Baptist Silver Worse Deal Ever!

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 27 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 7426
DAL | Forum Activity | Posted: Sat, Aug 23 2014 6:20 PM

Is it just me or is the Baptist Silver BP the worse deal ever! Look at the commentaries it includes - only three super basic commentaries! (They could've at least included the commentaries all the way to Maclaren which are included in Gold and then leave the rest for Gold and up):

1) Cecil Sherman Formations Commentary (5 vols.) 2) The Person and Work of Christ in Hebrews: A Christological Commentary 3) The Teacher’s Bible Commentary And here I was thinking that Lutheran Silver was the worse deal.  I take that back, Baptist Silver is the worse deal.  Look at all the volumes included in Baptist Gold (not the best, but better value for those who don't own any of the commentaries):
1) Bible Lessons International: Old Testament (10 vols.) 2) Cecil Sherman Formations Commentary (5 vols.) 3) Commentary on the Epistle of James 4) Commentary on the Epistle to the Galatians 5) Commentary on the Epistle to the Philippians 6) Commentary on the Epistles to the Corinthians 7) Commentary on the Epistles to the Thessalonians 8) Commentary on the Gospel of Luke 9) Commentary on the Gospel of Mark 10) Expositions of Holy Scripture (33 vols.) 11) Gleams from Paul’s Prison; or, Studies for the Daily Life in the Epistle to the Philippians 12) John Darby's Synopsis of the Books of the Bible (5 vols.) 13) Practical and Social Aspects of Christianity: The Wisdom of James 14) Preacher’s Homiletic Commentary (38 vols.) 15) Randall House Bible Commentary (9 vols.) 16) Studies in Mark’s Gospel 17) The Book of Leviticus 18) The Book of Proverbs 19) The Gospel of Luke 20) The Person and Work of Christ in Hebrews: A Christological Commentary 21) The Teacher’s Bible Commentary 22) Warren Wiersbe’s Old Testament “Be” Series (27 vols.) I hope they don't mess it up when and if they decide to put together a Restoration Movement Package in the future.  And definitely, I sure hope when Logos 6 of each package comes out they fix this, because it's definitely the worse deal ever (in my opinion). DAL
Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 23 2014 6:25 PM

DAL:
Is it just me

It is just you.    Why must Silver have a lot? If you want what is in Gold, Platinum, or Diamond......pay more and get it.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 29411
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 23 2014 7:09 PM

DAL:
Is it just me or is the Baptist Silver BP the worse deal ever!

Yes, it's just you ... and others who value the offered resources at the same value (or less) to themselves. One thing CP has taught me - my gold is another's fool's gold (and vice versa).

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 7426
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 23 2014 7:11 PM

Super.Tramp:

DAL:
Is it just me

It is just you.    Why must Silver have a lot? If you want what is in Gold, Platinum, or Diamond......pay more and get it.

I expect Silver to have more because that's been the pattern all along with the exception of Lutheran Silver.  If the price starts going up and the name changes from Bronze to "Silver" it logically follows that the content should be more or at least better quality.  The Teacher's Commentary and 2 more volumes is not worthy of Silver - 3 commentaries (or even more) is something you get in a Starter Package not Silver with the money they're charging for it.  But of course, with your sarcastic answer I don't expect you to understand that as you're obviously not seeing the point; and honestly, I couldn't careless if  you ever saw the point or not, as you have the tendency of being sarcastic even when people post legitimate observations.  When they fix the content of the packages, then maybe I'll upgrade to the Baptist family packages, but for now, the quality is not there and Gold, even with dynamic pricing (which I wonder if it's functioning correctly) is too expensive to justify upgrading to it.

In fact, I even received an email from a sales rep telling me "He had checked" the price on one of the bundles I had inquired about and he said the price I saw online was not the right one.  He had found out that I could get an even deeper discount, but I needed to give him a call.  So makes you wonder if what you pay is actually fair and accurate in some of the upgrades. Roll Eyes

Anyway, thanks for your usual sarcasm - don't lose it, I actually enjoy it and it makes me laugh...Big Smile

DAL

Posts 1206
Ward Walker | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 23 2014 7:23 PM

Yeah, that Baptist deal is all wet

Posts 230
Claybon Collins Jr | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 23 2014 7:26 PM

I got a pretty good deal on Baptist Gold.  359 books for $0.98 a book.  I believe if I hadn't waited a day I would have gotten a better deal.Cool

Posts 461
Robert Harner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 23 2014 7:31 PM

Ward Walker:

Yeah, that Baptist deal is all wet

Big Smile 

The Baptist Diamond was an excellent package. I was really pleased.

So much I went out and celebrated at Dunkin' Donuts

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 23 2014 7:38 PM

DAL:
Anyway, thanks for your usual sarcasm - don't lose it, I actually enjoy it and it makes me laugh...Big Smile

Glad I can make you smile, Brother.

Posts 7426
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 23 2014 7:58 PM

I was checking Gold Reformed and I think they have removed Martyn Lloyd-Jones Collection.  That's another turn off.  Why remove stuff and not tell us anything and continue to charge the same?

Posts 29411
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Aug 23 2014 8:49 PM

DAL:

I was checking Gold Reformed and I think they have removed Martyn Lloyd-Jones Collection.  That's another turn off.  Why remove stuff and not tell us anything and continue to charge the same?

Because they are Logos and human and therefore make errors. There were several missteps on the Lutheran and Anglican packages but Logos always came through and did the right thing. Remember that on the packages, the price is the given - packages at the same level across all denominations share a price. It is the content they must muck with to give everyone a fair deal.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 945
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 24 2014 10:28 AM

FWIW,

I thought that all of the Baptist basepackages did not offer much content for the value.  I do however already have the Baptist bundle and several other books I have purchased over the years.  If were just starting out with Logos I would probably still not purchase one.  I would probably opt for the Reformed BP.  So guess its not just you.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 24 2014 12:47 PM

Everett Headley:
So guess its not just you.

It is just you (plural). Smile

Posts 7426
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 24 2014 1:48 PM

Super.Tramp:

Everett Headley:
So guess its not just you.

It is just you (plural). Smile

Alright G! I mean Ye!

Posts 796
LogosEmployee
Gabe Martini (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 24 2014 2:52 PM

Are you viewing "New to You" instead of "All" on the comparison chart?

There are seven biblical commentaries included in Baptist Silver, including both the NAC and the Holman New Testament Commentary sets.

Product Department Manager
Faithlife

Posts 796
LogosEmployee
Gabe Martini (Faithlife) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 24 2014 3:01 PM

Everett Headley:

FWIW,

I thought that all of the Baptist basepackages did not offer much content for the value.

Baptist Silver has $1,800+ more in print value than L5 Silver. You may already own a number of these titles due to other purchases or owning a regular L5 base package.

Everyone is different, and if one is not just starting with Logos, and working in Baptist ministry, these may not be the right package for you. In fact, these are designed specifically for that purpose. But with all of the content from publishers like Broadman & Holman (e.g. check the Marriage & Family category, unique to the Baptist track, as well as the Baptist History category, also unique), these are an incredible value for those who are in the market for them.

Product Department Manager
Faithlife

Posts 550
David P. Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 24 2014 5:15 PM

Gabe Martini:
But with all of the content from publishers like Broadman & Holman (e.g. check the Marriage & Family category

Am I missing something, or is this set missing from Baptist Diamond noW? I hink I saw this on and another B&H set in Baptist Diamond the other day.

Posts 29411
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 24 2014 5:25 PM

Note this is NOT the complete list for the Baptist Diamond but it illustrates that everything at a lower level of Family & Marriage is included at a higher level.

David - I'm not quite sure what set you mean by "this set" so I don't know if this answers your question.

Posts 2461
mab | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 24 2014 6:24 PM

I'd be curious about how many people who have actually bought such a package decided it wasn't worth it and called Logos for a refund.

The mind of man is the mill of God, not to grind chaff, but wheat. Thomas Manton | Study hard, for the well is deep, and our brains are shallow. Richard Baxter

Posts 550
David P. Moore | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 24 2014 6:29 PM

MJ. Smith:
Note this is NOT the complete list for the Baptist Diamond but it illustrates that everything at a lower level of Family & Marriage is included at a higher level.

Thanks, MJ, I see now, they list each book in the B&H Marriage and Family Collection, not the whole collection. I thought I saw it the other way arund the other day. My mistake. 

I'm on the fence as whether to gt this as I already have a large library and really no need to add more at the moment.

Posts 461
Robert Harner | Forum Activity | Replied: Sun, Aug 24 2014 6:36 PM

mab:

I'd be curious about how many people who have actually bought such a package decided it wasn't worth it and called Logos for a refund.

I bought the Baptist Diamond. I have every major base package and the Baptist Bundle. I am extremely pleased with BD - Excellent purchase. Some of the books were on my informal want list and others I hadn't heard of or didn't know they were in Logos that should have been on the want list. The only issue is my wallet told me it hoped there is not another base package this year.

Page 1 of 2 (28 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS