Why does Logos keep doing this?

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 0 Followers

Posts 6485
DAL | Forum Activity | Posted: Wed, Sep 17 2014 1:13 PM

Why does Logos keep doing this? What I mean by "this is": Why offer your training manuals on print form only? The reason I'm buying Logos books is because I have virtually zero interest in carrying print books with me.  So why sell digital books, but then bomb the whole thing by offering a "print training manual"? It's ridiculous! 

Is Logos afraid the sales on the Logos Training Camp DVD's might drop drastically or what? We've been asking for training manuals on digital form forever, and I don't think we've ever received a response as to why we're not getting them.  Why pay $50 for a set of print training manuals, when we could pay $50 for the digital version.  It doesn't even need to be tagged, just put it out there like a read only PB or PDF.

Anyway, just wondering why something so important is still in "print form," that's all.

DAL

Posts 27771
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 17 2014 1:19 PM

Same with the magazine. Tongue Tied

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 6485
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 17 2014 1:31 PM

alabama24:

Exactly! I'm somehow receiving 3 complimentary copies and I like the first issue I received, but I'm sorry, I'm not subscribing to it even if they gave me 5 years for for the price of 1.  The last thing I want is to start piling up print books and magazines in my library.

DAL

Posts 620
Jonathan | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 17 2014 2:40 PM

Yes

Syntax Searching Group | Michigan Logos Users | L5 FAQ | OSX 10.10 | 2.4 GHz i5 | 8 GB Ram

Posts 8974
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 17 2014 2:41 PM

DAL:
 The last thing I want is to start piling up print books and magazines in my library.

This is exactly why I decided to cancel my BSM subscription this summer. I do continue to hope it will be offered digitally someday.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 27771
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 17 2014 2:41 PM

DAL:
I'm somehow receiving 3 complimentary copies

3 complementary copies of the same edition, or 3 editions? If the former, tell them to send me one. Big Smile

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 6485
DAL | Forum Activity | Replied: Wed, Sep 17 2014 2:53 PM

alabama24:

DAL:
I'm somehow receiving 3 complimentary copies

3 complementary copies of the same edition, or 3 editions? If the former, tell them to send me one. Big Smile

3 Editions.  The first one came in last week, so the other 2 will come whenever they are released.

DAL

Posts 468
Charlene | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 22 2014 7:35 AM

DAL:

alabama24:

Exactly! I'm somehow receiving 3 complimentary copies and I like the first issue I received, but I'm sorry, I'm not subscribing to it even if they gave me 5 years for for the price of 1.  The last thing I want is to start piling up print books and magazines in my library.

DAL

Me too. But I haven't even picked it up to look at it. It is something about having the print and being unable to have the digital copy. I will NOT subscribe to the print copy ever again. I will when it is digital. It's that simple.

Charlene

Posts 1691
LogosEmployee
Bob Pritchett | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 22 2014 9:50 PM

The training manuals are produced by Morris Proctor Seminars. We certainly know Morris and talk with him -- and I'll bring this up when we talk next -- but I'd encourage you to ask him for digital editions, too. I'm not sure (though someone else here may know) why these aren't digital. (I believe the historical reason was that people wanted them next to the computer -- they used them as a step by step guide, and with small screens wanted Logos on screen, and the instructions on the desk, and even specifically asked for a binding that let it lay flat. I don't know if there's new reasoning now, or that model has just held on....)

FWIW, MP Seminars is a separate business, with offices in another state and their own team for content creation, production, etc. We're certainly good friends, but despite the close relationship, it's a separate business that makes its own products. We just re-sell them. We don't design or create his training materials.

As a business model, it's like Microsoft re-selling a third-party publisher's "How to Use Excel 2013" book. It's all about Microsoft's product, but the book isn't Microsoft's.

As for Logos, our training and support materials _are_ digital. You'll find the help built into the software, and dozens of video clips at https://www.logos.com/training. (If you haven't looked recently you might want to -- we add them all the time.) Also https://www.logos.com/support and the fantastic (user-contributed) http://wiki.logos.com.

-- Bob

Posts 5251
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Mon, Sep 22 2014 11:21 PM

Bob Pritchett:

(I believe the historical reason was that people wanted them next to the computer -- they used them as a step by step guide, and with small screens wanted Logos on screen, and the instructions on the desk, and even specifically asked for a binding that let it lay flat. I don't know if there's new reasoning now, or that model has just held on....)

But now we can have our phones or tablets by our side... Wink

-Dan

Posts 691
Kevin A Lewis | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 23 2014 2:15 AM

"we can have our phones or tablets by our side"

We can - if we had them

For us without those - please produce both formats.!

Posts 943
Everett Headley | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 23 2014 7:04 AM

Bob Pritchett:

As for Logos, our training and support materials _are_ digital. You'll find the help built into the software, and dozens of video clips at https://www.logos.com/training. (If you haven't looked recently you might want to -- we add them all the time.) Also https://www.logos.com/support and the fantastic (user-contributed) http://wiki.logos.com.

-- Bob

Bob,  I believed you missed a bigger question: Why is BSM not digital?  I know this has been asked in the forums before and that parts of it are now being put out for purchase.  

Posts 10223
Denise | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Sep 23 2014 7:23 AM

I get the feeling Bob's not attended women's Bible class.  Men tend to be happy just sitting and listening. But a wiki, some videos, and a help button don't translate to small groups easily learning Logos.  One guarantee I've always noticed, anyone selling to the ladies starts with a 'guide'.  Like clockwork. 

But Logos IS overwhelmed server-wise, so maybe more customers is a real issue.  Look for a quiet Christmas this year.  Faithlife is another good example of trying to limit too much participation in Logos.  It's good strategy, no doubt.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS