Resource differences?

Page 1 of 1 (2 items)
This post has 1 Reply | 1 Follower

Posts 47
Michael S. | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Sep 9 2014 1:29 PM

I see various "Dictionaries", "Lexicons", "Encyclopedias", etc.. advertised.  I want to ask, "Which is the best?" but I know there are differences between them.  Anyone know a chart somewhere that does a good job showing the differences using summary statements (not examples)?  For example:  What is the differences between DBL, BDB, Holladay, TWOT, HALOT, etc..  Or BDAG, Louw-Nida, Liddell, LXGRCANLEX, etc.. How do I know if I need a different resource?  How do I decide which resource to prioritize?  I guess what I am asking is, "What are the strengths and weaknesses of these resources?" So I guess I am looking for a chart showing the available "Dictionaries" and their individual strengths and weaknesses, and then a subjective summation that offers priority suggestions.  Then same for "Lexicon", "Encyclopedia", etc..  I had gathered that BDAG was a priority- so I got it based on the How to use Greek and Hebrew set that came out a few years back.  It also recommended HALOT, but gave Holladay as a good substitute, if you will.  Am I being clear with my request?  Any help is appreciated.

Posts 25202
Forum MVP
Graham Criddle | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 9 2014 1:41 PM

Michael S.:
I see various "Dictionaries", "Lexicons", "Encyclopedias", etc.. advertised.  I want to ask, "Which is the best?" but I know there are differences between them.  Anyone know a chart somewhere that does a good job showing the differences using summary statements (not examples)? 

I don't know of any chart but there is information about some of them on the Logos wiki

See https://wiki.logos.com/Resource$3a_BDAG_$28Greek-English_Lexicon_of_the_NT$29 for the article on BDAG

If you put "Resource:" in the search box you will see what is available (there are some false positives)

Page 1 of 1 (2 items) | RSS