Search Help - Priestly Roles During Battles

Page 1 of 1 (6 items)
This post has 5 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 57
William | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Aug 25 2014 3:11 PM

I wonder if someone could give me some search advice.  I am writing a paper on the history of Chaplaincy from 27 BC–1600 AD and I want to do a search in Logos that would retrieve information about priests or clergy accompanying armies or military forces doing those eras.  I don't want the resources to be directly from the bible but can be a book that references scriptures.  None of my searches seem to narrow down what I want.  Any ideas for syntax would be appreciated.

Bill

Posts 27258
Forum MVP
Dave Hooton | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 26 2014 12:05 AM

Try a Basic Search on (priests, chaplain) WITHIN 4 WORDS (army, military) with 'Match all word forms' ticked in the menu.

You could narrow the results by searching a collection of monographs (type:monograph), but you would have to determine the era from the context.

Note that comma separated terms in brackets can be extended as they form a list with an implied OR.

Dave
===

Windows 11 & Android 8

Posts 57
William | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 26 2014 8:27 AM

Dave, That search definitely worked better than mine.  I'll continue to tweak that.  Thanks for your help, it's greatly appreciated.

Bill

Posts 3703
Milkman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 26 2014 4:25 PM

I'd like to see your paper after it's all said and done. Sounds like a great study. Good luck.

William:

I wonder if someone could give me some search advice.  I am writing a paper on the history of Chaplaincy from 27 BC–1600 AD and I want to do a search in Logos that would retrieve information about priests or clergy accompanying armies or military forces doing those eras.  I don't want the resources to be directly from the bible but can be a book that references scriptures.  None of my searches seem to narrow down what I want.  Any ideas for syntax would be appreciated.

Bill

mm.

Posts 11433
DMB | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 27 2014 7:23 AM

Probably not of interest to you along the lines of a military chaplain, but there's far more information on priests BEFORE battles (and indeed in the OT).  Alexander the Great had to have been the most notable user of priestly services to insure success.  Priests were absolutely critical (this was before military academies).

"God will save his fallen angels and their broken wings He'll mend."

Posts 57
William | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 27 2014 2:15 PM

Thanks for the help everyone, I am my farther in my research now due to the advice :)

Page 1 of 1 (6 items) | RSS