Preferred Tablets

Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next >
This post has 31 Replies | 2 Followers

Posts 16
Barry Stewart | Forum Activity | Posted: Fri, Sep 19 2014 11:17 AM

My son has funds available for a tablet to use for Bible study and presentations.  He is taking classes for his master's of Ministry online and would like to use the tablet for class reading assignments. He would also like to use his Bible study software on this tablet, and make notes for in the pulpit.

Any recommendations for ease of reading, format compatability and general user's comments?

Posts 28686
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 19 2014 11:47 AM

Barry Stewart:
He would also like to use his Bible study software on this tablet, and make notes for in the pulpit.

For clarification: Logos has mobile apps for iOS (Apple) and Android (multiple venders). These apps are NOT "Logos 5" and do not have all the functionality of the desktop app. If he wants full access to all of his resources, his only choice is to go with a full Windows 8 Pro device.

With that said, my personal opinion is that tablets are superior for reading. The desktop app is best for research. "Study" falls somewhere in between the two. At one point the iOS apps were significantly further developed... this isn't so true any longer. I believe iOS to be a superior platform, but Android users will be just as vocal in support of their platform. 

Barry Stewart:
Any recommendations for ease of reading, format compatability and general user's comments?

"Ease of reading" - A retina display is best.

"Format compatibility" - I have no idea what you mean. Can you explain?

"General User's Comments" - If your son has an iPhone or a Mac, an iPad would be a logical choice. If he has an Android phone, then some Android tablet would make sense. If he is thinking of getting an iPad, it <might> be good for him to wait a month... Apple is having an event to announce new devices in mid October.

OSX & iOS | Logs |  Install

Posts 28686
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 19 2014 11:58 AM

I forgot to add something. If he wants a DIRT CHEAP tablet, he should consider the new Kindle Fire ($99). [Personally, I would save my pennies for an iPad, but that's me]

Posts 97
Earl Sheneman | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 19 2014 12:05 PM

Alabama did well to point out that the mobile apps are not the full fledged Logos 5 that your son might be using on his desktop. With that being said I have both the Nexus 7 (latest version) and the Ipad Air. I use them mainly for reading and they work great for that.

The Nexus 7 is smaller and a little more portable but other than that I prefer the Ipad Air due to the screen size, 4:3 aspect ratio, and I guess just overall quality. For reading or the other functions that the Apps allow you to do though I think either would be fine. Sometimes it just comes down to personal preference.

Posts 107
Drew Hannay | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 19 2014 12:09 PM

alabama24:

I forgot to add something. If he wants a DIRT CHEAP tablet, he should consider the new Kindle Fire ($99).

You can usually find a Nexus 7 for around $129, and I'd probably recommend that over a Kindle Fire, even if it IS a bit more expensive. The Kindle Fire devices are missing "Google Play Services", which is required for many of Android's features, and the Kindle Fire versions of apps are usually missing features that are available on "real" Android devices (Kindle Fires run a modified, stripped-down version of Android that doesn't have access to any Google apps). Also, Amazon has a rather arbitrary approval process and there has been some difficulty in the past in the Logos apps being approved for the Amazon app store (the Vyrso app, for example, has never been approved for the Amazon app store). You can always install the apps manually from the Logos forums, but I'd prefer to support the more open Google Play platform.

Posts 116
Tanner Thetford | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 19 2014 12:13 PM

My favorite tablets are those which can run the full blown Logos 5 software.

I believe that Microsoft's most recent Surface tablet (3?) runs the program fairly well. If you want a much cheaper option, I use a Dell Venue 8 Pro that I really enjoy, but it runs the program much more slowly, and I enjoy doing the hard work on my desktop more.

I currently use my desktop to do all of my in depth studies and note taking. I use my Dell Venue 8 Pro for reading, and also for preaching and teaching from my in program notes documents. I hope to eventually upgrade to a microsoft surface tablet. A little faster speed and somewhat larger screen could help a lot. I am really happy to have my afforable Venue 8 Pro and recently even built a syntax search on it while on a long drive. It's just not my preferred machine for in depth study or note-taking.

Posts 1071
JohnB | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 19 2014 12:13 PM

If the Nexus 7 I would suggest he got the 32Gb memory over the 16Gb. That memory gets filled VERY quickly!

Posts 28686
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 19 2014 12:29 PM

Tanner Thetford:
It's just not my preferred machine for in depth study or note-taking.

Tanner Thetford:
it runs the program much more slowly, and I enjoy doing the hard work on my desktop more.

So then why:

Tanner Thetford:
My favorite tablets are those which can run the full blown Logos 5 software.

I know that there is a very loyal group of Win 8 tablet users out there. One of my "forum friends" (and a MSU bulldog Smile ) is a die hard Surface fan. For some people, it is a really good fit. For me, however, I would want the best tool for the job. The size and form factor of a tablet isn't conducive to how and why I use L5. On the other hand, I can't stand reading for long periods of time on my computer. By the way, I don't want the iPad to run OS X or L5 either! It isn't a "windows" vs. "mac" thing.

Posts 116
Tanner Thetford | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 19 2014 12:53 PM

alabama24:

So then why:

I used my wife's Ipad to read my library for a couple of weeks before I decided to get a tablet. A few things pushed me into getting the Dell Venue 8 Pro.

1. During sermons trying to use any of my tools was very difficult. I would open my BDAG and be completely unable to search for the greek word that my pastor referenced. I would be curious about something he said and want to access several of my study bibles quickly to double-check what they thought. Perhaps I wanted to take notes in a document for the sermon being preached. All of these things were not terribly easy for me to do using the iPad app.

In my Venue 8 Pro, I have a layout titled "Sermon Listening" That has all of the following resources open:

ESVx2, NIV, NASB, Notes Document, Search Tab, ESV Study Bible, Reformation Study Bible, Apologetics Study Bible, New Treasury of Scripture Knowledge, BDAG, HALOT, New Bible Dictionary

I take notes in the note file, follow along with the the text, jump to cross references in my second ESV tab, search greek and hebrew lemmas, etc. All from my seat. Impossible to do on the Ipad app.

2. Doing sermon or study prep was literally impossible from anywhere except my desktop. If I had to travel I couldn't run the passage guide or properly use any of my resurces. Now I can do my sermon prep at the airport or from my hotel. All of my notes and files are available to me to use. Sure I would prefer to use the desktop, but I at least can still get legitmate work done from another area.

3. I can "get away" to the library and still do legitimate research for my seminary paper by bringing my Dell Venue 8 Pro, bluetooth keyboard and mouse. Previously I would have to try and get my wife to leave and take the dog somewhere if I wanted to make some serious progress on my paper. Now I can work around her needs as well and take my research with me to the library. Sure, the program runs a bit more slowly, but I can search all my journals, pick out the best articles, read them, take notes, and write my paper in Word all on my Venue 8 Pro. If I had a portable monitor, then the slightly slower speed would be easily offset by the portability in my mind.

You said in your first post that "study" is something a little in between the two options you described. I find the Venue 8 Pro fills exactly that gap for me. Plus, I can preach and teach out of the thing. 

Sure, I would like to "upgrade" to a Surface tablet at some point, but for now I am very thankful to God to have all of my resources on hand with the full Logos 5 software available to me wherever I go.

Posts 28686
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 19 2014 1:20 PM

Tanner Thetford:
During sermons trying to use any of my tools was very difficult.

If you are going to preach from the software, then a windows 8 tablet would be the only way to go. Personally, I would never preach from anything other than an outline. As for portability in "research" or "more than reading" kinds of study... that's what I use my MacBook Pro for. 

My hierarchy of devices:

1. MacBook Pro (laptop)
  2. iPad (tablet)
  3. iPhone (smart phone)
  4. iMac (desktop)

That is exactly the order of how I prioritize my electronics purchases. 

Posts 1085
EastTN | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 19 2014 1:21 PM

I'm using a Nexus 7 to study for classes.  My situation is that I ride a subway into work every day.  I load just the books for my class readings onto the Nexus and read them during my commute.  It has been great for reading.  Highlighting is less convenient; between the motion of the train and the size of the screen, selecting just the text I want is a bit tricky.  I'm not using it to type up notes.  The virtual keyboard works, and would likely be fine for taking brief notes, but I would prefer a physical keyboard for lengthy or sustained typing.

Posts 2239
David Thomas | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 19 2014 2:23 PM

I have the Surface Pro and find it is one device that replaces many. At my desk I have it connected to an external monitor and mouse for "heavy study". At the library or coffeeshop the attached keyboard and stylus allow me to be efficient with my time. In the pulpit I remove the keyboard and the tablet form works great lying flat or easily carried if I am in a more casual setting. Doing outdoor weddings is great because I don't have to worry about blowing pages.

Making Disciples!  Logos Ecosystem = Logos8 on Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (Win10), Android app on tablet, FSB on iPhone, [deprecated] Windows App, Proclaim, Faithlife.com, FaithlifeTV via Connect subscription.

Posts 16
Barry Stewart | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 19 2014 7:22 PM

Wow! Thanks for all the great input.  My son is not on this forum, but I'm sending a link to him and I'll post any responses he has.  It may not be immediately, because he is involved in a youth retreat this weekend.

I'm sure he will get a lot from your comments.

PS my comment about formats was about the extensions a file needs to be read on different readers. This is what I was referring to - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_e-book_formats

I think he has the funds to get something more than basic.  Also, as far as study, I know it would have to include limited references on a tablet.  He does most study on his win8 laptop.

Posts 9402
Forum MVP
Bruce Dunning | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 19 2014 7:31 PM

I love using my iPad mini for Logos reading. It is amazing. When I don't have wifi I tend to use my iPhone.

