Book request: The REAL Oxford English Dictionary (unabridged)

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 29 Replies | 4 Followers

Posts 18651
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Posted: Thu, Jan 7 2010 2:15 PM
  • Oxford English Dictionary, 2nd ed. (20 volumes)

The Concise OED is nice, but it doesn't have all words I come across in it. I've been a fan of the complete and unabridged Oxford English Dictionary since childhood. My mother had the 2-volume complete but reduced print edition that had such tiny print you had to read it with a magnifying glass (which came with it in a little drawer). I've had access to the online edition through my graduate school for years. It would be awesome to have this resource in Logos format. It is/was published by Oxford on CD-ROM a while back, but I never bought it because it was expensive and I figured it would be obsolete before you knew it. But if it were in Logos format I'd be assured it would be kept from obsolescence as long as I had it. The thorougness of definitions is great, but the other wonderful thing about the complete OED is all the quotations of when a word was used in significant ways in the past. It includes a lot of Christian literature, so it would make a fascinating browse, and including it in a full library search would come up with some great quotes from certain individuals.

This would be well worth several hundred dollars in Logos format, though I'd hope they could do it for $150 or so.

Posts 2277
Andy | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 7 2010 2:20 PM

Rosie Perera:

The Concise OED is nice, but it doesn't have all words I come across in it. I've been a fan of the complete and unabridged Oxford English Dictionary since childhood. My mother had the 2-volume complete but reduced print edition that had such tiny print you had to read it with a magnifying glass (which came with it in a little drawer). I've had access to the online edition through my graduate school for years. It would be awesome to have this resource in Logos format. It is/was published by Oxford on CD-ROM a while back, but I never bought it because it was expensive and I figured it would be obsolete before you knew it. But if it were in Logos format I'd be assured it would be kept from obsolescence as long as I had it. The thorougness of definitions is great, but the other wonderful thing about the complete OED is all the quotations of when a word was used in significant ways in the past. It includes a lot of Christian literature, so it would make a fascinating browse, and including it in a full library search would come up with some great quotes from certain individuals.

This would be well worth several hundred dollars in Logos format, though I'd hope they could do it for $150 or so.

I agree and would find it incredibly useful, but suspect that licensing and cost (for me anyway!) would be an issue... The two-volume Shorter Oxford English Dictionary would be a nice compromise (though I may well be a sell-out in suggesting such a thing)!

Posts 2736
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 7 2010 2:38 PM

Have you tried Collins? What you think about that one? I use it as my default English dictionary and it looks very helpful to me as non-English person.

Bohuslav

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 7 2010 2:40 PM

Rosie Perera:

I have the Collins English Dictionary which is supposed to be unabridged, but I would jump at this in a gnat's heartbeat.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 2736
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 7 2010 2:45 PM

George Somsel:
I have the Collins English Dictionary which is supposed to be unabridged, but I would jump at this in a gnat's heartbeat.

Oxford Advanced Learner's Dictionary of Current English had been my first English dictionary when I started to learn English, so I have sentiment to that series of dictionaries. I suspect however the big one would be too expensive. Collins works great for my purpose, I realize very well that your usage would be quite different than mine Big Smile

Bohuslav

Posts 5613
Todd Phillips | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 7 2010 2:47 PM

Bohuslav Wojnar:

Have you tried Collins? What you think about that one? I use it as my default English dictionary and it looks very helpful to me as non-English person.

I don't have Collins, but the OED is different from other dictionaries in that it does more than provide a definition: it documents historical usage of a word and shows how a word's meaning has changed through time.  It helps in understanding the meaning that an author in a different time might have given the word.  That's the real value of the OED.

Wiki Links: Enabling Logging / Detailed Search Help - MacBook Pro (2014), ThinkPad E570

Posts 2690
Forum MVP
Ted Hans | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 7 2010 2:50 PM

Rosie Perera:
Oxford English Dictionary, 2nd ed. (20 volumes)

I have already suggested this! Great you are also suggesting this - 20 volumesYes Yes please.

Ted

Dell, studio XPS 7100, Ram 8GB, 64 - bit Operating System, AMD Phenom(mt) IIX6 1055T Processor 2.80 GHZ

Posts 2736
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 7 2010 2:52 PM

Todd Phillips:
I don't have Collins, but the OED is different from other dictionaries in that it does more than provide a definition: it documents historical usage of a word and shows how a word's meaning has changed through time.  It helps in understanding the meaning that an author in a different time might have given the word.  That's the real value of the OED.

I noticed that and I bought it to my son to his Logos Bible Study Library, since he had just Merriam-Webster. He loves it just for that very thing you mentioned.

Bohuslav

Posts 18651
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 7 2010 3:01 PM

Bohuslav Wojnar:

Ah, there's another book I overlooked. Just ordered it. And yes, it is "unabridged" but that means nothing is extracted from the full 1888 pages. But it's still no OED (21,730 pages). There is simply nothing like it. I admit it's a long-shot to hope for it in Logos format, and it would probably only appeal to real English nerds with lots of spare cash floating around. But it doesn't hurt to ask.Smile

Posts 2736
Bohuslav Wojnar | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 7 2010 3:03 PM

Smile

Bohuslav

Posts 8601
TCBlack | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 7 2010 3:14 PM

I remember requesting this some time ago.  I'm sure it would be expensive, but I agree that it's designed for Logos integration. 

Truth Is Still Truth Even if You Don't Believe It

Check the Wiki

Warning: Sarcasm is my love language. I may inadvertently express my love to you.

Posts 421
Scott S | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 7 2010 4:58 PM

Todd Phillips:
the OED is different from other dictionaries in that it does more than provide a definition: it documents historical usage of a word and shows how a word's meaning has changed through time.  It helps in understanding the meaning that an author in a different time might have given the word.  That's the real value of the OED.

Yes, this why the OED is so great.

The OED is available at Amazon on CD for $213, which is the best price I've seen in years.  I'd be willing to pay double that in Logos format.

Since the OED has been requested a number of times in the past, I wish Logos would let us know if they were interested in making it available to us.

Since the OED would not have many links to scripture and other works in Logos, I wonder if it would be cheaper for Logos to produce than other similar length works that we have now.

http://www.amazon.com/Oxford-English-Dictionary-Version-Windows/dp/0199563837/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1262911232&sr=1-2

Edited.

Posts 18651
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Thu, Jan 7 2010 6:00 PM

Scott S:

Since the OED would not have many links to scripture and other works in Logos, I wonder if it would be cheaper for Logos to produce than other similar length works that we have now.

With all the OED's quotes from historic literature, if Logos had any of those works in its library, people might want to be able to click to see the quote in context. Since a lot of theological words appear in the OED, the places where these were used in new ways over the years might very well have been in books that Logos has. But I'd be happy enough to just have it link to any Scripture references that were in it.

Posts 405
Amy Leung | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 8 2010 1:24 AM

YES please!  Yes

I have the OED CD-Rom.  It has some issues with it: (1) it requires you to put in the disc again every three or six months or so to be able to run the program, (2) while they have Greek words displayed all Hebrew words are transliterated (ouch!), (3) some bugs with copy and paste, and (4) I too am worried that it will not run one day. 

If Logos come up with one that would solve all the above issues.  Smile

Posts 352
Mike & Rachel Aubrey | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Jan 8 2010 1:02 PM

you have my vote.

Posts 142
Michael Sullivan | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Jan 9 2010 2:04 PM

My vote too, but I bet it will be difficult and expensive getting Oxford to agree to it.

Posts 36
Mark | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 31 2012 8:30 AM

YES!! This would be the best English tool ever. We need this in Logos. It should not be that expensive. If you look at the unabridged CD-Rom version, it is being sold for $295 right now. I'd pay that to have it integrated in Logos.

Please... Please... Smile

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 31 2012 8:52 AM

Rosie Perera:
The Concise OED is nice, but it doesn't have all words I come across in it. I've been a fan of the complete and unabridged Oxford English Dictionary since childhood. My mother had the 2-volume complete but reduced print edition that had such tiny print you had to read it with a magnifying glass (which came with it in a little drawer).

Yes, I used to have this before I took off on a cross-country trek and disposed of most of my books.  Very nice—I was even able to read much of it without the magnifying glass.

Rosie Perera:
It would be awesome to have this resource in Logos format. It is/was published by Oxford on CD-ROM a while back, but I never bought it because it was expensive and I figured it would be obsolete before you knew it. But if it were in Logos format I'd be assured it would be kept from obsolescence as long as I had it.

Obsolescence is a problem since, as I understand it, the dictionary is continuing to be updated.  I think I would still want it.

george
gfsomsel

יְמֵי־שְׁנוֹתֵינוּ בָהֶם שִׁבְעִים שָׁנָה וְאִם בִּגְבוּרֹת שְׁמוֹנִים שָׁנָה וְרָהְבָּם עָמָל וָאָוֶן

Posts 18651
Rosie Perera | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 31 2012 11:42 AM

George Somsel:
Yes, I used to have this before I took off on a cross-country trek and disposed of most of my books.  Very nice—I was even able to read much of it without the magnifying glass.

That must have been in your younger years, long before you turned 39. I used to be able to read it without a magnifying glass too, but no longer.

George Somsel:
Obsolescence is a problem since, as I understand it, the dictionary is continuing to be updated.  I think I would still want it.

That never deterred people who bought the print edition. I've never heard of anyone buying an updated version of the book. Possibly users who bought the CD-ROM were eligible for free or inexpensive upgrades, I'm not sure. Perhaps Logos could work out some deal for that.

Posts 9946
George Somsel | Forum Activity | Replied: Tue, Jan 31 2012 11:54 AM

Rosie Perera:

George Somsel:

That must have been in your younger years, long before you turned 39. I used to be able to read it without a magnifying glass too, but no longer.

But I still haven't turned 39—that's not until my next birthday.  Big Smile

Rosie Perera:

George Somsel:

That never deterred people who bought the print edition. I've never heard of anyone buying an updated version of the book. Possibly users who bought the CD-ROM were eligible for free or inexpensive upgrades, I'm not sure. Perhaps Logos could work out some deal for that.

You're correct, and I thought of that after I had posted.

george
gfsomsel

Page 1 of 2 (30 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS