Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 20 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 315
Michael Hite | Forum Activity | Posted: Mon, Sep 7 2009 7:53 AM

Can anyone help me with why the MAC version does get the same results as the Windows version? I Bible Speed Search the NAS95 for the word "labor" and get 0 hits in 0 verses. I do the same search in the Windows version and find 146 hits in 130 verses! This is happening all the time. I search for a word in the MAC version and it doesn't find it, I switch to the Windows version and there it is. 

2015 13" MacBook Pro - 2 Ghz Intel i7 - 16 GB RAM - 500GB SSD - 2018 iMac Pro - 3.2GHz 8-core Xeon - both systems running OS 10.14.3 (Mojave)

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 7 2009 10:10 AM
I can verify that none of the bibles I tested (about 6) produced results for the term "labor" Very odd and it seems to be an error in the indexing of the Bibles.

My Books in Logos & FREE Training

Posts 725
JH | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 7 2009 11:05 AM
Yes, it is odd. If you try "labors" with an 's', it works correctly, so the index must be missing something.
Posts 315
Michael Hite | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 7 2009 11:07 AM

This is not the only word that it does this on. Sadly, I haven't written them down, but I have had this same issue with other words as well.

2015 13" MacBook Pro - 2 Ghz Intel i7 - 16 GB RAM - 500GB SSD - 2018 iMac Pro - 3.2GHz 8-core Xeon - both systems running OS 10.14.3 (Mojave)

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 7 2009 11:41 AM
make a note and submit them to Logos. They cannot fix what the problem if they don't know it exists.

Posts 315
Michael Hite | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 7 2009 2:57 PM

I will be happy to do that, but this isn't a beta product. I realize that there can be problems, but how do I know if the results of ANY of my searches are accurate without comparing them to the Windows search results? I want the MAC version to succeed, but this is basic functionality that just isn't right.

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 7 2009 3:36 PM
You have a valid point, a legitimate complaint and I have no argument. I have been using Speed Search now A LOT, and did not find the error you found. It is a good catch.

I am not sure what the development status has to do with it though.

You know, Mac Snow Leopard s not a Beta product either, but when it crashes, or there is a conflict... guess what happens? A report goes to Apple so they can fix it.

Production software does not mean error free software and reliable reporting from users is the first step in making software better. All I am saying is, Logos is probably very happy to hear your complaint. My guess is that Bob is thankful you took the time to post it here. if you want Logos Mac to work, let Logos know about your other problems and they can fix those as well.

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 7 2009 6:53 PM

I have a speculation about the error. Put the word in quotes and it works. Add a second term and it works. The words I've tried that don't work in and of themselves are words ending in boolean operators:

labor returns no results;
land returns no results;

Think of other words that end with boolean operators (AND, OR, NOT) and see if they return results. Until a fix is released, just put the words in quotes.

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 7 2009 7:01 PM

More checking, none of the following returns results unless put in quotes:

labor; land; cannot; poor; floor; demand; door

Others were tried, all ending with boolean operators. That does seem to be an issue. If your word ends with and, or, not be sure you put the word in quotes until a fix is released.

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 7 2009 7:09 PM
Great thinking Chris. It is still an error in programming, but at least it makes sense and Logos should be able to fix that. Very smart on your part brother.

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 7 2009 7:15 PM

A sloppy error that should have been caught but would also be easy to overlook. I've emailed them my observations and this should be pretty easy for them to correct. I'd guess we will see a fix in the next point release unless it is already close to release.

Posts 315
Michael Hite | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 7 2009 8:31 PM
Great catch Chris - I think your assessment is right on the money - other words like; favor, command, cannot also get o hits and have Boolean endings.

Posts 315
Michael Hite | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 7 2009 8:39 PM
Joe - my point was simply that this type of thing should have been caught in Beta. I realize that Production software does not mean error free software. Believe me, I am a HUGE Logos fan - as consumers though, with a product like this, we need to be able to trust the reports and results it generates. If you ask software like this how many times a particular word occurs in the text - it needs to be accurate or it really doesn't do you much good. When these types of errors occur it calls other search results into question as well I think. PLEASE understand me - I love Logos - I look forward to the day that the MAC version is more in line with the Windows version in terms of feature set and accuracy.

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 7 2009 8:52 PM
Michael,

Right to the point, I am suggesting that your complaint was a GOOD thing and was encouraging you to post MORE errors.. I don't see how that gets into a discussion about your "love" for software. I never questioned your "love" for logos or the validity of your concern. Like I said, you are right and I have NO argumen with you for posting brother. Like was mentioned above, it was a lazy error and should have been caught before. HOWEVER, the ONLY suggestion I made was that you post the other items you found to be in error so Logos could solve the problem The more bugs you report, the better for all of us.

Now, with just a couple examples, one person has already "solved" what the problem may be.

Blessings brother.

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 10 2009 1:34 PM

Got a note back from Logos that the error has been reported and they will get to work on a fix but "A fix may not make it into 1.2.2, which will include fixes for font issues for Snow Leopard, but hopefully development can get a fix ready soon."

Good news: They are working on it.

Bad news: We will have to wait.

Good news: There are ways to work around this bug.

Best news: God reigns.

Posts 4077
Melissa Snyder | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 10 2009 1:38 PM

Thank you Michael, Joe, JH, and Chris for finding and figuring out a bug we missed!  It has been reported, and I'm hoping a fix won't take too long to be released. It may not make it into 1.2.2, though, which will include fixes for font issues in Snow Leopard.

Posts 1416
Wes Saad | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 17 2009 6:09 PM

The problem is fixed in 1.2.2, though I have had speed search crash the program a time or two while testing it out.

Posts 8
Steve Postma | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 5:43 AM

My question has to do with searching Bibles.  No matter what I search for in any bible it only comes up with nothing.  I am not sure what speed search is; is that the "window slot" next to the magnifying glass?

Where is a good place to go and see what features should and how well they are working?  As far as my Bibles are concerned I can only open them, read them, link between versions, but any searching, GK / HEB inter linears seem to not be working, is this normal?

Is there a good way to search through the L4 Mac forum without getting all of the L4 PC info?

thanks

Posts 2793
J.R. Miller | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 8:31 AM

StevePostma:
Is there a good way to search through the L4 Mac forum without getting all of the L4 PC info?
The first step would be to actually look in the Logos 4 mac forum.  This is Logos for Mac 1 and is probably confusing you.

StevePostma:
I am not sure what speed search
the new L4 Speed Search is not yet available to us in L4mac.

StevePostma:
is that the "window slot" next to the magnifying glass?
That is the Command Bar.  Again, join in the Logos 4 Mac forum and post more questions there so we don't confuse folks using the Logos for Mac 1 forum.

Blessings

Posts 8
Steve Postma | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Feb 4 2010 8:50 AM

Thanks.  i had searched the L4 Mac forum, but did not find what I needed.  I then used the search feature on the web page which brought me to this thread of comments.  Without thinking, I assumed everyone was commenting on L4 for Mac, but realised shortly after had posted that I was in fact in the wrong spot! Big oops!

Page 1 of 2 (21 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS