Collection rules for sorting commentaries (updated for Logos 9 Libraries)

Page 7 of 16 (316 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > ... Last »
This post has 315 Replies | 41 Followers

Posts 1413
Myke Harbuck | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 9 2017 5:46 PM

Beloved:

Mattillo:
Any thoughts on where one should put Courson's Application commentaries?

Others will question, but I classified this work as a "commentarydevotional." I am open to criticism here, but my opinion is that it fits best in your studies as a work of devotion with a goal towards application.

Can't see how anyone would question you, as you are absolutely correct. Devotional, towards application. Yes

Myke Harbuck
Lead Pastor, www.ByronCity.Church
Adjunct Professor, Georgia Military College

Posts 2895
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Aug 9 2017 6:35 PM

Thanks, Myke! Smile

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

MacBook Pro macOS Big Sur 11.2.3

Posts 4468
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Aug 10 2017 2:17 AM

John Brumett:

Mattillo:
Any thoughts on where one should put Courson's Application commentaries? 

His commentaries would be devotional.  He is also dispensational. 

Thank you all. I don't have an application commentary collection. Besides Courson, what other commentaries would you put in that group. I noticed there is no application/devotional collection in this thread

Posts 13415
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 18 2017 7:51 AM

I've updated the collection rules on the first page to add the following:

And to rename the following to reflect updated metadata:

Posts 514
John Duffy | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Dec 18 2017 9:04 AM

Hi Mark, thanks again for updating those. 

Just a note, I could not get some of them to work when I first used them, until I changed the last part of some of the lists from 

... -series:"The Church Pulpit Commentary"

to

... ANDNOT series:"The Church Pulpit Commentary"

I'm not sure why, I tried both the numeric - and the normal keyboard - (beside the =), but neither worked. 

Just mentioning this in case it helps others.

Posts 468
Jordan Litchfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 19 2017 3:51 AM

Mark Barnes:

Historical Commentaries (Antiquity)

type:bible-commentary (series:("A Library of Fathers of the Holy Catholic Church", "Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture", "Cyril of Alexandria’s Commentary on John", "Early Church Fathers", "The Church’s Bible", "The Fathers of the Church") OR mytag:commentary-antiquity)

Mark, for some reason I noticed that five commentaries by Origen in "The Fathers of the Church" series are failing to appear in this collection even though I've used the rule above. I have also tagged those with "commentary-antiquity", but still no success. Obviously, I could just drag them there, but don't see why the above rule isn't working. Some other books from the series, i.e., Jerome, Augustine and Chrysostom (I don't have the entire series yet) are showing up, but not Origen. After doing a search for the series in my library, I have noticed that a commentary by Hilary of Poitiers also isn't appearing.

Any thoughts?

Posts 13415
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 19 2017 4:24 AM

Jordan Litchfield:
Mark, for some reason I noticed that five commentaries by Origen in "The Fathers of the Church" series are failing to appear in this collection even though I've used the rule above. I have also tagged those with "commentary-antiquity", but still no success.

Short answer: Logos has them as type=monograph, rather than type=bible-commentary.

Long answer: Most of these missing books are not really commentaries. For example, were Origen's Commentary on the Gospel according to John published today, we would probably call it "A theology of John", rather than a commentary on John.

That's less true with his commentary on Romans, but even there he doesn't refer to specific chapters and verse numbers as he works through the text (even though he is actually working through the text verse-by-verse). I think you could make a case that Logos should include verse milestones, and update the metadata to a commentary for Romans. Perhaps it would be helpful to start a new thread, requesting that they do so for that and any similar volumes. If they do so, it would then appear in the collection (and in the commentaries section of the passage guide).

Posts 468
Jordan Litchfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 19 2017 10:52 PM

Mark Barnes:
Long answer: Most of these missing books are not really commentaries. For example, were Origen's Commentary on the Gospel according to John published today, we would probably call it "A theology of John", rather than a commentary on John.

Thanks, that's a fair point.

Posts 468
Jordan Litchfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 19 2017 10:55 PM

Mark Barnes:
Short answer: Logos has them as type=monograph, rather than type=bible-commentary.

Meant to ask why the collection didn't include those books when I tagged them myself with the the tag, "commentary-antiquity", which, according to the collection's rule, should have included those in the collection.

Posts 11640
Forum MVP
NB.Mick | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Dec 19 2017 11:55 PM

Jordan Litchfield:
Meant to ask why the collection didn't include those books when I tagged them myself with the the tag, "commentary-antiquity", which, according to the collection's rule, should have included those in the collection.

I think the rule is written to include only type bible-commentary. You cite it as:

type:bible-commentary (series:("A Library of Fathers of the Holy Catholic Church", "Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture", "Cyril of Alexandria’s Commentary on John", "Early Church Fathers", "The Church’s Bible", "The Fathers of the Church") OR mytag:commentary-antiquity)

which translates to

type:bible-commentary AND (      series:(.....) OR mytag:commentary-antiquity   )

if you want your tagging to override the type, you need to change parentheses, like 

(type:bible-commentary AND series:("A Library of Fathers of the Holy Catholic Church", "Ancient Christian Commentary on Scripture", "Cyril of Alexandria’s Commentary on John", "Early Church Fathers", "The Church’s Bible", "The Fathers of the Church")) OR mytag:commentary-antiquity

Running Logos 9 latest (beta) version on Win 10

Posts 468
Jordan Litchfield | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Dec 20 2017 1:20 AM

Thanks for the explanation.

Posts 13415
Mark Barnes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 21 2018 4:17 AM

I've updated the collection rules on the first page to add the following:

It would be nice to include all the commentaries from all the base packages — but as I don't own them all, that's currently not possible, although I think I'm only missing four series.

If you have these, perhaps you could post the exact series name and which category you think it falls into. I'm also missing the following sets, which are not in a base package:

There may well be others, too. If you know of any commentary series that are missing, and can let me know the details I'd be glad to add them.

(I'm NOT intending to update the collections with non-English sets, or commentaries that aren't part of a series.)

Posts 24525
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 21 2018 4:55 AM

Mark Barnes:

No series name is applied to this set

I haven't used it but from a quick look I would class it as Intermediate and "Historical Commentaries (1750-1950)"

Mark Barnes:

Series name is "A Popular Commentary on the New Testament" and I'd categorise it the same as Summers

Mark Barnes:
John Stott Bible Studies

Series name is "John Stott Bible Studies" and I'd class them as "Study Guide Commentaries"

Posts 4468
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 21 2018 5:09 AM

Graham

Does the series name for Whedon also cover the OT?  If memory serves me correctly only half the series had a name and I had to rename it myself

Posts 959
Yasmin Stephen | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 21 2018 5:22 AM

Graham Criddle:

Mark Barnes:

Series name is "A Popular Commentary on the New Testament" and I'd categorise it the same as Summers

Mattillo:

Graham

Does the series name for Whedon also cover the OT?  If memory serves me correctly only half the series had a name and I had to rename it myself

It's in two parts; the OT series name is Commentary on the Old TestamentWhedon is the not the author of any of the 9 OT volumes.

Posts 24525
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Mar 21 2018 5:23 AM

Hi Mattillo

Mattillo:

Thanks for picking up on this - I missed that.

It does have a series name now - "Commentary on the Old Testament"

Graham

Posts 4468
Mattillo | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 22 2018 6:30 AM

Mark Barnes:

If you have these, perhaps you could post the exact series name and which category you think it falls into. I'm also missing the following sets, which are not in a base package:

This is labeled as: "Jon Courson's Application Commentary"

I guess I'd put it wherever you have the NIVAC or Wiersbe.  It is a little more in depth than say the Life Application Study Bible but I don't think it hit's the realm of Expository.  I am no commentary expert though.  See excerpt below

Posts 31894
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 22 2018 4:03 PM

Mark Barnes:

These both belong in the Expository class. Probably Walk! Messianic Jewish Devotional Commentary Collection does as well.

Mark Barnes:

This is essentially one volume on OT/one on NT that I would place as "One volume" ... or "Expository" if you insist

Ancient Christian Writers has 8 volumes for Antiquity
Commentaries of Theodore of Mopsuestia has 2 volumes for Antiquity

Rick Brannan's Lexical Commentary on the Pastoral Epistles is either Technical or Textual

Sorry - I've got to leave so this is incomplete

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 31894
Forum MVP
MJ. Smith | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Mar 22 2018 10:46 PM

Series that appear to not be included:

• Open Door Commentary
  • Bible History Commentary
  • Christ-Centered Exposition Commentary (not in type:Bible Commentary format)

Recognizing that many of the relevant resources are not type:BibleCommentary format I use the following collections:

For lectionary based commentaries:

series:("The Word for Every Sunday", "The Word for Every Season", "Series Ministeria", "Scriptures for the Church Season", "Lectionary Reflections (Jane Williams)", "The Lectionary Commentary", "Feasting on the Word","Scriptures for the Church Season","Lift up Your Hearts","Preparing for Worship","Fortress Resources for Preaching","Lent for Everyone","Sermons for the Christian Year","Timeless Homilies for Deacons")

A number of resources are not in series and are added manually - I'll list if anyone cares

For Bible study guide:
 I include your collection within mine and use:

series:("3E Ministries Study Guides", "30 Days to Understanding","Adult Bible Studies (ISSL) Cokesbury", "Africa Bible Commentary Series","Back Side","Bible Lessons International","Catholic Scripture Study","Come and See: Catholic Bible Study","Courageous nnnn","David C. Cook Bible Lesson Commentary","Elizabeth George Bible Studies for Women","Exploring the Bible Commentary","Exploring the Testaments","Good Questions Have Small Groups Talking","Hearts Aflame Scripture Study","The Ignatius Catholic Study Bible","Kingdom Series","Life Lessons","MacArthur Bible Studies","Made Easy","Men of Character","New Inductive Study Series","The New International Lesson Annual","Opening Up Commentary","A Revival Kinglings Bible Study Course","Simple Church Bible Study Guide","Scriptures for the Church Season","Spirit Filled Life","Standard Bible Studies","Standard Lesson Commentary","Stonecroft Bible Studies","Studies in Faithful Living","Studies on the Go","Turning Point","Walk Thru The Bible","Walk! Messianic Jewish Devotional Commentary","The Wiersbe Bible Study Series","Wiersbe's 'Be' Series","The Word in Life Bible Discovery Series","Adult Bible Studies","Daily Bible Study","Shepherd's Notes","Unlocking the Bible Story","The Wiersbe Bible Study Series","Do-It-Yourself Bible Studies","Everyman's Bible Commentary" )

Again there are a few items not in series.

Orthodox Bishop Hilarion Alfeyev: "To be a theologian means to have experience of a personal encounter with God through prayer and worship."

Posts 2066
Forum MVP
Reuben Helmuth | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Mar 27 2018 12:16 AM

Mark Barnes:

Textual Commentaries

Textual commentaries focus on issues of textual criticism.

type:(bible-commentary, bible-notes) AND (title:("The Lexham Textual Notes on the Bible", "A Textual Commentary on the Greek New Testament", "A Textual Guide to the Greek New Testament"), mytag:commentary-textual)

Here's a title that should be added to the textual commentaries: "New Testament Text and Translation Commentary: Commentary on the Variant Readings of the Ancient New Testament Manuscripts and How They Relate to the Major English Translations"

I know it's a ridiculously long title, but that's how it ships. If someone wants to shorten the title they can adjust the collection rule accordingly. Here's the link to the resource.

Edit: Perhaps the rule could simply account for the title ending at the colon. This should be plenty sufficient for uniquely identify the correct resource.

Page 7 of 16 (316 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > ... Last » | RSS