged, custom zero dollar , but hefty PST and GST taxes. I guess it is the Christmas vigilance that caught me as I was never charged before even though I have been buying from Logos for a long time

Posts 19351
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 11:22 PM

mansonmak:

Thank you very much for all your replies. That is exactly what I was charged, custom zero dollar , but hefty PST and GST taxes. I guess it is the Christmas vigilance that caught me as I was never charged before even though I have been buying from Logos for a long time

Yeah, I have the same experience. It is sporadic. You don't get charged GST or PST for downloadable products, though, so I usually prefer to do it that way if possible. I just received notice that the Tyndale Commentary set pre-pub is about to ship in a few days, and that's on CD-ROM, though. Bummer. I wonder why they couldn't have done that as a download?

Posts 3752
BillS | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 7 2010 8:15 AM

Rosie Perera:
wonder why they couldn't have done that as a download?

Some nternational customers in similar circumstances who've called Logos have gotten a download... it's worth a try. Smile

Grace & Peace,
Bill

MSI GF63 8RD, I-7 8850H, 32GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2TB HDD, NVIDIA GTX 1050Max
iPhone 12 Pro Max 512Gb
Fire 10HD 64GB 7th Gen

Posts 1669
SteveF | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 7 2010 8:40 AM

I just received notice that the Tyndale Commentary set pre-pub is about to ship in a few days, and that's on CD-ROM, though. Bummer. I wonder why they couldn't have done that as a download?

Rosie, I have often found that if they just send the "Mailer" sleeve, that there is no problem, BUT if it arrives "boxed" LOOK OUT. That's what happened to my Word Commentary software and it cost me quite a bit in GST/PST etc.

Steve F

Regards, SteveF

Posts 19351
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 7 2010 9:34 AM

Stephen Filyer:

I just received notice that the Tyndale Commentary set pre-pub is about to ship in a few days, and that's on CD-ROM, though. Bummer. I wonder why they couldn't have done that as a download?

Rosie, I have often found that if they just send the "Mailer" sleeve, that there is no problem, BUT if it arrives "boxed" LOOK OUT. That's what happened to my Word Commentary software and it cost me quite a bit in GST/PST etc.

Steve F

I will call Logos and see if they can stop the shipment of it if it's going to be a boxed package and just let me download it instead.

Page 1 of 1 (10 items) | RSS