Zondervan Pricing

Page 1 of 3 (57 items) 1 2 3 Next >
This post has 56 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 1130
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Jan 6 2010 10:43 AM

I know this has been brought up before, but I just got a CBD catalog in the mail to day and I could not help but notice that CBD has the 9 vol. Illustrated Bible Background Commentary on sale for only $199. The Pre-pub prices of the Zondervan products is way out of line. What incentive is there for anyone to place a pre-order on a product that is going for the full MSRP? Now that I know that Zondervan is willing to sell it for less than the MSRP (CBD is proof of that), I will just wait until Zondervan gives Logos premission to include it some future base package or as part of a future March Madness or 12 Days of Logos Sale.

Who knows, Zondervan might chose to sell these books on their own like Nelson and Baker does and we can pick them up for a 40% to 50% discount at our local Christian Bookstore or on-line somewhere.

I just don't get this price structure. Has anyone ordered any of these resources at full MSRP? If so how did you justify such an expenditure?

Posts 2781
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 11:00 AM

After much research i shall be cancelling my Pre -Pub order and waiting for the Zondervan discount announcement for existing Pradis users. The price is way to high for the digital format in Logos. Not Logos fault of course as the pricing is down to Zondervan. I am not prepared to pay a high price for the Zondervan product as it is currently advertised on the Logos Pre-Pub page. I will wait for the Zondervan announcement before making the cancellation but will definitely cancel my order if it ships before the announcement.

Ted

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 1130
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 11:25 AM

Ted Hans:
I will wait for the Zondervan announcement before making the cancellation but will definitely cancel my order if it ships before the announcement.

Since this pre-pub was "in production" before it was even posted, there is not even the incentive of ordering a product for the purpose of bringing it to Logos. In addition, we know the price will not go up, because it is as high as it can go, so why not wait. There is nothing to lose and everything to gain by not placing a pre-order. That is why I just don't get this. Does Zondervan think we are stupid or something?

Posts 3163
Dominick Sela | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 11:29 AM

Add me to the list who would have ordered with a "typical" pre-pub discount, but at full price there is no incentive to buy.

Posts 2781
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 11:32 AM

P. Keith Larson:
Since this pre-pub was "in production" before it was even posted, there is not even the incentive of ordering a product for the purpose of bringing it to Logos. In addition, we know the price will not go up, because it is as high as it can go, so why not wait. There is nothing to lose and everything to gain by not placing a pre-order. That is why I just don't get this. Does Zondervan think we are stupid or something?

Yes, what you say make sense will cancel now.

Ted

Edit : Just been to the Pre-Pub page there is actually a Pre-Pub discount for the item i have pre-ordered. I guess i will just have to wait for the announcement from Zondervan before cancelling my order.

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 221
James Thompson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 11:35 AM

I have a couple of the Zondervan items on pre-order. I haven't cancelled my order because I'm assuming that the Logos version once completed will have referencing and linking capability with other Logo family products. I'm assuming that's not the case if I purchase the Pradis version. Maybe I've got it all wrong. Can someone from Logos clarify this? Thanks!

Posts 5615
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 11:47 AM

James Thompson:
I haven't cancelled my order because I'm assuming that the Logos version once completed will have referencing and linking capability with other Logo family products.

You're correct, but the issue here is the pricing structure, not the functionality.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 579
Jim VanSchoonhoven | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 11:57 AM

I understand what you are saying, but I have to admit, that I like at least one of their resources so much, and feel that it is a great buy even at full price that I will buy it at full retail, just to have it in Logos 4, and I will be thankful to have it, but I will still resent the attitude that Zondervan has!!!

If their pricing was reduced I would buy a lot more, or their products, I don't know what they are thinking!

By the way since it is full retail, I will not be in a big rush to buy this item and will pick up other Logos items that are on sale, before I get this one item.

I also think Logos might as well take Zondervan off the pre-pub page, since pre-pub has always been a means of getting new books at the best price, but with Zondervan it just means being able to pay full retail!!!

Is there anyone else that thinks Zondervan products at these prices doesn't belong on the pre-pub page?

In Christ,

Jim

Posts 569
J. Morris | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 12:51 PM

I'm a little confused (a reoccurring theme).  Is the pre-pub price reduced at all or is it going to be sold at that price even after it is in full Logos production?

If it is going to be sold at the same price then it shouldn't be listed on the pre-pub page IMO.

Posts 3863
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 12:52 PM

i already cancelled.  Some of their material is at a 'decent" pre-pub price, like the EBC and the NIVACNT.  Incidentally, pre-pub is the same as "Logos Sale Price."

i have those (and others) already on Pradis.  No incentive to pay money now, certainly not $2000.  I love the product, not the price and before they came to Logos, not much of the service.  I wish them well.

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 1130
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 1:13 PM

James Thompson:

I have a couple of the Zondervan items on pre-order. I haven't canceled my order because I'm assuming that the Logos version once completed will have referencing and linking capability with other Logo family products. I'm assuming that's not the case if I purchase the Pradis version. Maybe I've got it all wrong. Can someone from Logos clarify this? Thanks!

I was not questioning the functionality, the Logos format will be better, but the pricing. Why offer a Pre-pub at full MSRP, which will probably be discounted sometime in the future? Even if it is never discounted a person can always pay the full MSRP, but the prudent thing to do is to at least wait and see if Zondervan offers these products themselves at a lower price.

Posts 1130
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 1:22 PM

Jeremiah Daniel Morris:

I'm a little confused (a reoccurring theme).  Is the pre-pub price reduced at all or is it going to be sold at that price even after it is in full Logos production?

If it is going to be sold at the same price then it shouldn't be listed on the pre-pub page IMO.

I can see how this might confuse someone new to the Logos family. In the past third party Logos compatible products (Nelson, Baker and IVP) have been offered on the Pre-pub page and they were either not discounted at all or for less that you could purchase these products from a retail store. They are really just pre-orders.

I agree they shouldn't be on the pre-pub page. It appears to me that you thought you were getting a discounted price, when in fact you were just committing yourself to purchase a product before it's street price was set. A win-win for Logos and Zondervan, a losing proposition for the customer however.

Posts 1130
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 1:36 PM

Dan DeVilder:
i already canceled.

I hope people don't think I started this thread to take away sales from Logos, but to discus something that just does not make sense to me. I doubt Logos had any choice but to sell these resources at the price Zondervan told them to list it at. This is the reason I think Zondervan will be packaging these resources into their own Logos Libraries as Nelson does and selling them for less.

Speaking of Nelson, this is just what they do. Take any of Nelson's eBible libraries and then add up what it would cost you to unlock those same books from the Logos site and you can see that Nelson is purposely putting Logos at a competitive disadvantage. The big losers in all this are the customers who unwittingly unlock Nelson books from Logos and pay far more than they have to.

Posts 1130
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 1:40 PM

JimVanSchoonhoven:
I understand what you are saying, but I have to admit, that I like at least one of their resources so much, and feel that it is a great buy even at full price that I will buy it at full retail, just to have it in Logos 4,

I can appreciate this and this in my mind is the only reason to pre-pub one of these resources, but for me there is nothing that Zondervan is offering that I am not willing to wait and see if I can pick it up for less.

Posts 692
Otto S. Carroll | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 2:13 PM

P. Keith Larson:
...a losing proposition for the customer however.

I guess that would be in the eyes of the beholder. In the 12+ years that I've been buying Logos products (directly from them and 3rd party vendors), I've never considered anything I bought a "losing proposition." There are 3-4 Zondervan titles I've ordered on pre-pub. Sure I would like to get them at 1/2 the list price; however, I don't consider the prepub price for any of the resources I've ordered to be out of line. No one is committed to buy anything ordered on prepub until it ships - there's usually sufficient time to change one's mind in case of buyer's remorse...

15" rMBP 2.6 GHz i7 | 16 GB RAM | 1.0 TB Flash Drive | OS X 10.12.3 | Logos 7.0 (7.3.0.0062)

Posts 653
Alex Scott | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 6:26 PM

Yeah for years, all we've heard is - we want the resources that Zondervan has - over and over and over again.  Now finally, with a lot of effort from Logos I expect, we have what we've asked for so long and all some of us can do is complain about the cost.  You know what? - No one is forcing you to buy anything.  If you want it - buy it.  If you're just looking for bargain prices I guess you really don't want it very badly.

Longtime Logos user (more than $30,000 in purchases) - now a second class user because I won't pay them more every month or year.

Posts 3863
Forum MVP
Friedrich | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 6:28 PM

P. Keith Larson:

Dan DeVilder:
i already canceled.

I hope people don't think I started this thread to take away sales from Logos

Just to ease your mind, i cancelled on my own weeks ago.  I have no animosity toward Logos, nor want to take sales away.  I spent over 3000 dollars on Logs stuff last year.  Not bragging or looking to compare, just saying it wasn't pocket change.  I can't even come close to that this year.   So I have to be way more choosy.  

I like Apples.  Especially Honeycrisp.

Posts 1130
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 8:03 PM

Alex Scott:

Yeah for years, all we've heard is - we want the resources that Zondervan has - over and over and over again.  Now finally, with a lot of effort from Logos I expect, we have what we've asked for so long and all some of us can do is complain about the cost.  You know what? - No one is forcing you to buy anything.  If you want it - buy it.  If you're just looking for bargain prices I guess you really don't want it very badly.

I am not complaining, just truly puzzled. I lose nothing by waiting. They are already in production, so my pre-order will not help bring these long desired resources to Logos. They are already at maximum price, so ththere is no danger in the price being higher in the future. The customer has everything to gain by waiting and nothing to lose. I just don't get it.

Posts 579
Jim VanSchoonhoven | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 9:14 PM

If the product is a good value to a person at full retail and they do not buy it but wait instead, some of us would miss out on the use of that product!!!  I know of at least one set of commentaries that if I had it, I would use it at least 3-4 times a week and maybe every day.

To me having this set in Logos, would be worth it, I know from using this set in the past that I would use it all of the time, I had it in paper and gave it away when we moved into a motorhome, I miss it dearly, and I will pay retail for it!

However, if Zondervan is listening... you are missing out on sales and building bad feelings with these high prices, yes I want your resources and I want them in Logos 4, but look around at everybody elses prices and you will see many sources that are just as good as yours at a fraction of the price!

In Christ,

Jim

Posts 1130
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Jan 6 2010 9:31 PM

JimVanSchoonhoven:

However, if Zondervan is listening... you are missing out on sales and building bad feelings with these high prices

By waiting I don't think I will have any bad feelings. I am confident that Zondervan is going to package these resources in products that will sell at about the same price as their Pradis software. I will feel real good. It will be the people who have purchased these pre-pubs who will not be feeling so good.

Page 1 of 3 (57 items) 1 2 3 Next > | RSS