Forum posting question

Page 1 of 1 (9 items)
This post has 8 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 97
Earl Sheneman | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Sep 1 2014 8:46 PM

I am trying to learn how to reply to a specific post and quote a part of that specific post in my reply. As far as I know I am following the directions in the WIKI but no matter what I do I end up quoting the whole specific post not just what I highlight with the mouse.

• Use your mouse to select the text in the poster’s reply that you want to insert into your reply.
  • Click in the body of your reply where you want the quoted text pasted.
  • Click on Quote.
  • The editor will insert the quoted text.

I follow the above steps from the WIKI but it doesn't matter what I select with the mouse, the whole post goes into the body of my reply. How do I get just what I have selected with the mouse into the body of my reply?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Posts 1083
Lee | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 1 2014 8:50 PM

Hi Earl

Earl Sheneman | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Sep 2 2014 10:46 AM

I am trying to learn how to reply to a specific post and quote a part of that specific post in my reply. As far as I know I am following the directions in the WIKI but no matter what I do I end up quoting the whole specific post not just what I highlight with the mouse.

• Use your mouse to select the text in the poster’s reply that you want to insert into your reply.
  • Click in the body of your reply where you want the quoted text pasted.
  • Click on Quote.

I follow the above steps from the WIKI but it doesn't matter what I select with the mouse, the whole post goes into the body of my reply. How do I get just what I have selected with the mouse into the body of my reply?

try this way, i just clicked the repay on the right side of your name for this post.

L4 Bible Study, L5 Reformed Bronze, & L5 Gold, L6 Platinum & Reformed Platinum, L7 Platinum, L8 Baptist Platinum.
2015 rMBP 15" 2.2GHz 16GB 256GB SSD, running macOS Mojave   iPad Mini 4,   iPhone 6.

Posts 5285
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 1 2014 8:56 PM

Lee Garrison:

try this way, i just clicked the repay on the right side of your name for this post.

When the reply window comes up (assuming you pushed the reply button and not the quick reply  link at the bottom. You simple select what you want and click the quote link.

So you end up with this.

-dan

Posts 97
Earl Sheneman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 1 2014 8:57 PM

Lee the WIKI indicates that I can select certain parts of the text with the mouse to go into the body of my message. That is what I am not able to do or am I misunderstanding what I am seeing in the WIKI.

Posts 97
Earl Sheneman | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 1 2014 9:01 PM

Dan I am using the reply button to the right of my name. It doesn't matter what I select with the mouse, the whole quote goes into the body of my message.

Posts 22749
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 1 2014 11:23 PM

Earl Sheneman:
It doesn't matter what I select with the mouse, the whole quote goes into the body of my message.

What platform are you trying to do this on?

I get the behaviour you are describing when on my iPad but I can select portions of text and quote them when on Windows

Posts 10659
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 2 2014 1:35 AM

Earl Sheneman:

• Click in the body of your reply where you want the quoted text pasted.
  • Click on Quote.

Earl, for quite some time now, this is browser-dependent. What you cited works 100% in Google Chrome (on my Win 7 32bit PC), however, what you describe is how it works in IE 9 (also on Win 7 32bit PC). The workaround is deleting text from the full quote afterwards.

Running Logos 8 latest beta version on Win 10

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 2 2014 8:52 AM

After I click the Quote button I just go in and delete the text I do not want between the "quote user=" and "/quote" leaving the part of the post I wish to respond.  That may be the hard way .. just the way I found useful.  Example below.

Earl Sheneman:

I am trying to learn how to reply to a specific post and quote a part of that specific post in my reply.

Posts 97
Earl Sheneman | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 2 2014 10:24 AM

OK I think the last three posts here answered the question. I am using Win 7 on my desktop and Logos 5. IE 11 for the browser. So apparently what is described in the WIKI does not work for my platform and configuration. That is fine - answers the question anyway. I will just do as Steve recommends and that should work. Thanks guys.

Page 1 of 1 (9 items) | RSS