Moving from PC to Macbook Pro

Page 1 of 1 (13 items)
This post has 12 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 57
Duncan Campbell | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Sep 18 2014 10:40 AM

Hi,

I am thinking of moving from PC to Mac, and wanted to check how Logos 5 runs on a Mac.

It would be a retina Macbook Pro 13" with 128gb SSD and 8gb or maybe 16gb ram.

Could someone who uses Logos 5 on the Mac let me know if I would lose any functionality by moving to the Mac from PC version, and how well the spec of mac I have listed is likely to run Logos 5?

Also, in terms of ram, do we think the 16gb ram option is likely to be necessary going forward for Logos 6 to run well, or have we no idea yet.

I appreciate any advice you can give.

Blessings

Duncan

Posts 5321
Dan Francis | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 18 2014 11:45 AM

Logos runs great on my 2012 model MBP with SSD. As far as functionality nearly identical except for handouts which are a feature Logos decided to phase out. 

https://wiki.logos.com/Mac_and_PC_User_Interface_Differences#Feature_Parity

-dan

Posts 39
John A. Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 18 2014 11:56 AM

Duncan,

I moved from a PC to a Macbook Pro 13", 2.4GHZ with 128 GB SSD and 4 GB of memory. Occasionally, I notice a small lag, compared to my PC which had 6 GB of memory. Other than that, I haven't had any difficulty in functionality; And, I love my Mac! Performance overall is much better than my PC.

I'd say think of the 8 GB as the minimum, but if you can afford the additional 16 GB go for it.

John A. Taylor - L5 Portfolio+++ = A Great Library!

"A life in His love and fellowship will make prayer to Him the natural expression of our soul's life." ~ Andrew Murray

Posts 30050
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 18 2014 12:18 PM

Duncan Campbell:
It would be a retina Macbook Pro 13" with 128gb SSD

My personal opinion? 128 GB isn't nearly enough. 8 GB of ram and a larger HD would be much better in the long run than 16 GB of ram with a puny HD.  I swapped out a 250 MB HDD for a 250 MB SSD... I wish I had waited for the 500 MB SSD's to drop into my price range.

If you ONLY use your laptop for:

1. Web browsing
  2. Email
  3. Logos

then you might get away with such a small drive. That's my 2¢

macOS, iOS & iPadOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 466
Mark Nolette | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 18 2014 1:20 PM

I went Mac last November after twenty years on Windows PCs. I have a 13in MacBook Pro with 8GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD. Late 2013 version, with Retina and i5. I'm very pleased with the overall performance, and I'm not looking back. I agree that a bigger SSD will serve you well in the long run. 

I had been thinking, back then, of replacing my old laptop with a Surface Pro with similar specs. Once I saw that, after you add on a Type Cover, the Surface Pro would cost about the same as this Mac, I decided to drink the proverbial Kool-Aid. No regrets! 

Posts 30050
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 18 2014 1:32 PM

Good for you Mark. Big Smile

Posts 24
Perk | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 18 2014 3:06 PM

Agree with Alabama24 on the SSD size. I had a 2011 MBA with 256GB and was out of space, mostly due to photos.

Recently upgraded to an 2014 Retina MBP with 1TB disk space. I will add that it was the easiest computer upgrade I've ever done. Just plugged in my time machine backup and let it restore all my apps and data. An hour and half later was up and running on the new system

Posts 39
John A. Taylor | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Sep 18 2014 8:24 PM

I agree with Alabama that a bigger drive would be better. My drive size isn't an issue for me, because I shift between so many machines, I've found it much easier to keep most of my regularly accessed files in the cloud (as well as multiple backups in the cloud and externally). Besides Logos, most other things take little space.

However, if you're not comfortable with having so much in the cloud...

Then you're better off with more space.

Eventually, my Logos library will force a bigger drive or a newer machine.

John A. Taylor - L5 Portfolio+++ = A Great Library!

"A life in His love and fellowship will make prayer to Him the natural expression of our soul's life." ~ Andrew Murray

Posts 57
Duncan Campbell | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 19 2014 7:35 AM

Thanks for all the advice everyone.

I went with the 256/16gb in the end. Got a good deal with some cashbook thrown in.

Could someone maybe post a link to download the Mac version.

Blessings

Duncan

Posts 30050
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 19 2014 7:47 AM

Duncan Campbell:

The install links are in my signature line. Enjoy! Smile

Posts 15805
Forum MVP
Keep Smiling 4 Jesus :) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 20 2014 7:49 AM

Duncan Campbell:

=> https://www.logos.com/support/logos5/mac/install

Keep Smiling Smile

Posts 1281
toughski | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 20 2014 10:39 AM

alabama24:
I swapped out a 250 MB HDD for a 250 MB SSD...

you probably meant 250GB...

sorry, alabama, but most new MBPs have soldered storage and are impossible to upgrade after order. This is one of the things I hate about Apple, but so far I am very happy with my 2013 MBP Retina

Posts 30050
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 20 2014 11:48 AM

toughski:
you probably meant 250GB...

Uhh... yeah. Embarrassed Smile

toughski:
most new MBPs have soldered storage and are impossible to upgrade after order

Again, yeah. That is true with any of the "retina" display MBP's, but not with the "non retina" ones.

Page 1 of 1 (13 items) | RSS