Using adventure and community to challenge young people to continually say "yes" to God

Posts 28686
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 19 2014 7:46 PM

Barry Stewart:
PS my comment about formats was about the extensions a file needs to be read on different readers. This is what I was referring to - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_e-book_formats

Thanks for clarifying. The question is irrelevant. You are only talking about one "format"... Logos. If Logos makes an app for the platform, then the "format" (Logos) by definition will be compatible. 

Barry Stewart:
He does most study on his win8 laptop.

My caution: Make sure he does NOT get a win8 "Windows RT" tablet. These are crippled windows tablets which can NOT run Logos5, nor does Logos make a real mobile app for that platform. He really has three basic choices:

1. iOS (iPad)
  2. Android
  3. Windows Pro (including Surface Pro)

Honestly, the "best" choice for him might be the companion to whatever smart phone he has (if any). This has nothing to do with the compatibility of L5 on his laptop vs. his mobile device, but has everything to do with the compatibility of his non logos phone applications with his tablet's non logos applications. 

I am "all in" on Apple products. My contacts are always available to me on my computers, iPad and iPhone... as are my photos, music, documents, calendar, etc. An android user might find similar benefits to have both an Android phone and tablet. 

I really would caution you about having him purchase anything until mid-october. Even if he decides to purchase something other than an iPad, the cost of those other tablets might drop after the announcement. 

Posts 2854
Mike Childs | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 19 2014 8:47 PM

If he wants a. tablet that will run the full Logos 5 software very well, the best option is the Microsoft Surface Pro 2 or 3.  It does a superb job and is the only tablet that can totally replace a laptop or even a desk computer, while making an excellent tablet.

It is the only tablet or computer that I use.

"In all cases, the Church is to be judged by the Scripture, not the Scripture by the Church," John Wesley

Posts 25
J. T. Shortt | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 19 2014 9:14 PM

Hi Barry,

I currently use the Microsoft Surface Pro 2 and really like it. The power to run full Logos and portable. I would look at the Surface Pro 3, bigger screen and weighs less.

In the past 4 years I have gone from a 17" laptop to a 15.6" down to the Surface Pro. I missed the screen space at first but adjusted. I have thought about docking it at home so I could set up dual monitors but so far haven't spent the money.

I do not own a tablet or iPad to compare but if the apps are similar to what the android app on my phone is like, I would not go with less than the full software package.

J.T.

Posts 408
Erik | Forum Activity | Replied: Fri, Sep 19 2014 11:02 PM

alabama24:

"Ease of reading" - A retina display is best.

I have nothing against Apple, but "Retina" is not a technology, it is a marketing term and not a technological description.  Plenty of other manufacturers have displays with higher resolutions than the Retina display.  Again, Retina displays are nice, but let's be clear on what it really is...marketing of a high resolution screen.  You can get just as high a resolution (if not higher) in other devices like the Yoga 2 Pro.

Posts 28686
Forum MVP
JT (alabama24) | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 20 2014 5:37 AM

Erik:
Plenty of other manufacturers have displays with higher resolutions than the Retina display.

I wasn't meaning to imply "Apple is better than all the others." I wasn't trying to say "apple's 'retina' display" is better than "other manufacturer's HD display's." I simply meant "get a high resolution screen."

Now that I think about it... Stick out tongue

In favor of Apple's "retina"... Having a "high resolution" screen in general is better than not having one... but not all the time. A "high resolution" screen <might> mean everything appears teeny tiny on the display. So in that regard, Apple's "retina" display might be better than some other choices... I have no experience with any of the others so I can't speak to them. I can only speak to the absolutely awful "high definition" display on my work laptop. It stunk. I nearly went blind trying to use the stupid thing. I kept it in clam shell mode 24/7 and used non-retina external monitors.

Posts 1130
Keith Larson | Forum Activity | Replied: Sat, Sep 20 2014 8:09 AM

Here is something else to consider…

Are tablets overrated? I am seriously wrestling with this. Don’t get me wrong, I love my iPad mini, but the other day it occurred to me that I rarely actually hold the thing in my hands to read. At the coffee shop I prompt up on a stand, in my easy chair I use one of those lap pillows with a stand, in bed I use my old “Lap Genie” laptop stand. Moreover, during long sessions of reading my finger gets much more tired turning pages than just hitting the space bar when reading in the desktop/laptop version of Logos.

Also has anyone else noticed how many people have their “tablets” in keyboard cases that essentially turn their “tablet” into a laptop that only weights a few ounces less than a 11’ MacBook Air? All they are in the end is are notebooks with a second rate keyboards.

As tempting as the new iPad Air 2s will be, I am starting to wonder if the 12’ Retina MacBook Air will not really the idea mobile Logos reading platform. This new MacBook Air should be as light as many tablet/keyboard combos, will have a great display for reading with a built-in stand. Moreover, it will have what is regarded as best keyboard and touchpad on the market. Best of all, it will run the full version of Logos!

Page 1 of 2 (32 items) 1 2 Next > | RSS