I continue to think the Mobile Ed videos are too expensive for most and are too exclusive

Page 1 of 2 (31 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 30 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 499
SteveHD | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Aug 26 2014 7:13 AM

I question their value at these high pre-pub prices as well. Was thinking very seriously about the new Gospel package. $1200.00 works out to about $130.00 per course (despite totals hours per course). It is half what most other single courses are in pre-pub. Then I saw a post about the Evangelical Exegetical Commentary (EEC) at a pre-pub price of $1000.00. 44 volumes. 6 years or so in development.

If I am going to spend a precious sum like $1000 dollars it would be something like the EEC which, while on its own appear too expensive to me, becomes a bargain in comparison the Mobile Ed courses. Think about the ones where we have 3 or 4 courses of maybe 5 - 10 hours each costing the same as the EEC set.

I have said it before on this topic. Unless there is a direct tie to College accreditation these courses are too expensive with the potential unintended result of only being available to a small few.

Keep in mind that when left up to the buyers (community pricing) the cost per buyer, and therefore the price, can be much lower. I do have that one on order and if most were that price I would probably own all of them. At $50.00 per course I could buy 20 of them for the price of the EEC set. Hummmm, I think I would still buy the EEC.

For now I have to rely on the free intunesU 30 hour mp3 courses like NT133: Biblical Theology Dr. Gregory Beale.

Posts 5315
DIsciple II | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 26 2014 8:52 AM

Yes I have to agree.  The free iTunes courses are better value than m.Ed.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 26 2014 9:28 AM

SHotchkiss:
Evangelical Exegetical Commentary (EEC) at a pre-pub price of $1000.00

I think the EEC Pre-Pub price was &700. I may be wrong.

SHotchkiss:
I have said it before on this topic. Unless there is a direct tie to College accreditation these courses are too expensive with the potential unintended result of only being available to a small few

Logos likes to compare the mEd courses to seminary level courses. I do not wish to contest that but I would like to point out the seminary does not require the student to enrol in all 44 courses at once. We must do this to get the best price, and that is simply unaffordable.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 10877
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 26 2014 9:47 AM

I wonder how many people go to seminary / Bible College to listen to professors?  I can barely stay awake with the Ehrman videos (no offense to Bart, of course).

I know here in Sedona, the college system has an outpost here for seniors.  It's going broke.  Plus, I've never heard of a pastor innnocently bragging that he sat at the feet of all the best seminary professors.  Usually he just tosses out the Seminary abbreviation, not to be too obvious.

The Apostle Paul sat at the feet of Gamaliel, which apparently had its 'repeating' value.  He couldn't replay one of the key quotes over and over, or carefully examine the look on Gamaliel's face in the video.  Plus Paul probably had to stay awake. His parents likely footed the bill, to avoid a student loan.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 1216
Matt Hamrick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 26 2014 10:16 AM

Denise:
I wonder how many people go to seminary / Bible College to listen to professors?

Denise, I can think of several professors that I would take their class just because of who is teaching it. A prime example is one summer Dr. Mohler (SBTS, President) taught a theology class between my spring and fall semesters. I jumped at the chance to take his class just because it was Dr. Mohler. There are many others I would take just because of who they are. Staying awake is simply a personal discipline.

Posts 10877
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 26 2014 10:25 AM

Well, among the literal hundreds of pastors/preachers I've met over the years, you'd be a first (I assume you're a student).  I included pastors / preachers, since I'd hate to even query the ones that don't get paid for it.   And catching some sleep is also a personal discipline. In Japan, it's almost a lost art.

Posts 1129
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 26 2014 10:33 AM

As long as there are people who do not think the Mobile Ed videos are too expensive those of us who do will have to do without. I am very disappointed that the courses released after the Community Pricing experiment are all closing in on 100%. I was hoping that once people saw the potential of Community Pricing they would stop participating in Pre-pubs and Logos would be forced to move all current and future mEd courses to Community Pricing as they did with the Lexham bible guides. Lets hope and pray they all stall out before reaching 100%.

Posts 3942
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 26 2014 10:50 AM

Matt Hamrick:

Denise:
I wonder how many people go to seminary / Bible College to listen to professors?

Denise, I can think of several professors that I would take their class just because of who is teaching it. A prime example is one summer Dr. Mohler (SBTS, President) taught a theology class between my spring and fall semesters. I jumped at the chance to take his class just because it was Dr. Mohler. There are many others I would take just because of who they are. Staying awake is simply a personal discipline.

Yeah I would have jumped at that too. Southeastern's President Danny Akin has a hermeneutics class thats phenomenal. He was the only prof to teach hermeneutics here for a while, but he's been having to farm that out a bit. Still its available the schools website as a MOOC. I think the lectures are on iTunes as well.

I am in two classes this semester as well because I knew of and respected the prof prior to coming to the school. It doesn't matter much as a pastor, the school matters. Having a SBC school degree is what matters to local SBC churches... But it may matter in finding a PhD program. Academics seem to care about such things. "oh, you studied under so and so. I have his book and like it" is a conversation I've had a few times recently in that regard.

