Morris Proctor Training Manuals

Page 1 of 2 (37 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 36 Replies | 1 Follower

Posts 57
Duncan Campbell | Forum Activity | Posted: Tue, Sep 16 2014 10:05 PM

Hi,

I have looked at these for some time now, and see that they are currently on sale, but shipping to Scotland is like $48.

Could someone tell me what page size the manuals are. Are they hard cover?

Is the content worth it, and extensive. It would end up costing me $83 shipped.

I do feel that there is much of logos 5I I don't use to its full potential, and wonder if these would be the way to go.

I appreciate any advice.

Blessings.

Duncan

Posts 570
Schumitinu | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 17 2014 12:11 AM

I don't have these manuals but I do like Morris Procter's posts in the Logos Blog. I have learned a lot through his blog entries. However, since they are not downloadable and do not integrate into the Logos library, they are no option for me neither (living oversees). But you might want to check out learnlogos.com. John Fallahee often provides a Word document that can be converted into a personal book. This not only allows you to read his notes in Logos. But it often provides links to searches etc. that he has set up for you.

Posts 177
Gerald Rodgers | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 17 2014 3:37 AM

Hi Duncan

I'm from N Ireland and feel the same. I was on the Logos blog this morning and discovered

that if you phone Logos and ask for Justin he will let you have the manuals post free. The

guy who wrote this said to mention his name which was Tom. Hope this helps.

Gerald

Posts 2591
David Ames | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 17 2014 3:48 AM

The BIG questions are:

Why are these not downloads?

Why do we need to pay for instructions on running the program?

And Yes, https://wiki.logos.com/ is free.

Posts 487
Carmen Gauvin-O'Donnell | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 17 2014 4:17 AM

I could be wrong here but I think it's because Morris Proctor, although the only "licensed" Logos trainer, is a separate entity, so this is his company's version of the user manual, Not actually Logos'.

Posts 1602
Deacon Steve | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 17 2014 5:54 AM

Here is a link to the resource.

Posts 3020
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 17 2014 6:53 AM

Duncan Campbell:

Hi,

I have looked at these for some time now, and see that they are currently on sale, but shipping to Scotland is like $48.

Is the content worth it, and extensive. It would end up costing me $83 shipped.

I do feel that there is much of logos 5I I don't use to its full potential, and wonder if these would be the way to go.

I appreciate any advice.

Blessings.

Duncan

Yes it will cost almost as much as half of the price.The cost of shipping is very expensive.

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 3020
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 17 2014 6:55 AM

David Ames:

The BIG questions are:

Why are these not downloads?

Why do we need to pay for instructions on running the program?

And Yes, https://wiki.logos.com/ is free.

I don't understand why? Why do we have to pay huge money for postage.

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 2931
Doc B | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 17 2014 8:01 AM

Duncan Campbell:

Last time this ( http://blog.logos.com/2014/09/on-sale-logos-5-training-manual-set/ ) happened, the new version of Logos was released within about a month or so.

Does this mean L6 is on the horizon?

My thanks to the various MVPs. Without them Logos would have died early. They were the only real help available.

Faithlife Corp. owes the MVPs free resources for life.

Posts 225
Alex Bui | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 17 2014 8:16 AM

Doc B:

Duncan Campbell:

Last time this ( http://blog.logos.com/2014/09/on-sale-logos-5-training-manual-set/ ) happened, the new version of Logos was released within about a month or so.

I remembered that, Smile.

Posts 3020
Tes | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 17 2014 8:33 AM

Doc B:

Duncan Campbell:

Let's  wait  what comes after about one month.

Blessings in Christ.

Posts 2680
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 17 2014 1:15 PM

Duncan Campbell:

Is the content worth it, and extensive.

Hey Duncan,

I don't own these manuals, but Morris is a thorough going presenter and has a reputation for producing quality teaching materials. The product page for this set of training manuals vol.1 and vol.2  gives a detailed coverage as to what to expect from the training. Quoting from this information you can anticipate 262 pgs. of material.

The product page also provides sample pages from the resources. Even with the possible impending release of "Logos 6," I doubt there will be a major departure from the present set of features offered thus you can therefor expect that your modest expense will repay dividends towards grasping the nuts and bolts of the software.

In addition depending on your needs and level of proficiency there are a number of free videos and webinars available, visit Support on the www.logos.com webpage, Mark Barnes offers an excellent introduction to the software that is still quite relevant here and free webinars have begun to be released by Logos that are archived at www.logos.com/webinars-archive, for specific information on any number of topics the wikis e.g., Collections, are indespensible, finally, John Fallahee offers free webinars on his website at www.learnlogos.com under the Live Training Schedule heading, but I give you fair warning after viewing the live presentation you're probably going to want to pay to own the recorded session.

Parting shot, let us not overlook the obvious, when your in a jam the forums do the trick!

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 2680
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 17 2014 1:19 PM

Duncan Campbell:

Hey Duncan,

I don't own these manuals, but Morris is a thorough going presenter and has a reputation for producing quality teaching materials. The product page for this set of training manuals vol.1 and vol.2  gives a detailed coverage as to what to expect from the training. Quoting from this information you can anticipate 262 pgs. of material.

The product page also provides sample pages from the resources. Even with the possible impending release of "Logos 6," I doubt there will be a major departure from the present set of features offered thus you can therefor expect that your modest expense will repay dividends towards grasping the nuts and bolts of the software.

In addition depending on your needs and level of proficiency there are a number of free videos and webinars available, visit Support on the www.logos.com webpage, Mark Barnes offers an excellent introduction to the software that is still quite relevant here and free webinars have begun to be released by Logos that are archived at www.logos.com/webinar-archive, for specific information on any number of topics the wikis e.g., Collections, are indespensible, finally, John Fallahee offers free webinars on his website at www.learnlogos.com under the Live Training Schedule heading, but I give you fair warning after viewing the live presentation you're probably going to want to pay to own the recorded session.

Parting shot, let us not overlook the obvious, when your in a jam the forums do the trick!

BTW they're soft cover.

Meanwhile, Jesus kept on growing wiser and more mature, and in favor with God and his fellow man.

International Standard Version. (2011). (Lk 2:52). Yorba Linda, CA: ISV Foundation.

Posts 2680
Beloved Amodeo | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 17 2014 1:27 PM

Duncan Campbell:

Hey Duncan,

In addition depending on your needs and level of proficiency there are a number of free videos and webinars available, visit Support on the www.logos.com webpage, Mark Barnes offers an excellent introduction to the software that is still quite relevant here and free webinars have begun to be released by Logos that are archived at www.logos.com/webinar-archive, for specific information on any number of topics the wikis e.g., Collections, are indespensible, finally, John Fallahee offers free webinars on his website at www.learnlogos.com under the Live Training Schedule heading, but I give you fair warning after viewing the live presentation you're probably going to want to pay to own the recorded session.

BTW it is soft cover.

Posts 225
Alex Bui | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 17 2014 5:36 PM

Hi Duncan,

If you want to see samples of how MP trains others, these would give you good examples:

https://www.logos.com/product/42738/logos-5-quickstart

http://blog.logos.com/?s=morris+proctor

The followings will all give you more comprehensive coverage on how to use Logos.  They are all excellent resources.

Paper https://www.logos.com/product/36348/logos-5-training-manual-set?utm_source=blog.logos.com&utm_medium=blog&utm_content=onsaletrainingmanual&utm_campaign=promo-trainingmanual2014

Download https://www.logos.com/product/41718/mobile-ed-lt151-logos-academic-training

Download http://www.learnlogos.com/category_s/1870.htm if you decide to go with this, don't forget to use fivedollars coupon.

Posts 7403
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 17 2014 6:06 PM

And why are people who don't own the manuals giving advice on them.  How about we get someone who actually owns them to give advice...LOL...let me guess, maybe nobody buys them; hence, the big question: Why are these not available as downloads? I even wrote a post on this subject earlier today.  Anyway, maybe someday Logos will give us or attempt to give us a valid reason as to why 1) the manuals are not available as downloads and 2) why do we have to pay to learn how to use the software! So far, everything else I've bought comes with instructions.  Must be some kind of contract they have with Morris Proctor to help him get richer, which is fine, the guy knows his stuff, but I believe the manuals should be given for free, at least, to those who buy Gold and up (Sorry, not to say the lower base packages don't deserve it, but it would at least encourage sales of higher base packages -- though I still believe they should be available as Digital Downloads even if we have to pay for them).

DAL

Posts 28462
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 17 2014 6:19 PM

DAL:
why do we have to pay to learn how to use the software!

Logos doesn't make them, Morris Proctor does. 

DAL:
How about we get someone who actually owns them to give advice

I have them for L4 and really like them. And believe it or not, I would prefer them in print. (But a digital copy would be nice too).

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 7403
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 17 2014 6:34 PM

alabama24:

Logos doesn't make them, Morris Proctor does. 

Ok, so Morris must be some kind of share holder/owner of Logos or else why would Logos allow him to get rich off of training people to use their software? He's a superb instructor, but again, that doesn't justify Logos not giving us an in-house Manual (which should be better than Morris') which should come with the software.  Instead, they offer "Webinars" and short videos on their wiki page which are nothing close to the training manuals that come with other things you buy in life.

alabama24:

I have them for L4 and really like them. And believe it or not, I would prefer them in print. (But a digital copy would be nice too).

I'd rather have them in Digital format even if I have to pay for them - that's how far I'm willing to go to learn how to use the software, but they're not getting any money from me on training manuals that come from a third party guy - which, again, raises the question: Why is Logos allowing Morris to get rich off of training people how to use the software? 

What if I wanted to do the same thing, but in Spanish?  Invest my time and money to learn how to use the software and then just charge people to learn how to use the software and buy training manuals and videos from me.  Would Logos be ok with that?

I'm sure there's a lot of things behind the scenes that we don't know, but still, many have complained about why we have to spend big bucks on Logos Bible Software and then pay a third party to learn how to use the software.  I'm sure it's an honest query everybody has and it should be answered at least to some degree.

DAL

Posts 8967
RIP
Matthew C Jones | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 17 2014 6:57 PM

DAL:
many have complained about why we have to spend big bucks on Logos Bible Software and then pay a third party to learn how to use the software.

Obviously these people have not been around the block enough times. It is the norm within the corporate world to pay a third party for training. As a Commissioner for HUD I spent a small fortune on CEU training seminars. A couple of them included how to use MS Office and other software to its fullest.

If you can produce a Spanish seminar or workbooks I am sure Logos would be interested in talking to you.

Logos 7 Collectors Edition

Posts 28462
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 17 2014 7:54 PM

DAL:
Ok, so Morris must be some kind of share holder/owner of Logos or else why would Logos allow him to get rich off of training people to use their software?

He isn't an owner and I doubt he is "getting rich." Furthermore, I know that he employs other people as well (part time / full time I don't know). Bob has addressed the issue of "why Morris" elsewhere, but I think the heart of the matter was "he does a better job than we could do." I know that there are strong feelings about wether Logos should be producing this in-house and giving it to users... I don't want to wade into that discussion. I will say that most any software of any heft has paid guides... either published in-house or by and authorized trainer. This is true of Adobe products, Office, etc and isn't unique to Logos.

DAL:
What if I wanted to do the same thing, but in Spanish?  Invest my time and money to learn how to use the software and then just charge people to learn how to use the software and buy training manuals and videos from me.  Would Logos be ok with that?

Sure thing. Just don't advertise in the forums. There are at least two other individuals I know who make a living out of Logos training.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Page 1 of 2 (37 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS