New International Version 1984 copyrighted edition resource

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 26 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 4
Mark Sausman | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Sep 12 2014 1:42 PM

To All,  I would like to purchase a copy of the New International Version of the Holy Bible 1984 copyrighted  edition. I understand that Logos can help us transfer the license of the resource for a fee which  covers their cost which I am glad to pay. Please respond in my faithlife account. Thanks

Posts 6503
Forum MVP
Lynden Williams | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 12 2014 1:46 PM

Welcome to the Forums Mark. You may find the New International Versions here. Choose the one that best fits your needs. https://www.logos.com/products/search?q=new+international+version

Everything ever written in Religion and Theology formatted for Logos Bible Software.Logos Youtube Channel

Posts 28116
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 12 2014 2:40 PM

For clarification: The copyright holders no longer allow the NIV84 to be sold. 

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 4
Mark Sausman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 12 2014 3:46 PM

To alabama24, I was aware that Logos can no longer sell the 1984 copyrighted edition. I also believe that an individual can sell their private copy and that Logos can help their customers connect in this matter for a small fee. Nevertheless, thank you for your clarification as I am still doing my search and I appreciate any help. 

Posts 28116
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 12 2014 3:59 PM

Mark Sausman:
I also believe that an individual can sell their private copy and that Logos can help their customers connect in this matter for a small fee.

For clarification again:

1. Another user CAN sell you their license.
  2. If their license is tied to another collection or base package, they would need to sell you the entire collection or package.
  3. Logos will charge you a minimal fee (I believe $20) to transfer the license from their account to yours.
  4. Logos does not have a service to connect users.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 4
Mark Sausman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 12 2014 5:55 PM

To alabama24,  Yes,I want to purchase a NIV84 license.Today they advised me to use their forum. Tonight they said that the forum was not for selling or giving away resources but that if I wanted to buy a license for a NIV84 that's OK.Thank you for the help.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 12 2014 7:22 PM

Zip it!

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 10622
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 12 2014 9:51 PM

ST, that would 'not' be a change in policy.  It sounds that way, but it's really not.  Now, let's say I want to SELL my NIV84 license to this gentleman. And I made the offer FIRST.  There's the problem.

Now, let's say I'd instead want to GIVE the gentleman my NIV84; I don't sell the Word of God to anyone.  A gift, however, would be a big no-no (as the OP notes).  The transaction would by necessity have to involve a transfer of MONEY first initiated by someone wanting to buy the Word of God.

Are we clear?

Now, others may well have noticed that this policy is fully compatible with the good Apostle Paul, when he criticized early purveyers of the gospel for SELLING the gospel.  The key is to OFFER the purveyer first; no gifts.

"I didn't know God made honky tonk angels."

Posts 2067
Randy W. Sims | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 12 2014 10:25 PM

Anyone who wants to sell, give, trade the niv84 or any package containing such can contact me, after the OP. simsrw73. on most networks. Gmail, Yahoo, Facebook, Twitter, Faithlife, etc.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 12 2014 10:32 PM

Denise:
Are we clear?

As mud.    Once, a generous user took names for a drawing and gave away his library in the forums. He was reprimanded.

So, you are saying we must charge for the word of God?

............going to sleep on this. Maybe it will make sense in the morning.

Posts 2278
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 13 2014 12:49 AM

Hi Mark,

You might also want to check out the public group, Logos Resales, on Facebook. I think this link should take you to the right page.

I haven't interacted with the group that much, but there does appear to be a fair amount of activity. 

Blessings

Big Smile

Posts 2278
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 13 2014 12:49 AM

[Deleted duplicate post]

Posts 611
Graham Owen | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 13 2014 2:50 AM

It seems odd that you can still buy the Anglicised NIV 1984 as long as you live outside of the US and Canada!

https://www.logos.com/product/29979/the-holy-bible-new-international-version-anglicised

God Bless

Graham

Pastor - NTCOG Basingstoke

Posts 9146
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 13 2014 7:19 AM

I can very much sympathize with the OP. I hope you are able to secure a copy. Personally I'm glad that I was able to get a copy of the NIV 1984 since I used it for many years to do all of my Bible memorization. I continues to be a frustration to many that it is no longer available.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 10622
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 13 2014 9:37 AM

ST, my grammaticalization seems to have gone haywire.  I was indicating I'd give a Bible away before I'd sell it.  But the Logos 'policy' emphasizes hanging trinkets off the Cross (but at a very good price of course).

I didn't know the NT84 Anglican is now non-North America.  I was always under the impression that NIV84 was largely an American issue.

Posts 4
Mark Sausman | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 13 2014 12:17 PM

To Denise, Would you care to sell your NIV84 license? I've used the NIV since 1977 and seeing it on Logos in large print would be a big positive.

Posts 10622
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 13 2014 1:55 PM

Mark, you might want to edit your email address to be less copyable by el robots. You have time (edit is in the little menu on the far right of your post).

More to your question, finding a loose NIV84 is going to be a challenge for you.  Personally I've no use for the translation, but I like to consult it for the perspective.   I checked over at CD for older Libronix CDs that might have included it.  No such luck.

And it's most curious why you can't buy it.  I suppose though, that if I translated the  Bible, and refused to sell it, I'd be in my rights. Or limited distribution to my street.  Now, from a spiritual standpoint (and presuming anyone would actually want it), it'd be .... curious.  But not unusual.  Big bucks for God.  (That's supposed to be sarcastic.)

Posts 4708
Forum MVP
Mike Binks | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 13 2014 4:16 PM

Denise:
And it's most curious why you can't buy it.  I suppose though, that if I translated the  Bible,

If I had made a translation I would want to get it distributed.

But if, later, I had found our some new stuff, got a better understanding, produced a better translation then I would want people to use the new one rather than the old one.

In fact I would do all I could to get the first out of circulation.

Just because people are used to an ok translation is not a reason for sticking with it when something better comes along.

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 13 2014 4:38 PM

Mike Binks:
Just because people are used to an ok translation is not a reason for sticking with it when something better comes along.

Something better?   Like Today's NIV?  Stick out tongue

Posts 10622
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 13 2014 4:47 PM

I smilingly agree with you, Mike.  There's precious few manuscript scraps before the late 2nd century. And for good reason .... the new manuscripts were better!  Of course die-hards like Jerome had their gripes.

Page 1 of 2 (27 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS