Restoration Movement foiled again!

Page 2 of 2 (31 items) < Previous 1 2
This post has 30 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 23 2014 9:35 AM

Noel Fitzpatrick:
I found it interesting living and working in Japan, because it was a country with a civilization which was different from our Western Judeo-Christian Graeco/Roman one. But modern Japan shares our Western Civilization, as do China and India.

One thing that does not work well in Japan is Americanized Christianity. My parents were missionaries to Japan and I grew up there.

Denise and MJ both have their own unique understandings of the Far East.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 11332
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 23 2014 10:31 AM

I wouldn't limit the problem to 'the east'.  Even north of us a bare 60 miles, Christian missionaries are unable to separate 'Western Civilization' from the gospel.  Native americans can easily 'see through' their arguments ... 'white mans religion'.  

Conversion is simply westernization; little more.  Plus the missionaries literally get nervous, if the gospel isn't presented with the trappings of western civilization, ignoring that early Christianity was quite similar to native beliefs (demons as the source of illness, etc).

I clearly remember the day, when I appeared at one of the missionary HQs wanting to purchase a Navajo Bible.  The suspicion was palpable.

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 1085
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 23 2014 11:20 AM

I would also suggest adding the books by Everett Ferguson and, though this probably goes without saying, the Encyclopedia of the Stone-Campbell Movement.

Posts 1085
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 23 2014 11:24 AM

Also, while I don't think Logos has much from them, two other publishing houses associated with the Restoration Movement are:

• Gospel Advocate
  • 21st Century Christian
Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 23 2014 11:44 AM

EastTN:
and, though this probably goes without saying, the Encyclopedia of the Stone-Campbell Movement.

Already have  The Encyclopedia of the Stone-Campbell Movement  .

Posts 1085
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 23 2014 12:01 PM

Super.Tramp:

EastTN:
and, though this probably goes without saying, the Encyclopedia of the Stone-Campbell Movement.

Already have  The Encyclopedia of the Stone-Campbell Movement  .

Then I guess I should have gone without saying it!  Stick out tongue Seriously though, I apologize - I didn't see that it was already tagged.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 23 2014 12:09 PM

EastTN:
Then I guess I should have gone without saying it!  Stick out tongue Seriously though, I apologize - I didn't see that it was already tagged.

No worries. It happens to all of us. It is not easy to keep up with everything.

Posts 30237
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 23 2014 12:23 PM

Denise:
I'm not sure about Catholics

This is great to take out of contextWink But the answer is that our parish often has a parish council with no members living within the parish boundaries. In the past parish-hopping was discouraged much as the Orthodox discourage bishop-hopping.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 30237
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 23 2014 12:26 PM

alabama24:
It's in his signature line: gabe.martini (at) logos (dot) com

duh Embarrassed

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 139
Noel Fitzpatrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 23 2014 1:31 PM

Denise,

Don’t tell anyone, but I am on the parish council of http://www.newtownparkparish.com/ , and I do not live within the parish boundaries, but I used to. 

Being free to attend different parishes (parish-hopping) is healthy, keeps people on their toes,  

Posts 30237
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 23 2014 1:37 PM

Noel Fitzpatrick:
Being free to attend different parishes (parish-hopping) is healthy, keeps people on their toes,  

It also allows for parishes to "specialize" in accommodating different types of disabilities/differences. For example, we had a pastor who was particularly good at handling young people who were developmentally delayed which was a real draw across the city.

Page 2 of 2 (31 items) < Previous 1 2 | RSS