This mobile ed title intrigues me, and while still expensive at 90$ the cost is closer to the one from cp, which I am also in on.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 26 2014 11:15 AM

Keith Larson:
As long as there are people who do not think the Mobile Ed videos are too expensive those of us who do will have to do without. I am very disappointed that the courses released after the Community Pricing experiment are all closing in on 100%

I may be all wet but my conspiratorial mindset leads me to believe that Logos is driving these Pre-Pubs to 100% because they intend to produce them, no matter what the support. I seriously doubt that all the mEd Pre-Pubs are being supported by buyers with such vigour. 

Posts 10877
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 26 2014 11:19 AM

Even if Logos isn't playing with the numbers,  I'm all for high-priced pre-pub videos.  Anything that will subsidize my Logos experience is A-OK with me.  Granted, I'd be sobbing crocidile tears if I was a video-afficionado, but in this case, no crocs for that.

Posts 1129
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 26 2014 11:59 AM

Super.Tramp:

Keith Larson:
As long as there are people who do not think the Mobile Ed videos are too expensive those of us who do will have to do without. I am very disappointed that the courses released after the Community Pricing experiment are all closing in on 100%

I may be all wet but my conspiratorial mindset leads me to believe that Logos is driving these Pre-Pubs to 100% because they intend to produce them, no matter what the support. I seriously doubt that all the mEd Pre-Pubs are being supported by buyers with such vigour. 

I have to admit I was wondering the same thing, but if this is the case, unto what end? We are talking about the Pre-pub price being too expense, but just think about the price of these courses when they are no longer discounted 40%! I can't imagine many people purchasing these are "regular" price.

What I can imagine is that as time goes on these courses will show up discounted more than 40% in some bundle or special sale. Just look at the Lexham Bible Guides. Less than a month ago they were offering it at a "special" price of $100 off. Now they are in the Baptist Gold at a fraction of the original cost. I have deleted almost all my Pre-pubs, what was the the point? I was just financing someone else's great deal!

Posts 704
ChelseaFC | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 26 2014 12:10 PM

Super.Tramp:

SHotchkiss:
Evangelical Exegetical Commentary (EEC) at a pre-pub price of $1000.00

I think the EEC Pre-Pub price was &700. I may be wrong.

I think it was around there...It was recently on sale again for this amount as well.

Chelsea FC- Today is a good day!

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 26 2014 12:55 PM

Denise:
Granted, I'd be sobbing crocidile tears if I was a video-afficionado, but in this case, no crocs for that.

Crying I am wailing! Crying

I bought the  Logos Mobile Education: Bible and Doctrine Foundations Bundle (9 courses) for the Pre-Pub price. I am now watching the other mEd courses slip away into the unobtainable realm.  No subsidizing here.      Just wailing. Crying

Posts 894
Brother Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 26 2014 1:29 PM

The business model for the M.Ed courseware is interesting.  Logos has obviously seriously considered the quality of the material, the speakers, the production costs, and all the other factors; then contrasted the M.Ed. value against quality seminary offerings, and out popped a cost per customer.  That model is a money machine if the customer base (1) perceives the value and (2) can budget for it.

An alternate model is to expand the customer base by reducing the cost per module to something within the reach of multiple thousands of Logos users.  Why aim to sell one widget that costs a million dollars rather than sell a million one dollar widgets?

"I read dead people..."

Posts 406
Paul C | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 26 2014 2:35 PM

I too bought Witherington. $41 is an acceptable luxury. The $300 full price would not have been. (for me)   Some cost  even more. It's just not my game. All the best to those who choose and can afford that route. Big Smile

Posts 3942
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 26 2014 2:44 PM

Brother Mark - I think it depends on the cost of the widget.

a million one dollar widgets that are break even, don't make a profit.

One, one million dollar widget with a 999,998.9$ profit margin is the better business investment.

L2 lvl4, L3 Scholars, L4 Scholars, L5 Platinum,  L6 Collectors. L7 Baptist Portfolio. L8 Baptist Platinum.

Posts 176
Rob | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 26 2014 3:35 PM

I'm very happy with Walton's OT genre course.

Many of the others are so pricey I find it hard to justify the purchase.

And they still haven't included a recommended reading list for the recourses that go with each of them. - that's an additional cost that can't be calculated until after we have the product.

Posts 499
SteveHD | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 26 2014 6:57 PM

I would like to see Logos move Mobile Education: Studies in the Gospels Bundle (9 courses) to community pricing. Let us see how low we can make it go. I know that I would place my bid of $500 for that. Maybe we could get it down to $400. Then again maybe not.
I woul

Posts 225
Alex Bui | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 26 2014 7:30 PM

SHotchkiss:

I would like to see Logos move Mobile Education: Studies in the Gospels Bundle (9 courses) to community pricing. 

Yes Yes, put all of them through CP : )

I doubt that we will get a low price like the last successfully Witherington III’s CP course.  But if Logos continues to put more Mobile Ed courses on CP, there will be more people participate than the current PP offerings.  We get lower price; Logos gets more participants to share the costs.  It is a win-win situation.  I am more willing to continue to participate if the price is lower than the current PP pricing.

Posts 1880
mike | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Aug 26 2014 8:00 PM

you heard the demand Logos, now its your move Bob.

Page 1 of 2 (31 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS