Logos only lets your transfer book Licenses once???

Page 3 of 17 (327 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last »
This post has 326 Replies | 5 Followers

Posts 5301
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 27 2014 6:28 PM

alabama24:
For clarification: I never meant to imply that she did. And yes, MJ is special. SmileMaybe ST too. Smile

Everyone being a unique creation and one that Jesus died for is special.  Smile

-Dan

Posts 29611
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 27 2014 6:32 PM

Super.Tramp:
If my library dies with me, it constitutes a very expensive lease.

Look at it this way - it's like copyright - yourself and one additional generationSurprise

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 408
Erik | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 27 2014 6:32 PM

abondservant:

Erik:

abondservant:

If you die, and your wife has not yet - she can leave the credit card on there and purchase titles.

That would work if my credit card companies continue to issue replacement cards once they eventually expire and also if the credit card company has no issues with someone impersonating me postmortem. I'm not trying to be flippant, but somehow I don't think they'll do or allow that.

I also presume that Logos wants a credit card from the owner of the account in order to process a payment.  The risk of fraud would be too great otherwise IMHO.

You can change the name on the account. But hey, if you're looking for an excuse, any will do.

Even if Logos were to get rid of this functionality, she could call in with the death certificate and proof she was your wife and gain ownership of the account - the same way she'll do with your bank accounts. I digress.

That would still constitute a transfer under the EULA as I read it...we are then back to square one.  In any event, I'd prefer not to resort to shenanigans like changing names and passwords to game the system, unless Logos expressly says a spouse or direct heir can do this.

I will take Bob's word for it for now that they will do the right thing, but ambiguity still abounds.  The problem as I see it is that Logos is trying to balance their corporate needs with the needs of their licensees....which are not always in alignment on the licensing front.  I get it and appreciate as always Bob chiming in...I'm sure he gets tired of this discussion.  But when sales makes a broad sweeping pronouncement like they did in this instance, it is bound to fan the flames of concern among the Logos denizens.

Posts 9293
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 27 2014 6:44 PM

Super.Tramp:

Threads like this make me miss Milford Charles Murray. Sad

**smile**             **peace**           **be still**

Yes

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 4069
abondservant | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 27 2014 6:51 PM

Super.Tramp:

Threads like this make me miss Milford Charles Murray. Sad

**smile**             **peace**           **be still**

Yes

L2 lvl4 (...) L8 Platinum, WORDsearch

Posts 18
David Dobbs | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 27 2014 7:57 PM

Well, to give you all an update.  Once this blog started rolling really good, a logos representative called me wanting to resolve the problem.  But now the problem is no longer that I simply need books transferred to my wife’s account but I am now more concerned about the value of my overall books.  I recently paid $330 dollars for the New International Greek Commentary set License and $150 for a Boice commentary set License but now I find out today that these licenses can never be transferred again apart from me transferring my entire library.  This I think is wrong and I don't think I will be spending this kind of money any more if these license are locked as they are. 

Posts 2588
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 27 2014 8:07 PM

David Dobbs:

I recently paid $330 dollars for the New International Greek Commentary set License and $150 for a Boice commentary set License but now I find out today that these licenses can never be transferred again apart from me transferring my entire library.

It's always been the case that if you buy resources in "chunks" (bundle/base package/collection), you have to transfer them in chunks. This is quite understandable.

Posts 29611
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 27 2014 8:12 PM

David Dobbs:
but now I find out today that these licenses can never be transferred again apart from me transferring my entire library

It was my understanding that you can transfer in the same units that you bought with some quirks for overlapping resources. I wonder if Logos has had to tighten up a bit ... from what was floating around in the forums I was suspicious they might.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2588
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 27 2014 8:18 PM

If every transfer had to be of one's entire library, that would represent for me an extreme diminution of utility and, consequently, value.

Posts 1460
Wild Eagle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 27 2014 8:28 PM

Is there any point to buy "used" books

"No man is greater than his prayer life. The pastor who is not praying is playing; the people who are not praying are straying." Leonard Ravenhill 

Posts 18
David Dobbs | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 27 2014 8:28 PM

No, that is not the case here. I purchased these commentary sets off eBay.  Therefore each license set has now been transferred once and cannot be transferred again.  I cannot transfer these sets to anyone else apart from transferring my entire library.   

Posts 18
David Dobbs | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 27 2014 8:32 PM

I have never wanted to sell any of my logos books and I probably never will but it bugs me that (for many of my books) I never can...

Posts 28560
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 27 2014 8:33 PM

David Dobbs:
This I think is wrong and I don't think I will be spending this kind of money any more if these license are locked as they are. 

I understand that you are upset... but I don't know of ANY other company where you can transfer resource licenses. Am I mistaken? 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 2588
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 27 2014 8:34 PM

@D.D.:

Probably someone at Logos has exercised particular discretion in this specific case. You can take it up with the Logos representative then.

Posts 5301
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 27 2014 9:06 PM

alabama24:
I understand that you are upset... but I don't know of ANY other company where you can transfer resource licenses. Am I mistaken? 

Accordance can for sure but I believe Olivetree or Wordsearch allowed it too but don't remember which one it was.

-Dan

Posts 18
David Dobbs | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 27 2014 9:07 PM

Your probably right.  I guess I just hopped logos was going to be different.  I don't mind kindle locking my wife's book license because she is not spending a lot of money on her books but I have spent tons of money on my commentaries. I am just not certain anymore that I want to spend lots of money on books that will always be locked into my library like this.  

Posts 28560
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 27 2014 9:21 PM

Dan Francis:

alabama24:

Accordance can for sure but I believe Olivetree or Wordsearch allowed it too but don't remember which one it was.

-Dan

Interesting. Thanks Dan. I know that you can't do that with Kindle, iTunes, Nook, etc. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 18
David Dobbs | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 27 2014 9:37 PM

But one thing is for sure, Logos needs to be more transparent about changes like this.  I feel like this was sneaked under the table on us all and I don't like how it was done.  And I still think the policy is wrong and should be changed.  Oh Well, I am sure I will feel better in the morning.  I am done ranting now.  Goodnight all!

Posts 1084
Tom Reynolds | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 27 2014 9:40 PM

I've always bought Logos books instead of K, etc. because they usually treat you like someone who bought a book. i.e. you can cut and paste text into your papers and sell your books to others if you choose. As mentioned, people have spent a lot of money so they can pass their books onto their children or someone else.

I don't see how people are still able to game the system with a $20 transfer fee to such an extent that Logos feels the need to take away our previously held rights. Bob's explanation doesn't really fit the stated case. e.g. No one is going to buy a book and then spend $20 per time passing it around to each member of a class. Also he's made it clear that Logos doesn't want to make it easy to transfer resources because they want to sell new copies to new people. What he's forgetting is that people are buying things they wouldn't otherwise expressly because it is possible to resell them later. Which policy results in more sales in the long run is something that time will tell, I guess.

Posts 2844
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 27 2014 9:43 PM

I suppose this means you may leave your library to your son in your will, but he cannot leave will it to his son.

This is disappointing.  And it is disappointing that to find this out in this way.  Not many of us had a clue this was true.

Very bad form by Logos.  Worse than they think.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Page 3 of 17 (327 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS